Will a westie fit in with us? General Chat

Discussion in 'West Highland White Terrier' started by akitagirl, Oct 9, 2011.

1. akitagirl

akitagirl New Member

Name:
    Lucie

Will a westie fit in with us?

Not yet...... but Westies have always been a favourite of mine, my hubby is keen to get a third dog - after we've moved, and when the baby has grown a little and we're all settled.

My Akitas love Westies :grin: and I would seperate when out purely because of size.

I've been looking through the rescue pages all afternoon :blush:

People with experience of them, do you think a little un would fit in with my two? There's an old chap that owns 3 in the village and they light up my dogs walks when we see them, and vise versa - they play lovely with our two, they just kind of jump, jump, jump up at them lol!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever New Member

Name:
    Robyn
    My mum has 2 westies, both females and they are under the age of 2.

From the start I have been very strict with them, taking them to training classes etc...
    Both have totally different personalities.
    Matty is a great pet she would happily go for a nice walk, play fetch and then come back and have a cuddle on the couch. She loves everybody and is good with kids. I would say she has a low energy level and is normally the one lagging behind on a long walk. From day one I handled them both well, with regards to grooming etc...
    Matty is fantastic, she will happily stand on the table to be clipped, ears cleaned, nail clip with no fuss.

Maisy I would say is a "worky type" she would happily do OB and agility all day long. We are currently doing our advanced road safety at OB classes. She actually heels of leash and looks up at me like a collie would, she loves to please me. I can take her for a walk for 3 hours and about 30 minutes after coming back she would happily go out again for another good run. She is also very cheeky, and is the bravest westie I know. Zara my GSD lets her away with murder, and she will tell Zara off, steal her bed etc...
    Maisy is also great on the grooming table, although she dosen't like getting her nails cut.
    I would have her in a heartbeat! :)

I wasn't a little dog fan, but I am smitten and I think my next dog will be a rescue terrier. :)

The girls.
    [​IMG]
    The Girls by Foxy Robyn, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Matty & Maisy by Foxy Robyn, on Flickr
  4. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    My sister has a Westie, and such a funny one at that! She has ATTITUDE! She is sweet, not all that cuddly, but doesn't mind a snuggle now and then. She is a hunter through and through, and spends a fair amount of time trying to catch the bunnies and squirrels! LOL. She watches TV and now and then goes nutz at an animal on TV (She watched the Golden Compass in it's entirety... the giant Polar Bears were her fav! LOL)

She plays well with Oliver and Mouse, but doesn't like Shih Tsu's, and isn't yappy. She is an escape artist though, and will find a way through a fence if at all possible. She is a Diva though, and will scream her way through nail clipping and stripping, even though her nails have been done once a week since she was 9 weeks old by me or my sister.

Annabelle @ 9 weeks (Oliver @ 7 months) Full of life!

Annabelle @ 5 months (Oliver was 10 months and Mouse was 5 months as well)

And at 11 months, just stripped
    [​IMG]
  5. akitagirl

akitagirl New Member

Name:
    Lucie
    Oh those photos are gorgeous!

Wow, they do have different personalities, i think i would try to look out for a youngish one, but a suitable temperament is more important of course than age. I love the fact that Maisy sounds so willing, and lively, the livlier the better with our Keisha!

That's one of the main reasons I think I'd prefer a terrier, a bit of attitude :grin:

Those videos are brilliant! I could watch them all day!

Thanks guys :mrgreen:
  6. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    They are lovely dogs-we always had them in our family. You do have to be careful re skin problems though as we know a lot of people who have Westies with skin problems and they are very hard to treat.

We changed to Cairns as the colours they come in are more practical and they are less barky too.
  7. border pop

border pop New Member

Name:
    BORDERPOP
    If we get bit at work, 9 times out of 10 it's by a westie:shock::lol:
  8. akitagirl

akitagirl New Member

Name:
    Lucie
    Funny you should say that,one in the village suffers with terrible skin problems. That's funny too - i did prefer Cairns but am siding with Westies now, i don't know a lot about either yet if I'm honest.

Oh 'eck! Never had a snappy dog before!

Thanks both xx
  9. border pop

border pop New Member

Name:
    BORDERPOP
    The owners are the problem. Because they are cute and fluffy as puppies they are allowed to do whatever they want. They forget they are strong willed terriers:roll:
  10. sarah1983

sarah1983 New Member

Name:
    sarah
    My aunt had an Akita and a Westie before she died. I found it a rather strange combination but the two got on really well despite the size difference. The westie bossed the Akita around and the Persian cat bossed both dogs around :lol:
  11. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever New Member

Name:
    Robyn
    That was exactly the reason why I was so strict with the girls...They are fantastic on the table, getting clipped etc...
    Maisys downfall is she doesn't like getting her nails clipped, but she does not try and bite.
    I have recently went back to grooming and it's a shock to see so many little dogs wanting to bite. :shock:
  12. akitagirl

akitagirl New Member

Name:
    Lucie
    Aww that's so sweet. My friend has Akitas and cavs, they get on great!

Yeah i think that is the problem with small dogs/owners, can you imagine the hoo-har if either of mine ever bit! :shock:
  13. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Yes-I was very embarrassed to say to the groomers that they would need to muzzle Izzy when they trim her next month. We've only had her 2 months but the previous owners didn't acclimatise her to being groomed regularly and she is consequently not good. Also not helped by the person who they rehomed her to not brushing or grooming her at all for 6 months.

I would die of heart failure if Parker ever behaved like Izzy when I brush him! :shock:
  14. Deb/Pugglepup

Deb/Pugglepup New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    When I was a kid, my best friend had two westies.

Snowy was the first who was an absolutely adorable dog in all ways.

Ben was his son, and the complete opposite. He was loud, thuggish, ignorant, and a snappy little sod :roll:
  15. Westie_N

Westie_N New Member

Name:
    Nicola
    Ooh, yes! Well, I love them and would have more if I could! I think they are fab! As you know, I do agility and heelwork to music with Molly - she is 8 and a half now.

I'll respond in greater detail tonight though, got to get ready for work and get the dogs out soon!
  16. Westie_N

Westie_N New Member

Name:
    Nicola
    Completely agree.

If a Westie is snappy and grumpy, it is generally because of the owners and probably how they have been bred, I wouldn't say that it is typical of the breed.

Yes, they can be strong headed, but aren't most terriers?!
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2011
  17. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie