German Shorthaired Pointers and Dalmatians - Do they go well together? Questions

Discussion in 'German Shorthaired Pointer' started by Wyrd, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha

German Shorthaired Pointers and Dalmatians - Do they go well together?

Does anyone know how well these breeds go together?

I would have thought with both of them being high energy breeds they would be fairly compatible, but would love to hear from someone who has some experience both :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    I only have a GSP but I would have thought that they'd get on quite well.
    Very different breeds often get on well so I couldn't see why a Dal and Gsp wouldn't. I should think they'd play a lot :lol: (like our gsp and viz).
    I think obviousy it would also depend on the individual dogs more than what breed it is but see no reason (if both dogs were good) why they wouldn't get on really well.

Sophie
  4. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    Playing is the plan :lol:

I am thinking then when I finally move to my smallholding and I have the space I will get another younger dog for Cooper to play and run with.
    I saw a lovely German Wirehaired Pointer when we were walking the other day and the GSP was on my list and I do like my gundogs :)
  5. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    I don't see any problems with that combination, a GSP would make a very good companion for your Dali. Bear in mind though that GSPs are not only high energy but also very intelligent. You will still need to spend a lot of time on training it in the first couple of years otherwise you could end up with an anxious, destructive menace with no recall, that kills sheep. I see lots like that on GSP Rescue.
  6. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Would be a great match, but having that combination of breeds would majorly keep you on your toes. If you have the time and energy though; great.

I know I couldn't have two super high energy dogs. One is plenty enough, two would drive me insane.
  7. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    I am spending more than half my time now attempting to train the Dali now :lol:

Having read up on GSP's I think they are slightly more eager to please than Dalis?
  8. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    The properties I am looking at are close to forestry where they can be walked/run after the horses whilst riding and they will have free rein over the land I have so I am hoping they will be fairly well exercised, thats the plan anyway :lol:
  9. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    Um I'm afraid that is probably quite doubtful GSPs can be very stubborn and it can be an utter nightmare stopping them from chasing hares etc they will get out and hunt (or at least they sould do as is just what the breed is meant to do and for me a GSP that didn't hunt is a fault as they should work) and many owners find recall very hard until they are over 2 years old +, also they can be hard to train to walk nicely on a lead. Yes I'd watch out for nervous lines or ones with an iffy temperament, I have a german bred GSP who has almost all german breed champions behind him (in his pedidgree) so his temperament is faultless.

I'd recomend seeing quite a few from different lines before getting one.

HTH

Sophie :grin:
  10. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    I posted at the same time.

Make sure you have good fences or they could be over the hills and far away hunting :lol: and recall will be made quite hard if you get one that is a headstrong 'hunting machine' and is left to go off on it's own 'hunting trips' as it will enjoy hunting more than coming back.

Also two dogs I think in some ways are easier as will tire each other out, just make sure you train them separatly because they will copy each other running off etc or a GSP will run off anyway and then you got two dogs to try and get back.

And so long as trained they should be ok with horses

Having said all this my boy is fab but I knew quite a bit about the breed and line before I got him so knew how to go about things
  11. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    I find GSPs are very driven dogs, that need to work. And they also need people, and are quite sensitive. I have a feeling a Dally would soon lose interest in the GSP who will totally ignore him when on a scent (which will be most of the time when he`s out). I`m sure they would play at home but you might have your work cut out keeping track of the pair while out.
  12. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Yes, I think that in the house the Dali and GSP would be best buddies but once out on a walk, their different breed roles would perhaps be more evident. MY OH's GSP has no time for anything other than hunting when out on a walk. When she doesn get involved in any doggy play, she soon gets bored and her nose takes over again.

Dont be led to believe that GSP's are eager to please, this needs to be worked at. They have to learn to work for you otherwise they are only interested in working for themselves and will willingly ignore you if there is something better to do.

As far as energy levels go though, they are fairly compatible.
  13. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    I don't know about Dalis but I wouldn't describe GSPs as eager to please. They love to do anything work related but ask them to do something they think is pointless or repetitive, forget it, it's like pushing jelly uphill with a fork.
  14. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    :lol: great phrase my GSP loves to spin around in circles when asked to for food :roll: but thats about it :lol: but he is one of, if not the most obiedient dog at our trainings classes but also one of, if not the hardest work to train there. (my next dog is going to be small hairy and easier to train :lol:) but GSPs are super gundogs IMO and I can't see my self being with out one now.

Heres a photo of mine at a year old he has filled out a bit more since that photo (just over 38kg / just over 27'' tall):
    [​IMG]
    ps it's very hard to get one to stand not facing in to the wind :lol:
  15. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    I have a weim and a dally cross lab (more the energy and slight manic properties of the dal temp though!). They do get on well at home but on a walk they tend to ignore each other. Both can be quite 'hunty' but the weim moreso. What I will say is be careful they don't 'clash'. My 2 had a pretty nasty scrap before the younger was spayed (4 years between them) and are now always separate when unattended. They have been fine since but with them both being very similar in many ways (both quite dominant bitches) I always do keep an eye things don't get out of hand now, having said that, that's bitches for you. I'd advise you got one of the opposite sex, but that's just from my own personal experience.

They do play constant at home in the garden and they play rough and they both tire around the same time and then flake out.
  16. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    My mum has been drooling over Springer Spaniels, so anyone have any experience of Springers and Dalmatians? :)
  17. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    :lol: I am sure there are many springer owners to help you on here and they might be less hunty than a GSP but they are still a gundog that I think would prefer to hunt than play but I could be wrong but when out on a shoot the dogs of what ever gundog breed don't really want to play on interact with other dogs they just want to get on with the job but that is out on a shoot not wondering around fields....

I know you'd like a gundog and thats understandable as they are lovely but having a whippet I can tell you that they are VERY playful and race around like loonys and would be ideal for racing around and playing with a Dali as they are very cheeky not trying to put ideas in your head as you might not want one, but just a thought.

Also flatcoats are really super dogs there is a fantastic pair in the village that I used to walk they would be good to as are much, much less hunty than a GSP and like to play.

Added: Just read your list of dogs I see you already have a retriever x but I hope you find your ideal dog, good luck
  18. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    I don't mind if they aren't playful when out on a walk as the dogs are all to busy exploring, but I want a fairly playful breed when in the house and one that can keep up with a Dali on a walk and do the same amount of exercise.

I love flatcoats but I have decided not to get one as they look too much like my retriever x.

My mum lost her own dog 2 years ago and is getting to that stage where she wants another of her own, she likes springers and cockers, but she also likes GSP's, I don't think she wants a dalmatian, I wonder why :lol: I can see her more with a smaller breed though, but I wouldn't want it to get jumped on by Cooper.
  19. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    38kg and 27"???!!! Thats huge!! I do wonder sometimes perhaps if breeders are breeding dogs too big. Some of the GWP's are way over what the breed standard says and i'm not sure if thats such a good thing in the field. I consider Flynn to be small compared to similar HPR's but he's bang on in weight and height for both a GWP and SRHP.
  20. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    My Shamus shorthair is 27" and nearly 38K as well. And yes, I think he`s far too big. He`s not nearly as agile as my last GSP who was half his size but could get over, under or through anything in front of him (including a 6` scale). He used to go through thick cover like a knife through butter. Poor Shamus can just about get through a hole that you could fit a portly child through. :lol:
  21. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    Sounds like cooper would get on well with my GSP as he's quite full on.

27'' is big in the UK but not too big in Germany his sire is the same height and looks just like Bertie but looks like him on steriods as he is such a fit working dog and he is considered to have VERY VERY good confromation in Germany 'V1' being the highest grade you can get Bertie dam also got graded 'V1'.
    Have heard that years ago the UK lowered the height standard and Germany upped it a little so in GSPs in the UK they are breeding smaller not bigger (apart from the ones who breed more european type dogs) I have been to shows and met a lady who shows her GSPs in europe and she thought Bertie was stunning and that they'd love him europe (not trying to boast or anything just trying to show what I mean) I prefer the european GSPs to some of the UK ones for various reasons.
    But I think it all comes down to what you prefer really.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2010