Lurchers ARE HOUNDS!!! Controversial

Discussion in 'Lurcher Forum' started by HiHoSilver, Apr 5, 2011.

1. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie

Lurchers ARE HOUNDS!!!

They don't have KC registration it is true but neither do racing greyhounds and threads about THEM stay in this category!The help I'm seeking is more likely to be found here in the Hounds department!
    Anyone who thinks lurchers should NOT be categorised as Hounds?:roll:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Reisu

Reisu New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    I'd class them as hounds too, given what they're generally bred for!
  4. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    Lurchers are crossbreeds.

Lurchers are Sighthound x pastoral/terrier (Grey x BC).
    Longdogs are Sight hound x sighthound (Saluki x grey).

Therefore Lurchers are not hounds.
  5. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Longdogs are mostly (verbal laziness) classed as lurchers - as I have called Mouse a lurcher while strictly speaking she's a longdog (whippet x saluki)
    Both types however are sighthounds.
    If you want to get pedantic,racing greys are lurchers too - they were crossed with bull terriers in the not too far distant past..
  6. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    If you want to get really pedantic - all dogs are crosses ;)

I can see a longdog being classed as a hound because they have two sighthounds that make them but not lurchers.
    I think if you cross over into different groups then it is a cross.
    Louie is a gundog cross - lab x ESS but I still post in the gundog section because he is two parts gundog breeds.
    Lurchers are one part hound, one part another breed, or indeed more than one part another breed.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you that Lurchers were formed because only the rich could own pure greys, and when the poor could they would cross these greys with their farm yard collies and terriers in order to have something that fast do the same job but without the pricetag.
  7. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    With the mix always necessitating a greyhound or whippet, I would say defo "hound".
  8. Reisu

Reisu New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    Well, I guess this being moved into the crossbreed section answers that question... :lol:
  9. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    You're not entirely right about the origin of lurchers.Although it is true that a "common man might not own a greyhound less two toes be struck off his hind feet"(the hound's feet not the man!)the lurcher was bred for poaching.Then as now sighthounds are not famous for their recall and while poaching a dog needed to return to its master reliably and fast should the game warden appear.A touch of non hound blood in the mix was thought to facilitate this - only a touch though as the speed of the HOUND is diminished by too much 'outside' genes.
  10. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    No,it just means a stubborn and inconsiderate mod!
  11. girliebiker

girliebiker New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Lurchers are hounds IMO!!!!!
    I have had two rescues and have always called them HOUNDS!!!:grin:
  12. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Lurchers are crossbreeds, period!
  13. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    I think the clue might just be in the name ... greyHOUND?
  14. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Yes but a Lurcher is anything crossed with a Greyhound, so a crossbreed. technically a cross between two sight-hounds is a longdog but its still a crossbreed.
  15. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Of course it is a crossbreed, but to classify it as a hound-type is accurate. Just as I would classify my dogs as northern-breed types, or your borders as terriers, or labradors as gundogs.
  16. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    But Labs ARE Gundogs, Borders ARE Terriers, your dog is a "type" and so is the Lurcher. End of the day, does it matter?:? :002:
  17. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    No!! I love lurchers and I suspect you do too! I am just being my usual argumentative self :mrgreen: v:mrgreen:
  18. TomtheLurcher

TomtheLurcher New Member

Name:
    Maureen
    I think lurchers are more hound than anything but if the hound category is for pure hounds then I can play in both with my grey and my lurcher hound. At the end of the day does it matter , ty to the romanys for beating the gentry rules about hound ownership all those years ago and breeding lurchers, sure brings a lotta smiles to my life !! ;-)
  19. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    It matters in this instance as I need help to trace the owners of 2 lurchers.If they're posted anywhere it'll be on HOUND sites.The people on Dogsey most likely to know where I can find these sites funnily enough are the HOUND lovers.I wouldn't look in this section for info on lurchers...
  20. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Mee too!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  21. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Ah, you see, I know you so well!! :008: