Does anyone have experience of German Longhaired Pointers? General Chat

Discussion in 'German Longhaired Pointer' started by SLB, Aug 20, 2011.

1. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee

Does anyone have experience of German Longhaired Pointers?

Anyone got any experience with these - just been looking through some HPR breeds as I do want a HPR sometime in the future when Louie is a little older and calmer.

And if so - pictures please :D
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    never met one in person, but i dont like the look of them :blush: they remind me of a cross between a flat coat and a setter, or some look like giant springers :lol: :lol:

i prefer the shorthaired pointer out of the 3. my uncle had a wirehaired who was a gem, she worked though as he was a gamekeeper.
  4. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Never seen one in the flesh to the best of my knowledge.

My cousin in Canada has one along with a Golden Retriever and a Yorkie and apparently the GLP is a nice dog.
  5. Alf

Alf New Member

Name:
    rona
    There is one here who is owned by a wildlife ranger. Lovely quiet dog that mixes with everyone and is excellent with his two very small children.
    The dog is out and about a great deal though
  6. Munsti-Sue

Munsti-Sue New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Have met quite a few now and helped at the GHDA 'Introduction to German Testing' day where there were several in attendance. Nice dogs, fairly big and sturdy dogs but pretty work driven dogs. They are certainly a dog that needs a job, ideally doing what they were bred for.

All my photos of the breed contain dogs with dead things, so I will refrain from posting for the time being.

They are too big for me, hence having the small munsterlander:grin:
  7. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    Your cousin is just like you - retriever, pointer and terrier :lol:

I don't mind dead animals - maybe put a "Warning contains dead animals" before the pictures so people who are bothered don't scroll down any further.. :D
  8. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    I have met several, Larry Wilks and Brenda Moss brought them over to the UK and they are passionate about them.

I have been at several GWT where they have been and also Brenda was at the same Blood Tracking Aptitude Test as me.

There appears to be a "split" between those from Germany and those bred in Holland.

The Arany kennel is certainly the most successful affix in both the show and working arena.

They are not dissimilar to the longhaired Weimaraner in shape etc.

Not such a glamourous look though as the coats are akin to the GSP colouration but long which is probably one of the reasons they have not taken off; that and those that breed them are very keen that their working abilities are retained.
  9. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    Yeah but of course GLPs don't come in black or black and white ;-) (but I am just being very picky tho :p)

I've met a few (also met Larry and Brenda) I agree with whats been said they do look very strong large dogs, look like they have a desire to work all day every day, also from what I've heard and read they sound very loyal to their owners. The ones I've seen were nice dogs, worked nicely :grin:
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2011
  10. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    I've met a couple, nice enough dogs but not really my cup of tea. I'd rather have a Large Munsterlander! :D
  11. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Ditto, the GLP's dont really do anything for me (think it has alot to do with the colours available) and i'd choose a LM any day.
  12. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    I saw 3 LM's yesterday pulling onto the road after the show - they were with a Spinone :)

I've read that GLP's are biddable? That's what I want in a dog, Louie's recall was tough going, not as tough as it could've been but still not as easy.. I also want a smart one - Louie has learnt so much and very quickly..
  13. Munsti-Sue

Munsti-Sue New Member

Name:
    Sue
    ***WARNING PHOTOS OF DEAD ANIMALS BELOW!!***

I have met and know quite a few LM. As a breed they are nice enough but dogs are generally getting bigger in size and those i do know have more than your average share of health problems.

Anyhow, couple of photos below. Not the clearest but show a couple of the colour variants.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    what other dogs are you thinking about?
  15. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I saw the LM's too and was very intrigued as i'm in that area alot and have never seen them before.

I think you would be very hard pressed to find a GLP and even if you do, unless you were into showing or working, the breeders probably wouldnt sell you one (no reflection on you as an owner Aimee but I would imagine GLP breeders are very picky about who has a pup).

As for biddable, no more so than a GSP but remember that GLP's are still very much working dogs, more so than many GSP's you might find who come from show lines, so you would still have to put in alot of hard work.

If you ask them to jump, they may ask how high but thats if you can keep them close enough to ask in the first place!
  16. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    Hmmm.. a lot to think about - I do know I want a GWP sometime, but I suppose I'll have to do loads of research in all the breeds I like.

Leanne - I understood where you were coming from :)

Thank you for the advice guys.. :)
  17. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    It's funny you should mention size, someone in the village I used to live in bought a LM pup and all he ever did was brag about how massive the pup would be once fully grow! I didn't think they were supposed to be much bigger than your average show Golden? :?