Cavalier or cocker? General Chat

Discussion in 'Cocker Spaniel' started by pam2, May 22, 2010.

1. pam2

pam2 New Member

Name:
    Pam

Cavalier or cocker?

I am thinking of getting a cocker spaniel, a breed I have had before (lost my blue roan Ben last year) or maybe a cavalier, a breed I have also had in the past but nearly 20yrs ago!
    The many health problems in the cavalier are putting me off a bit, not to mention the problem of getting a breeder in Scotland who health tests their dogs.
    Any ideas?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    Why not look for breeders in both breeds? Find one that health tests and go and meet them and there dogs ect, view pups, or put your name done on a list! when your happy with the breeder, there ethics and there dogs..You can stop looking into other breeders, be honest with them and let them know you are intrested in both breeds, and havent made up your mind!
    Just a thought? Me personally would go with the cocker :D :049:
    Good luck!
  4. rickyspringer

rickyspringer

Name:
    Richy
    to me it would be a nicely bred working cocker, not full of field trial breeding, but something to keep you active and have fun with:grin:
  5. Kaida

Kaida New Member

Name:
    Lucy
    I have one of each. I wouldn't get another cavalier, ever, purely because of the health issues. Temperament-wise, they're amazing dogs, my favourite, but I'd dread to think how much I've spent on Zack's vet bills, not to mention the heartache for me and the suffering for him.

Zack was bought from a breeder who does health test, but the breed is in so much trouble that still doesn't mean you get a healthy dog.

Off the top of my head, I remember:

• Skin problems, twice (turned out to be allergies, needed prescription shampoo and a steroid injection)
    • Retained testicle (operation to remove it)
    • Tear-duct problem (needed flushing out and then eye drops)
    • Borderline hip dysplasia (pain killers)
    • Some sort of probable spinal problem (pain killers and keep an eye on it, may need surgery later)
    • Colitis (change in diet for long-term management, when it has been acute he's needed medication)
    • Patella luxation (pain killers)
    • Elongated soft pallette (operation last week to cut it back)

He's 3 years old. In the future he WILL get mitral valve disease (darn near 100% of cavaliers do, and the cardiologist I saw last week wasn't sure if she could hear a murmur already), and there's quite a high chance of him getting syringomyelia.

My cocker is a lovely dog, but harder work than my cavalier. What is it you like about each breed?
  6. pam2

pam2 New Member

Name:
    Pam
    Hi Kaida, Sorry to hear about Zack's health problems, but sadly I think most cavaliers have some kind of health problems, especially their hearts and SM. Trying to find a breeder who MRI tests was hard and their dogs were very expensive too. Most people with a cavalier I have spoken to praise the natures of their dogs then go on to tell me of some kind of health problem with their dogs, sadly most of them have been overweight too!.
    I like the natures, size and looks of both cavalier and cocker spaniels. To be honest I will probably go for another cocker spaniel or having met an american cocker I've been looking at them too, I just think most spaniels have great natures :)
  7. enerosar

enerosar New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Hi, just to add my experiance of both breeds, I have only ever owned cavaliers but have known many cockers. Sadly yes your right nearly all Cavs will die from MVD or even worse suffer from SM. I lost my 3 boys from MVD at 10yrs, 11yr and 7yr all from health checked stock the 7yr old was infact the son to my stud dog who passed away 3days before him.
    I was looking for another dog the other week and couldnt even consider a cav, they are the best dogs ever but i couldnt go through the pain or put them through the pain that they will have to suffer.
    I dont know a great deal about the English Cocker but they are great dogs, lovely characters. The Americas (my dream dog) i have always found much more well Cavalier like. As in the ones i have met and worked with have been calmer happy to just sit and wait untill its there turn to be groomed (was a groomer) there coat is much thicker than the English Cockers.

Me, id go with the American Cocker.:002:
  8. Kaida

Kaida New Member

Name:
    Lucy
    I'd be worried about IMHA in American cockers, otherwise I'd have had one over my English, tbh. Lovely dogs, but so inbred they've got too much of a propensity for immune problems. If I could find a line in the UK that was clear of IMHA I'd have one in a flash.
  9. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    I would steer clear of working cockers as 99% of breeders do no health testing at all-not even eyes.

Working Cockers are also high maintenance ie they need mental stimulation on a daily basis & TBH do not make good pets.

Show cocker breeders do tend to do minimal test testing & they do require more physical maintence-ie grooming, but less mental stimulation than their working counterparts

Cavaliers may have a "history"of health problems, but having been involved with the breed since 1996 & 8 cavaliers(3 still with me)yes they do have MVD problems & we did lose 3 around the 7 year mark, however Kaycee was nearly 12 when he died & Loukar & JD are now 9 + & Lou has just gone on to health medication.

Our youngest Roodee comes from SM clinically clear two generations, older parents & grand parents(sire is over 7 & still has clear heart)& are from a long & healthy line of dogs. I didn't get him locally & it is because people do not cast their search more than a few miles that they do not find good breeders. We had an over 400 mile round trip to collect him & he wasn't cheap, but he is definitely worth it. He doesn't have a pedigree full of top winning dogs-just full of health long tlved ones !