Is there an easy way to open a boxer's jaws Questions

Discussion in 'Boxer' started by Carole, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole

Is there an easy way to open a boxer's jaws

We are having problems getting Star to open her mouth to get her worming tablets (or any tablets really). Her jaws clamp shut and it takes 2 people to force them open enough to slide a tablet in :shock: I did not realise how strong her jaws were until now. No wonder some people believe that jaws lock :lol:

This is a last resort as she used to take tablets when they are wrapped in cheese but has gotten wise to us now.

So is there anything we can do to open her jaws any easier?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Hevvur

Hevvur New Member

Name:
    Heather
    I used to have the same problem with Teagan..so I used to give her tablets in different things...she likes them with a knob of butter, ham, cheese........
    but now,.....she actually will eat them straight from her food...she picks them out and eats them seperately.
    Also, she is on metacam, and I got told dogs don't like it...she opens her mouth and waits for me to give it to her!!!
  4. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole
    I used to give Star tablets in cheese and meats but she eats the cheese and spits out the tablet now :evil:

Finn eats them straight from my hand too :?
  5. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Try crushing the tablets up.........put onto a peice of bread,with lots of butter or jam anything that they cant resist........works for mine! ;-)
  6. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole
    might try that next time Jackie :) thanks :)
  7. leo

leo

Name:
    marie
    only whats been said, ain't it strange how they shut up shop when it comes to pills,
    i can wrap them in any thing the food goes down the tablet is on the floor.
    the only other thing is to keep changing the food so they don't get wise to the treat or the pill poppers for tablets, not that i had much luck with them as tob's pills wouldn't fit inside.
    if you clean her teeth trick her get the toothbrush out and throw it in........lol
  8. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole
    It is a nightmare :evil: but you have to laugh when she puts on that determined face as Star wont give up easily. We tried the pill treats before, they got eaten and the pill ended up on the floor :rolleyes:

She does like getting her teeth brushed but will only open her mouth just enough for the toothbrush :)
  9. geordieboxerlover

geordieboxerlover New Member

Name:
    susan
    i 've never really had a problem carole
    i just hook my finger into side of mouth and slip pill down side of throat
    with my finger
    or if there not playing game i somtimes hook my 2 thumbs at either side of mouth lift it up and push pill down that way
    dunno if that helps i'm not very good explaining myself :roll:
    oh another way is to stand over them so your straddling them :shock:
  10. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole
    thanks :) all these ideas to try next time :) Finn just looks at her as if to say what is all the fuss about :? he is just so greedy and will eat anything though.
  11. Gellygoo

Gellygoo New Member

Name:
    Gillian or Gill whichever
    Same here with Gelly, I cut bread and butter into soldiers, roll each one up and put the tablets in some of the rolls, that way she eats the lot.
  12. leo

leo

Name:
    marie
    only cause finn hasn't sussed it yet, hol has now and shes as bad as him.......... they spit them out together.
  13. RobK

RobK New Member

Name:
    Robert
    LOL You have a very smart dog Carole!!
  14. Shadowboxer

Shadowboxer Fondly Remembered

Name:
    SB
    You can train dogs to 'open' on command. Start gradually with just a tiny open using one hand under the jaw and the other hand over the muzzle with thumb & forefinger behind the canines. As soon as the mouth opens under gentle pressure from your hand put the command on it and pop in a treat. Very gradually get wider opens. Of course, Star may now be too suspicious that you are going to sneak a tablet in to oblige with even the teeniest open :lol: but try with whatever her favourite treat is.
  15. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole
    thanks SB will have a go and see if she will open her mouth that way :)

Rob she is too smart for her own good at times :lol:
  16. Steve

Steve New Member

Name:
    Steven-i guess that suprised you...
    I used to grind to dust the many tablets Abe was prescribed then add to his food because he too used to clamp his jaws shut and i couldnt open them!

I too tried wrapping them up in cheese etc,but he would spit the damn things out.
  17. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    I have never had a problem giving a dog pills and do much the same as the others ..:D

First I tilt the dogs head slightly upwards, put my hand over the top of the nose and with my thumb on one side and fingers on the other gently push the skin on the side of the mouth inwards towards the teeth and the jaw will automaticaly open..pop the pill down the throat and quickly close the dogs mouth. Now stroke the throat in a downward movement to make the dog swallow..now praise and treat :D
    Amy has to have a heart pill every day and sits waiting for it at 7pm , it is followed by a treat..usually cheese.
    If you think giving a pill to a dog is difficult try giving one to a tortoise, they have jaws of steel and can almost remove a finger :lol:
  18. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole
    Star must be a tortoise :shock: Will have a try at opening her mouth that way :) thanks Mini
  19. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie
    To get her used to having her mouth opened being a positive experience why not give her a treat just for opening her jaw a bit. She probably has got into the habit of slamming her mouth shut because she associates having to open her mouth with a negative experience (ie: getting a pill)? Try starting off by just sliding your finger into her mouth and give her a treat when she allows this. Keep giving the same command (I use 'open') Then build it up so she will eventually allow you to open her mush! ;-)

Ozzy used to be reluctant having his mouth opened for pills but he is fine now as he knows he always gets a biscuit for being good!

If all else fails try putting the pill into liver cake, give a couple of bits then the bit with the pill in, gives them less chance of figuring it out as they are concentrating on the next titbit!!!

Good luck!
  20. elvis's_Mummy

elvis's_Mummy New Member

Name:
    Hannah
    I give Elvis the pedigree Chum tabs (some kinda meat flavour), they must be yummy as Elvis is sooooooooo fussy but he eats them straight up!

But sorry, no easy solution to opening a boxer's jaw.
  21. ooee

ooee New Member

Hi Carole :)

I think some tablets come coated with chicken flavour or something which makes the dogs want to eat them? They are called "palatable" tablets I think.

We are lucky, Archie will eat any pill out of his food bowl or our hands as if it was a treat :roll: