Greyhound not getting on with cat Behaviour

Discussion in 'Greyhound' started by gazza56, Jun 7, 2010.

1. gazza56

gazza56 New Member

Name:
    garry

Greyhound not getting on with cat

i do not know if this subject has been touched on before but if anyone has any pointers i would be grateful. first a bit of history ,we had two greyhounds and a cat they all got on quite well , then earlier on this year we lost our brindle(millie).well we had no lntention of getting another dog but alas our remining greyhound(jo jo) went into meltdown all she did was cry and whine did nt want to eat or walk so after 6 weeks of this we decided to get another greyhound so after a lot of trials with dogs that jo jo would get on with we adopted molly a beatiful 5 year old bitch . jo jo is now a changed dog but the problem is molly won t get on with the cat . a couple of times she has attacked the cat. now i know that it is going to be hard but we are 5 weeks down the road and we are nt really making any progress , so if any one out there has any ideas i would be so grateful
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. zoe1969

zoe1969 New Member

Name:
    Zoe
    Did you get her from a rescue? If so....did they not cat test her?
    My greyhound hates cats and so do my 2 lurchers...in fact one of them killed a cat earlier this year.
    I do believe it's possible to train a grey to live with cats but i'm not sure how to go about it.
    If she's an ex-racer it may be more difficult.
    I hope you manage to sort it out. xx
  4. 2Greys

2Greys New Member

Name:
    G
    If Molly's already attacked the cat maybe she's not really suitable to be homed with them or possibly just doesn't like your cat. Have you contacted the place you got her from for advice?
  5. mad4foxhounds

mad4foxhounds New Member

Name:
    jackie
    same with lot of hound breds, sometimes their pray drive is stronger than others of the same breed, try the place you got her from, if a shelter they may come out and give youadvice or even recomed a trainer or behaviourist that may help, what i have tried with my hounds was clicker train tham to at least to tolarate the cats, but ive still got a hound that would try her hardest to get to a cat. my personal pref is dogs to bitchs as bitches in my breed have more hunting drive, dogs i find a little more layed back, good luck.
  6. Kev Stow

Kev Stow New Member

Name:
    Kev
  7. Luchi

Luchi New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Hi,

I came across this which may be of help.

http://www.greyhounds4u.co.uk/cats_and_dogs.html

Hope it works out. I have 4 cats and an 8 month old Cane Corso, she will chase them if they run, but I think more playful then meaning any harm.
  8. gazza56

gazza56 New Member

Name:
    garry
    thanks alot everyone for your ideas and links i think we are going in the right direction but it just needs some back up somtimes. i think we got lucky with our 1st grey .we are nt giving up and i will keep people updated thanks again
  9. honeysmummy

honeysmummy New Member

Name:
    Cass
    I have cat trained my greyhound to live with my cat.
    please, it is NOT acceptable to let your dog attack the cat they should be kept seperate if this is happening, then introduced slowly with your hound wearing a muzzle.
    This should happen for as long as needed until you think your hound looks relaxed (probably several weeks). Then the muzzle can come off with you sitting inbetween the cat and dog to start with.

Your hound is much more likely to attack the cat if it sees it run, then it will give chase...so try and prevent situations where the cat has space to leg it unless you have a firm grip on the lead.

Here is a link from GRWE
    http://www.grwe.com/downloads/factsheet12-catsandothersmallanimals.pdf

I believe you can train pretty much any hound to get on with a house cat....but can take months of patience and TIME!!! They will always look at other cats when your out and about and that is one thing you must remember and be careful of!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2010
  10. honeysmummy

honeysmummy New Member

Name:
    Cass
    This may help - taken from GRWE

Use the muzzle provided, and have the dog on a lead.
    Make sure the dog and cat meet from the start, preferably in a small room.
    Ensure the cat ca not run away during the introduction, as this will promote a chase instinct before they are both aware that they are members of the same family and need to get on.
    Stroke the cat then the dog, you are passing the scent from one to the other.
    Keep introducing the cat to the dog to gauge his interest, try to allow the cat to walk through his legs, and then raise the cat to eye level so as they can make eye contact. Ensure the safety of the dogs eyes if the cat is showing any signs of aggression.