Rottweilers, share stories and pictures General Chat

Discussion in 'Rottweiler' started by STGSD, Jun 12, 2011.

1. STGSD

STGSD New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Parough likes this.

Rottweilers, share stories and pictures

Well it looks like we have a 19 month Rottie on the way. I know a bit about them and have been doing a bit of research but feel free to tell me more about them and about yours, and pics are always welcome ;-)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Murv

Murv New Member

Name:
    Chris
    They're just like any other dog really, all individuals and vary greatly.
    I daren't put up any more pics of mine, there's enough on here :blush: but they're fantastic dogs.
    I personally feel they have the greatest range of facial expressions of any dog, from big, frightened puppy to looking a little sinister and absolutely everything in between!

They seem a little clumsy, and are sometimes deliberately so i.e if chasing something, and encountering an obstruction, they quickly learn that if they hit it hard and fast enough, they don't generally need to stop (you may become very familiar with the ground on your local walk if you're in the dogs way :lol: )

I would recommend training, their pig headedness has to be seen to be believed! if they want to ignore you, they will. Selective deafness & blindness seems to be extremely well developed in Rotties :lol:

They're definitely intelligent, some things our dog has learned quite literally in the space of a few minutes but that intelligence will keep you on your toes ;-)

They're not noted as having a high prey drive however, our current dog, and our last cross, both had similar prey drives to a ferret, they just cannot leave anything alone so just something to be aware of in case yours is the same.

Our last dog wouldn't guard anything, even in the slightest but the current dog is the complete opposite to the point where we're careful introducing strangers to the house as she's still learning the ropes.

I assume this is your rescue dog, just be a little wary as he settles. They're fantastic, gentle, loving giants but if treated badly by idiots in a previous life, there may be some problems that manifest themselves as the dog settles.
    They're immensely strong, even for their size and the initial lunge can have you over if you're unprepared for it.

I won't go on about the health problems, as you've researched the breed then there's plenty out there on the potential things to go wrong.

That is just my take on things, based on current experience with our dog who is still very withdrawn after a Month and the 10 Years we spent with our old cross as well as talking to other Rottie owners out and about so hopefully you'll get a lot more advice from more experienced owners on here.
    The Rottweiler Rescue Trust are also immensely helpful (Google them,) you'll rarely get through on the phone but will always return your call later and just ask for a small donation to the trust if you think they've been of help.

Enjoy! they're my absolute favourite breed of dog, NOTHING beats a Rottweiler cuddle :049:
  4. Murv

Murv New Member

Name:
    Chris
    oh, forgot to add, be prepared for other peoples perceptions of your dog.
    It can be a little upsetting when a parent quickly whips "little Jonnie" into their protective arms and away from your vicious "killer dog" whilst shooting you dagger like glares but, this is offset by the people who know the breed and rush over to greet them!
  5. black666

black666 New Member

Name:
    Stephanie
    I have a 2 yr old bitch and she is fantastic! I must agree with everything Murv has said, hit the nail on the head about the expressions and stoppin Ziva does this daily lol.

People do automatically give you a wide birth and dirty looks but you sort of get use to it after a while, just try not to get too caught up and upset by it.

Another thing they are pretty good at flyball and agility as Ziva does both and loves it ( but they are faster than you think lol) :grin:
  6. STGSD

STGSD New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Parough likes this.
    I'm not bothered by peoples reactions, used to it with my Shepherd, although already seeing worse reactions towards Zeus. I've learnt not to care what other people think, had to bringing up my Zeph!

All is well with Zeus so far, we rescued him from a local centre, brought him home last Wednesday. He is a big, lazy softy lol! Snores, fidgets and loves snoozing on the sofa! I'd like him to have more energy/stamina but I think that will come in time, I doubt the rescue has a lot of time for exercising them and he'd been on short lead walks since being neutered. He is 5 months younger than Zephyr but you wouldn't think it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lets see some pics.... :)
  7. Lovesgsds

Lovesgsds New Member

Name:
    H
    Gorgeous x
  8. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie
    Parough likes this.
    Great post Murv:002:

Marius is our third Rottie that we've owned over the years. I love the breed but totally agree that they can be as stubborn as hell. They are not a breed that is happy just lounging around doing nothing, they need their brain cells worked as well as their muscles:002:

I would certainly try and get as much background info about the dog as possible, as Merv said. He may well have some issues but as they are an intelligent breed, once you have gained his trust I am sure you will conquer any problems he may have.

Looking forward to seeing your new addition and following his future with you - well done for re-homing a rescue.

This is Marius with his bestest buddy Lola...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. loufoxyloxy

loufoxyloxy New Member

Name:
    louise
    Parough likes this.
    heres some pics of ruby for you
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    she likes her comfort :mrgreen:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ( yes that is a single feather duvet that i had brought down to use when i was ill that she dog napped after i left the room to get a drink :roll: )
    [​IMG]
    and she can be a silly sausage :lol: :mrgreen:
    [​IMG]
  10. Murv

Murv New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Some absolutely gorgeous pictures on here :049:

The plan for us was always to get two dogs, a Rottie and a mongrel, just to keep the insurance costs down a little but maybe we could stretch to another Rottie... ;)
  11. black666

black666 New Member

Name:
    Stephanie
    What fantastic pictures of beautiful dogs, absolutly stunning :grin:
  12. JackieandMia

JackieandMia New Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Fantastic pics everyone all your rotts are lovely :)
  13. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone

Name:
    Jules
    both beautiful breeds. i wish my boys could eat bones together, they fight over them.
  14. JackieandMia

JackieandMia New Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I thought the same when seeing that lovely pic. Although i only have 1 dog now i could never of left my 2 when i had my other one together. I got badly bitten trying to break up a fight once :-(
  15. twix

twix New Member

Name:
    twix
    Aw, he looks great.

When we took on our adult Rottie he'd been in kennels for a while and the owner/trainer had put a lot of work into him. We were told to let him settle in in his own time and take all introductions slowly which we did. Never had the breed before and find him to be biddable, likes his chest being tickled but not as cuddly as other different breeds I've owned, much more independant (maybe that was due to his upbringing). He is a couch potato as well. It's been interesting to see what makes him tick. He is reactive to neighbour's kids screaming (he was with a family in his 2nd home), he hates motorbikes and would charge round after a torch beam. We thought this amusing but were told it's a no-no by his trainer. He's been a great 'uncle' to all the pups we've had since and lives in harmony with other male dogs. All in all a lovely boy.
  16. albert 1970

albert 1970

Name:
    phil
    gorgeous dogs,like most they need good training,but they are everything you could want in a dog!!
  17. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Parough likes this.
    Twasn't me, honest...
    Bobo, my daughters boy, lovely natured, most annoying thing he does is to try to sit on you from every angle lol
    [​IMG]
  18. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Parough likes this.
    Here he is again,in all his grandure x

[​IMG]
  19. albert 1970

albert 1970

Name:
    phil

hes gorgeous!
  20. STGSD

STGSD New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Beautiful Rotts everyone :)
  21. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    Lovely thread - you guys have some seriously good looking Rotties!