Neapolitan Mastiffs - anyone have any experience of them? Discussions

Discussion in 'Neapolitan Mastiff' started by Murf, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf

Neapolitan Mastiffs - anyone have any experience of them?

Does anyone have personal experiences of the Neo mastiff???

I just read Shona's story of her rescue of Millie, what a sad story that was ... thanks in advance ...
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. NeoTed

NeoTed New Member

Name:
    Carla
    We have a rescue Neopolitan mastiff, Ted. We have only had him since February and he is our first but if we can help?
  4. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    I hope to meet some at discover dogs .. How active is yours?? How high maintance is the skin? Hows he around other dogs???
    The good and bad things you have found really...thanks
  5. NeoTed

NeoTed New Member

Name:
    Carla
    As a rescue we're not sure how old he is exactly, 7 -9 yrs and the word 'activity' is slightly alien to him :shock: Maybe its his age. He has a 30 - 60 minute walk twice a day as a regular thing. Then when the O/H is home we go out to country parks etc and he will walk for about 1 - 2 hrs. He heads for the car when he's had enough.
    He is wary of strange people and those that show wariness of him. He doesnt like new places but is getting better the more places and people we meet. He has bonded VERY closely with both of us. It was 3 months before we heard him bark! He was closed in the kitchen and a workman was at the door. When he heard his voice he barked. A deep rumbling sound that came up from his belly :shock: enough to scare anyone! He is absolutely brilliant with other dogs, very chilled and well mannered. Even when dogs growl or bark.
    Ted is not very wrinkly but he does moult quite a bit. No problems with his skin.
    Even though he was underweight when we first got him he is not food aggressive. He's not fussed with toys or even bones! He takes treats gently.
    Now, saying all that I am convinced someone put in the hard work training him and did a really good job (shame they didnt want him for life!) I think the other problems came when he was a stray.
  6. sarah8

sarah8 New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Hi

Ted sounds lovely - how is the drool? I'm used to drool over my lower leg, base cupboards etc having a Basset but have found it on my ceiling once or twice - does he drool a lot? Or just when he eats/drinks etc.

Do you have any pictures you can post?

I have always wondered about this breed, I have often admired them from a distance.

Thanks

Sarah
  7. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    The mother in law has a male working type Neo with hardly any wrinkles or loose skin..His structure is sound and is one of the most agile and athletic mastiffs I'v personally seen. His temp is great too, so gentle to family and friends but if a stranger tried getting in the house or started any trouble with his master whilest out ( not that any sane person would ) he is a formidable presence to say the least!!

I'll get a few pics in the next few days if I can get round there.
  8. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    please do ....the first neo i saw many years ago was far from loose skinned ...
  9. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    I had a rescued Neo many moons ago now, she was frought with many problems, by 7 years old she was almost a cripple as two bones popped in her back and pinched her spinal chord, saw her through the operation after she was referred to a spinal injuries unit by my own vet who couldn't treat her after rushing her in one Sunday afternoon (took me and two other people to lift her into the boot of my motor) many walked on by though as I asked for help to get her into my car!!

Did think about having another before I had my Corso but decided against it after getting my previous dog through an operation on her back which left me over £4000 light!!

Very expensive breed, if things start to go wrong!
  10. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Seems to be a lot of neo cross cane corsos about ,,
  11. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    I don't think I'd have a Neo x Corso, I'd either have one or the other.

I'm on my first Corso and would have another - but up to my limit on dogs at the moment I'm running out of space :lol: :lol:

Sadie my Neo, healthwise, was a nightmare she seemed to be at the vets every other week after she went down with spinal problems, couldn't tell you if spinal problems in the breed are breed specific as I wouldn't know ( I never got that far into researching after I was warned not to have another ) many people who I come across on other places whom have Neo's seem to have an awful lot of problems with them - Infact one of my dearest internet friends (who is oversea's who knows all about Molossers) talked me out of going with another Neo before I made the decision to have another dog, I then decided to go with the Corso and I was reassured a Corso was a ''great choice''...And I have to say, having my Corso is probably one of the best decisions I ever made, I haven't looked back, he's been easy to train, he's highly intelligent and been a complete pleasure to own from day one, he hasn't dissapointed me he's a brilliant dog, though he is getting to be rather on the large side (much bigger than my Dobermann lady now) he isn't a year old until Late January, so loads more growing to do.

He's as soft as butter and would walk off with anyone whom showed him some fuss :lol: :lol:
    A real gentleman of a boy and nothing more than a big baby, though their reputation can be fearsome when doing read ups for reasearch purposes, personally I wouldn't believe a word going on my own experience of owning the Corso, brilliant all round family dogs - kids, babies, toddlers, other dogs, cats, he's took it all on the chin, he's been absolutely outstanding as a family member - they are a naturally protective breed with their families though and this is something that needs to be kept on top of - infact one Corso I currently know of has been handed into rescue for defending a member of it's family (which is a poor excuse imo for letting a dog go into rescue), but obviously something that needs to be nipped in the bud.
  12. NeoTed

NeoTed New Member

Name:
    Carla
    Ted only drools when he drinks, then not really very much...he has his own towel in the kitchen.
    He's not that wrinkly either. No problems with joints etc that we can see. His muscles weren't very toned when we got him, but with regular walks they look much better.
  13. NeoTed

NeoTed New Member

Name:
    Carla
  14. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Look at that face ,,,:grin:
  15. Luchi

Luchi New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Bless him, such a cutie. :grin:
  16. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Oh I love him, he is devine!!:grin:
  17. sarah8

sarah8 New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Ted looks a handsome devil. I don't like them too wrinkly. He would suit me perfectly lol Thanks for the pic.
  18. musky

musky New Member

Name:
    Kay
    We had a rescue Neapolitan mastiff called Jade, She was 14years old when we lost her to cancer in 2008, but i was told that is a brilliant age for neo's, She had a wonderful temperament, in fact she was really easy going, but she was the only one that i have ever met so my experience is limited to her,
    She only drooled after drinking, and only had a few wrinkles,
    Jade was 2 years old when we got her and i noticed that she would bump into things, because she was walking around with her eyes shut, she had ingrowing eyelashes and ended up having to have both her eyes operated on, the operation was a complete success.
    She was great around other dogs,
    Due to jade's size {9stone} the veterinary bills was enormous, this was probably the only down side to owning our beloved Jade

Jade was a big part of our family and will always be missed she was a real star

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. NeoTed

NeoTed New Member

Name:
    Carla
    She was beautiful x
  20. Luke

Luke New Member

all these neos are lovely and so moderately wrinkled, the picture of health! Where do they come from?!? I'm so envious, they are gorgeous and such a world apart from the usual that one sees!