Any advice please Lab x Collie General Chat

Discussion in 'Labrador Retriever' started by ksmith83, Aug 30, 2011.

1. ksmith83

ksmith83 New Member

Name:
    kirsty

Any advice please Lab x Collie

Hi
    Im thinking of getting a lab x collie and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this type of dog
    Thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. pippam

pippam

Name:
    n/a
    I used to know a lab cross collie very smart dogs and energetic hope you like exercise :>
  4. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    Is this a rehome or a pup?
    If it`s a pup, there`s not really any way of telling till he grows a bit. :grin:
  5. ksmith83

ksmith83 New Member

Name:
    kirsty
    Its a pup only 6wks old so will be getting him in a couple of weeks. I have 3 children and wanted a dog that would be good with kids thats my main concern.
    Thanks for your help
  6. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    With any breed or type, it`s how you bring them up that determines how he will be. And also how the children treat him.
    I would get a good puppy book (nothing by Cesar Millan) and also teach your children not to disturb the pup while he`s sleeping or eating, not to pull him about, and not to dash round and scream around him. :grin:
  7. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    i would be careful if u are 'buying' this pup as labs and collies suffer hip dysplasia and both should also be eye tested before breeding from :-(
  8. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Temperament is very difficult to predict in cross breeds. They could take after one parent more than the other, or they could take on a mix of traits, good and bad. Unless you know the history behind both parents (pedigree) it is even more hard to predict, as the parents may have temperaments that are not typical of either breed.

With both Border Collies and Labradors, there is a very distinct 'split' (in both looks, character, energy, etc.) between the working and show types. A working type BC crossed with a working type Lab for example, is not going to make the ideal easy going family pet you require. The potential bad points to both of these breeds don't always make for a winning combination. Labs can be very rambunctious when young, BC's can be very chase driven, both are very intelligent, both are high energy....

Most breeds will be fine with children if raised with them. I think you need to look more carefully about each breed and whether they will fit in with your lifestyle in that combination.
  9. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Make sure the parents have had all their health tests done(Hip/Elbow scored, eye tested, DNA tested etc)

Is this puppy from a planned litter ?
  10. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Both Labs and Collies (whether Border Collie or Rough Collie) need a huge amount of exercise once they are fully grown.

My Lab gets more than 2 hours a day - and that's not counting all the small training games and exercises we also do at home throughout each day.

If this puppy favours the Lab parent, it will also need a LOT of attention :mrgreen:

If the pup favours the Collie parent, and it's a Border Collie, then the pup will grow up to need a massive amount of mental stimulation as well as physical exercise.

I personally would not choose to get a pup of this mix. There are too many variables and you have no way of knowing what type of dog you are getting, in terms of what it will need from you.

Unless of course, you have a lot of energy and patience and free time, in which you might enjoy the challenge of a very energetic dog :)
  11. Stormpants

Stormpants New Member

Name:
    Sally
    Storm is Collie cross Lab, but luckily, apart from his chasing birds and being hugely energetic when he is out on a walk, he is much more Lab than Collie. When we are at home, he is really calm and just goes to sleep when we are busy.

I agree, it all depends on how much of the Collie gene the pups inherit. If you have children and want a family dog, then you either want a pup of this mix who is much more Lab than Collie, OR maybe you should look at getting an entirely different breed/cross of dog.

As has been said, it also depends a lot on whether either one, or both of the parents of these pups are of working stock. If they are, then they're not really suited as just a family pet.
  12. ksmith83

ksmith83 New Member

Name:
    kirsty
    Ive seen both parents and the mum is the lab, the collie is more of a working dog and lives on a farm. Ive seen all the papers for both parents so everything seems fine there. Both are from the same owner so must of been a planned litter.
  13. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Are both parents fully heath tested? is there a particular reason you want this cross from two working types as a pet?

Farm type Collies/working sheepdogs are not generally the best types of dogs suited to being family pets. They are, after all, bred to work. Looking at Border Collie rescues, most appear to steer people away from the working types when looking for a family pet for obvious reasons.
  14. ksmith83

ksmith83 New Member

Name:
    kirsty
    Both parents live on a farm but are also part of a family with children. He will be with the family from 8wks and we live in an area with lots of fields that are great for long walks so hopefully he will get on fine with me and my family.
  15. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    And both parents are also presumably working dogs...

Are the parents fully health tested? I also presume that you have researched the temperaments of working type Border Collie and Labradors, and that they need much much more than just walking in fields?
  16. ksmith83

ksmith83 New Member

Name:
    kirsty
    Just wanted some advice from someone who has or has had this type of dog. Im not going into this with my eyes closed and know the work involved. And yes both parents are fully health tested. No they arnt both working dogs the lab is a family pet just happens to live on a farm
  17. Mica

Mica New Member

Name:
    Mica
    good luck with that one. I would have reservations purposefully crossing a workin collie with alab.. pet or otherwise. I ahve five labs ye.. we also have a collie.. not the best to have around chldren
  18. Tillymint

Tillymint New Member

Name:
    Suzie
    My Tilly is a collie x retriever, we know nothing of her background as she is a rescue from Ireland whom we got as a pup.
    Although she has been easy to train,we have had plenty of difficulties with her along the way including fear aggression towards the family, nervousness & food & resource guarding!
    Don't want to put you off though as most of this is probably due to our lack of experience as she is our first dog. She is nearly 3 now & I ended up having to get help from a behavourist, who basically said we weren't being consistent & giving clear enough directions. I don't follow CM rules but we do have to be firm with her & she is much more relaxed with our "house rules" even though it means she's not allowed on furniture & beds.
    She thrives on plenty of excercise & stimulation & I wouldn't be without her - I've also learnt so much but wouldn't recommend if you don't have the time & energy!
  19. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Well depending on whether the WSD has huge work drive & the puppies inherit it, you will need to start motivational training from day one.

I'm a bit surprised that the parents are both hip & elbow scored/eye tested/DNA tested as pets, most pet breeders don't have the first idea about all the health testing needed before breeding from their dogs.

Is your puppy going to be BAER tested ?
  20. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

You asked for advice....... So you got some :)
  21. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    what gives u that idea? :?

what 'paperwork' have u seen?