Building a run for wolf lookalikes Questions

Discussion in 'Spitz Forum' started by liz & kiesha, May 4, 2011.

1. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz

Building a run for wolf lookalikes

While i am by no means suggesting this is the perfect run (i'm not) i hope this will be a guide / starting point for anybody who has no idea where to start and hopefully when you build yours you can point out where ours could be improved so we all work towards the 'ideal' run to contain our dogs while out / at work ect.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2011
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    why do "wolf lookaklikes" need a run?
  4. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Why does any dog need a run?

Its not supposed to be a contriversial topic, its a help topic for anyone who needs one for whatever reason you need a dog run for. This one seems suitable for this type of dog imo and if anyone would care to comment on improvements from their point of view of owning this type of dog or building a run for it then that would be great as surely thats the point of a dog forum community. to help each other ;-)
  5. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    Im not being narky...just genuinely curious.
  6. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    Looks very safari park to me ..... why not just dogproof the garden?
  7. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Kerri -l i hope the above post clarifies, does it, or can i help you understand any further? Would be happy to oblige.
  8. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    That is my garden :shock:
  9. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    Sorry, I dont like it. Looks a big Zoo like to me. I know northern breeds need proper fencing tho, so can see why you would have it
  10. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    Sorry I don't think my post made sense - I mean the whole garden if you are workingw ith a large area anyway :)
  11. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Thank you, yes northern breeds do tend to be diggers so its important to be safe especially when northern breeds are known to have a high prey drive and you live in farming community.
    The thread is mearly intended to help or be a rough guide/ starting point for people with this type of dog.

Fencing is always a work in progress.
  12. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
  13. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Its all well and good saying dog proof the garden but not always as easily done as said. I dog proofed mine and all was well until the stupid man on the back decided to start feeding his cat behind my fence line more than 20ft away from his house out of mince meat trays.

My cat hating kamikaze dog has now learn't she can get over 7ft (was 5ft but I've heightened it and she can still get over) in order to try catch cat for lunch, going higher than 7ft just is not practical.

However instead of building a run I intend to put her on long line.
  14. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Can you not do overhangs?
  15. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    To be honest I hadn't given that a thought, but not entirely convinced even that would stop her.
  16. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    ...you mean building a run for a ...dog :roll:
  17. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    We all have dogs on here. I`m sure very few need to turn the back garden into a zoo enclosure. Surely good fences are enough.
  18. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    No i mean building a run for Wolf looalike type dogs :grin:
  19. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    ermm.. building a run for crossbreeds that can take after either bit of their heritage :? ...my n.i would happily be left in the garden without escaping as would my n.i cross sibe so whats your point?
  20. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    I wish they were Claire, fencing around here has been a work in progress and while i understand people thinking it looks like a safari park i have to keep my dogs safe while i am not here, i also have to make sure they cannot get near any of the local farms. I can now go out safe in the knowledge everyone is safe.
    My last dog was a collie x and just had a standard dog run as that is all she needed. It is my personal opinion wolf lookalike type dogs and some northern breeds need higher security hence my post as we are learning what works and what does not and i hope what we have done will be helpful to others.
    I'm sure there are many people with this type of dog who do not feel they need the level of security we have but on the flip side there is many who do and the post is aimed at helping them.
  21. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    id love too but i havnt seen the pics :-(