French Bulldogs - expensive breed General Chat

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Jem, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma

French Bulldogs - expensive breed

We've met one in our village, a beautiful fawn pup and she's so adorable bless her, anyway got chatting to her owner properly today and she told me she paid £2500 is this right?????

She's got all her papers etc, fully registered, health tested parents etc etc but even for me that seems like a lot of money for a very small dog :lol: Is that what they go for?x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    afraid so..
    one of the most expensive breeds as far as i can tell
  4. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    But its so tiny lol x
  5. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    And rare at one time ..
    dont even look at the price of the blue ones..
  6. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    £6,500 :shock: :shock:
  7. Cadi

Cadi New Member

Name:
    Cadi
    One of the reasons I heard for such a high price was cause they rarely have bitches that self-whelp so a lot are born by cesarean. :???:

Are there any self-whelpers? I'm not sure if the French Bulldog breeders have the same 'breeding' strain that Boston Terriers do (basically they keep a bigger self-whelping bitch that births smaller 'show type' puppies.)
  8. bijouinnuendo

bijouinnuendo New Member

Name:
    kim
    Hi
    They don't always need sections depends on the bitch really from the research we did before we got our boy. Prices are high but from good tested breeders we found that they started at about £1400 and went up from there depending on pedigree etc.

We paid just under £2k for Marvin (he was born by section) and feel he was worth every penny but it took us quite a few months to find which breeder we wanted to go to and then had to go on the waiting list for our puppy.

I was amazed at the price of blues as it is not even an official recognised colour and they are not allowed in the show ring. Cheapest blue I can remember seeing was £3k.
  9. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie
    In a word no, that price is FAR too high. Lola is Champion sired and her parents were thoroughly health tested and was certainly not that price (from a reputable KC Accredited Breeder who is a member of both breed clubs and adheres to there recommendations).

When I was ringing around breeders one extremely well known Frenchie breeder (and judge) told me that no Frenchie should be over £1600, and the average price for a well bred one from a good breeder is between £1400-to £1600. Anything over that price is excessive in the extreme.

What you have to bear in mind is they are still a relatively uncommon breed (although when you look at these internet websites they certainly are making up in numbers with inferior puppies unfortunately:cry: )

Whenever I've seen prices over 2K, they are usually on this well known website that advertises pups for sale. Quite a few breeders on there charge 2K and above because they don't endorse their litters and so charge lots more - also people cashing in on the blue craze which is unrecognized. You can tell them a mile off, usually nothing metioned about health-tests, but lots of info on how cute/on-trend/how they are used in TV adverts or boasting that they are unendorsed and sometimes offering free stud use:-(

Yes, Frenchies can self-whelp (Lola's mum did) - but some do need cezarean as the breed is naturally large in the head with a narrower body, so sometimes pups can get stuck unfortunately. I suppose it depends on the bitch and how large the pups are.