Question for Labrador owners: Questions

Discussion in 'Labrador Retriever' started by TabithaJ, May 27, 2011.

1. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Question for Labrador owners:

Just interested to know, if you'd be kind enough:

1 - what do you feed your Lab?

2 - how much does your dog weigh?

3 - how much do you feed per day?

Dexter is permanently hungry - I know this is a stereotypical Lab trait, but this is getting ridiculous! The vet says he's the right weight: 33kg, at 2yrs of age, and that he should not get any heavier.

Just really interested to see what fellow Lab owners do. Many thanks indeed for any answers :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Hiya.

My Dexter eats Skinners (either duck, salmon or chicken), weighs 34kgs and eats roughly 300 grams a day (1 1/2 cup fulls, morning and late afternoon).

What does your Dexter do that makes you think he is permanently hungry?

Also, I remember you saying you fed raw? my Dexter was always hungry on raw, even when fed large amounts. I expect that has something to do with the carbs in the kibble making them feel fuller, whereas with raw, it is all about the protein.
  4. mandyB

mandyB New Member

Name:
    Mandy
    Lucan weighs 26kg and has 1lb of raw mince (Landywood's) mornings, plus approx 100gms of Skinners Duck and Rice in the evening per day.
  5. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    Louie - although not pure lab is smaller than yours but still has the lab traits.

He's 25.6 Kg and gets fed Shepherds Choice - not the best food atm but I'll be switching him to CSJ when I can. About a cup full a day at night.
    Sometimes he will get 450g mince - raw (but only when I've bought it and it comes in the packet like that)

How many times do you take him out and train him? Louie has hotdogs and cheese - so I guess this tides him over a bit - especially as all mine are fed only once - how mean am I! ;)
  6. plantman

plantman New Member

Name:
    Barry
    A friend of mine once said that a labrador would drag you across six lanes of a motorway just for an apple core...:lol: .
    We have recently lost our black lab, but we always fed him on James Wellbeloved dry foods. Two handfuls twice a day and he rarely varied from his 30kg fighting weight right through his life, and his coat was always in beautiful condition. We have now got a cockerpoo puppy and have just weaned him onto Wellbeloved as well, although the breeder had started him on Eukanuba.
  7. roxi

roxi New Member

Name:
    Hayley
    PMSl....that made me laugh :lol:
  8. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    Storm 29 kg
    Nyle 33 kg

RC Labrador Retriever Light/Maintanance Diet.

2 cups each, with occasional additions of some fish, meat and egg. Sometimes once per day, sometimes split 1 cup earlier 1 cup later, sometimes infact quite often an amount is removed and used in training alongside other treats or just on its own.

Also, Nyle likes tomato's, we discover this when he was caught picking them off the plants we were growing...btw, he only ever picked the ripe ones. I know he used to watch me...monkey see, monkey do.
  9. Jofelicia

Jofelicia New Member

Name:
    Jo
    My lab weighs 45 kilos!! He is a bit chunkier than we would like but not too much.

He has a handful of kibble twice a day and virtually no treats! He's a monster!!
  10. plantman

plantman New Member

Name:
    Barry
    He's around 15kg (50%) overweight Jo, :shock: he needs less food and a lot more exercise....:blush:
  11. Rubster

Rubster New Member

Name:
    Rubster
    Ruby, my black lab did weigh around 33kg, after diet & exercise has dropped to around 27-28kg...I'm taking her to be weighed on Friday so I'll know much better then.

Shes currently on pedigree weight control dry food, but is normally on Royal Canin weight loss, 1 cup morning, 1 cup teatime & no treats allowed until I know her weight is about right.
  12. Jofelicia

Jofelicia New Member

Name:
    Jo
    Plantman- he is a big boy but the vet has seen him and for his height and build only wants him to lose 5kilos.

However he does still need to lose weight!! We are working on that at the moment. We give him light to moderate exercise because he has arthritis in his elbows.

I think that maybe we need to check his food intake and get the scales out again.

Jo
  13. valandra

valandra New Member

Name:
    Purdy
    My friend is having huge problems with her lab and her weight problems. She weighs 38.9 kilos and is fed on Royal Canine diet food at 175grams a day.

She is still putting on weight after being on this food for a full year. The vets cant find anything wrong with the dog and my friend says she doesnt feed any extras in the house. Which i dont really believe. How can a dog be on diet food and still put on weight after a full year?
  14. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Is it possible the dog is not getting enough exercise?

Also, if after a whole year my dog was not losing weight and it needed to, I'd change the food!
  15. Rubster

Rubster New Member

Name:
    Rubster
    I totally agree with this...I know Ruby isn't doing well on the pedigree dry food, so now ive been paid am off to get her some Royal canin...it did wonders for her last time, & as I think smokeybear pointed out to me, all weight loss foods for dogs still contain different amounts of fat etc...So one might have alot less calorie content than another even though they both say weight loss on the pcket

Bev
  16. valandra

valandra New Member

Name:
    Purdy
    Yeah i dont think she gives it enough exercise. At the weekends when she is off work the dog doesnt get out for a wlak until around 1pm and thats around half an hour at them ost. Then at night time she will come to the field with me and my dogs but the dog just has no energy at all. She is a very lazy dog but thats from the lifestyle that she has got i suppose. When she is working she gets a quick 5min in the morning before work. Its really annoying me at the moment as i know she doesnt get enough exercise but what can you do :(
  17. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Jago is 26kgs. He gets Skinners Light and Senior (he's 7 and has arthritis, this food has glucosamine and chondroitin added and is lower protein). He gets 2 mugs full each day, one am and one pm. He gets bones to chew on, a couple a week too and I add either sardines, olive oil, egg etc to some meals as well.
  18. Mica

Mica New Member

Name:
    Mica
    lol.. I read replies to this with amusement..
    My lot get strict one and a half cups kibble each day split over two meals.. and they weigh in at
    Morgan. 36 kilos (9 years old now)
    Dallas 38 kilos.. ok she's a tad overweight
    Fifi 36 kilos.. very trim girl and 3 years old
    Milan.. 18 month old monster at 32 kilos.. perfect for her build.
    my Homer god rest him.. at his peak was a wapping 48 kilos and not an ounce of fat on him.. I think weight varies accordin to the individual labrador.
  19. taniamiff

taniamiff New Member

Name:
    Tania
    My lab is 39kg and 1.5 years old. He saw the vet last week and ideally needs to loose 5kg, although he is not fat. He has a cup of kibble twice a day. He is feed on Trophy Sensitive.
  20. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    just taken a look at your dogs, gorgeous :grin:
  21. Mica

Mica New Member

Name:
    Mica
    THANKYOU!! I love em to bits.. but then I am heavily biased.