What size car harness for a titchy small tiny greyhound? Questions

Discussion in 'Greyhound' started by dizzi, Jul 22, 2011.

1. dizzi

dizzi New Member

Name:
    anon

What size car harness for a titchy small tiny greyhound?

She's dinky, only about an inch higher (if that) in the shoulders than my collie sized woof.

Looking to buy a car harness (tend to transport in the boot with dog bars mainly but I like to have the option available to use the backseats if needs be) and kong mainly - not sure if I'm better off going for the standard "greyhound" sizes of large, or should just risk the mediums on stuff (which is the size Layton takes). Like I say - I've never seen a dinkier little greyhound which makes it all a bit difficult shopping for her in advance of bringing her home. Coats I'll probably just get from the rescue anyway so I'll have her there with us - it's the other stuff that's harder to judge - particularly the harness and kong that I want to get ordered online since it's payday for hubby and I'm spending his money again muahahah.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 2Greys

2Greys New Member

Name:
    G
    Does the harness you want show measurements for girth etc or less usefull S/M/L?
    sighthounds tend to have deeper chests than average dog so not sure if it may work out larger than similar height dog or not.

If you are able to transport her in the boot for time being perhaps order it once you get her, most things only take a few days to arrive,so probably less hassle than getting wrong size & having to return it. If its something PAH/Kennelgate type place sell they sometimes let you try it on the dog before you buy.
  4. Freyja

Freyja New Member

Name:
    Helen
    My whippets have medium sized harnesses and we did have a large for William when he was alive. I think Button would need a large too. She's about 26" at the shoulder so quite tall for a bitch. I bought mine from Lidhl when they had them in once and they fit them quite well. The only thing I found was that William was a big boy 31" to his shoulder and the strap that fastened into the seat belt clip wasn't long enough for him to stand up.

Try measuring round her chest and take a tape measure with you to check it will fit.
  5. wallaroo

wallaroo New Member

Name:
    Gill
    I've got a bergan car harness that has a huge amount of adjustment in it. The seatbelt attachment also adjusts
  6. Freyja

Freyja New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Mine adjusted but not enough for a dog the size of William to be able to stand up.
  7. spockky boy

spockky boy New Member

Name:
    qwerty
    I would take a mecurement of the waist and deepest part of her chest and go from there. Or get someone to measure for you.
  8. dizzi

dizzi New Member

Name:
    anon
    In answer to it all - a collie-sized medium car harness fits her lovely! (She's THAT small and currently has missed her bed and zonked out on the floor bless her)

Trying to measure her to get a coat made now - but she keeps on trying to go to sleep in the middle of it all - it's like trying to deal with that narcoleptic guy in Moulin Rouge!