American Staffordshire bull terriers .. again.. Discussions

Discussion in 'Bull Breeds Forum' started by Murf, Oct 15, 2010.

1. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    That still means absolutely nothing, dogs are seized all the time for just looking a certain way.

It would be like people trying to race a wippet against greyhounds, why do it when you can get a real greyhound ???
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    you can also on some registries dual register american bulldogs and pitbulls....figure that one out lol

Amstaff is a pitbull type, outcrossed to other breeds and selectively bred to be easy to handle for "the show ring"..

Not a fighting dog!!!!
  4. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    LOL Ok ;-)

Am Staff History, taken from the book ''The American Staffordshire Terrier'' by Wilfred T Brandon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    You love a good quote don't you!!! lol If you scanned that in yourself I'd say you need to get out a bit more.

That is talking about when they were firtst or early registered, that's a completely different dog than the amstaff is today or has been for the last 3 to 4 decades, back then they were just pitbulls registered as Amstaff, I think the first standard was taken from a Colby pitbull. But nowdays they have been outcrossed to every breed under the sun in the quest for that "perfect conformation".

So like I said they probably do get fought a little, but it would be by morons with no better dogs to spare.
  6. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    No sorry I didn't scan that in myself, sorry to disappoint.
    Needed to get the history in as a few seem confused ;-)

My point being the breeds origins started in England, hence the name ''American Staffordshire Terrier''

Maybe you should read more of Wilfred T Brandons books he goes quite deep into their history, being the head of the commitee that gained them recognition so I am lead to believe.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2010
  7. longford

longford New Member

Name:
    james
    No that is not true A GAME BRED APBT would not have nothing to do with the show fraternity that is why they have there own registery and IM sure you would not have a game bred APBT in a show ring :mrgreen: they were the same but one went down the show route the other went into the pit If I remeber right the American Staffordshire was registered first and that is where the confusion lies but you ask owners of the two types;-) Its a bit like the KC stafford/irish stafford thing.
    Also in the quotes you have posted there is no mention of the American PITBULL terrier as this was proberly before the new registered breed APBT came about but please remember those dogs mentioned in your post were gamebred back then and not show bred.

If you dont believe me ask the above on gamedog forum and see the response lol;-)
  8. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    I have no interest in posting on a APBT game dog forum, why would I? :mrgreen:

Wouldn't matter what I posted, could post away all day but even if I said black was black and white was white you and another still wouldn't agree :mrgreen:

Also, that entry is from a book so not a quote and if you read through proporly the APBT does get quite a few mentions & also where they and the Am Staff originated (even though technically, they are the same breed).
  9. longford

longford New Member

Name:
    james
    technically the same breed but in different leagues;-) bit like a premier team playing a conference team;-)

anyhow not just an apbt forum but a gamedog forum maybe have a read and you would be able to learn a little more
  10. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    I have no interest in learning the differences between the APBT and Am Staff. I already know they are the same breed! What more is there to learn ?
  11. longford

longford New Member

Name:
    james
    maybe what a game dog is all about;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  12. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    Now you're difference to a game dog, is probably completely different to mine - I have no interest in places like that, so enlighten me ? :mrgreen:

What would you're definition of ''game'' be ?
  13. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    That they aren't :lol:
  14. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    To answer what "Game" is on this board would open up a whole can of crap and foolishness that I for one can't be bothered to answer!!!

Like previously said if your genuinly interested join up on a gamedog forum and learn a little.
  15. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    In the eyes of the UKC they ARE the same breed. Maybe you should write to them if you disagree with that, or at least draw it to their attention what you happen to think, maybe you should tell them, you know more than they do.

You should know as well as I do, APBT folk and Am Staff folk split ranks, and in doing that Amstaff was considered a seperate breed by those that own them - to try getting themselves away from dogfighting - but, they also continued to dual register back then - UKC has been dual registering these dogs since 1936 apparently.

That discussion on here has been done before, if you care to take a look. I have no interest in 'game dog forums' they serve absolutely no interest to me at all.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010
  16. dave g

dave g New Member

Name:
    dave
    A game dog pit weights in a about 35lbs to 40 lbs a am staff weights about any think up to 90lbs...
  17. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Really? regardless of height
  18. 3dognight

3dognight

Name:
    phil
    hey guys ...im a pit kind of guy..iv owned several.traind many...currently iv got 2...and two dogos also...oh yes the .the AM/pit..topic...this is what i tell folks.......unless you can fallow a pedigree......you got a pit....they were to seperat breeds as far as we know....crossed loooong ago......some claim that there are origanal blood lines that still excist.for each breed ...i belive that tooo...to much time has passed and i feel they have blended....am lovers.with papers ....have ams....people with pit papers have pit....charictoristic of each breed would lean you to belive thats the type of dog you have ...there are so many looks to a pitt its shocking...old school pit looked different ......look up razors edge... thats were my pits come ......look up am staff...see the dif in general...well one of my pits is tall....most would say hes an amstaff...i call mine pits...are they ......who knows...thats the skinny on pits/am....history is history.....these dogs of today...hummmmmmm....just another angle