Has your cross-breed ever been mistaken for a pedigree dog? Discussions

Discussion in 'Crossbreeds Forum' started by SmokeyRabbit, Oct 10, 2011.

1. muttzrule

muttzrule New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    Moxie has been called a pure Australian Shepherd (she looks NOTHING like one) and a pure Sheltie (closer, but still no). It always amazes me the people who can't tell the difference between ticking and merleing. Its not the same thing!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. sarah1983

sarah1983 New Member

Name:
    sarah
    Rupert was mistaken for a Wolfhound puppy many times in the UK. After moving to Germany I was often asked whether he was a schwarzschimmel Deutsch Drahthaar which would be a black roan GWP anywhere else but is apparently not quite the same as a GWP :?

[​IMG]

Oh, he was also a greyhound, a lurcher, a pit bull and an english bulldog :shock:
  4. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    Jake is often thought to be a pedigree BC... I'm sure he has some in there though :lol:
  5. neonlitdaydream

neonlitdaydream New Member

Name:
    Molly
    Everyone assume's Coco is a chi based on her size.Only very "dog" people will ask .."Is she..a chihuahua?"
  6. ParadisMutts

ParadisMutts New Member

Name:
    Sydney
    All the time! I laugh my head off because Cody is barley anything like a Lab. Put them side by side and you can tell. He is a good deal taller, deep chest, high waist, and legs for miles. Feathered arched over his back tail and one ear that is not the same floppy style as Labs. Still people think he is pure breed lab, one woman thought for two months of agility classes that Cody was a Lab. She was shocked when I told her he was a mutt, though he has some Lab in him.
  7. Jfk

Jfk New Member

Name:
    Jo
    I'm always being asked what cross my pedigree border collie is because apparantly border collies are " black and white" and he's a tri blue Merle.

Makes you wonder! Lol!
  8. lovemelovemydog

lovemelovemydog New Member

Name:
    Chrissy
    When Hoochie was a lot younger and fitter and was really broad chested and muscly (due to flyball, agility and lots of walking holidays) i was asked where i got my staffie,is he a red dobie and also "oh what a lovely lab!"
    Now its "hes an old boy isn't he, what is he?"
    Basically i don't care what he looks like i love him warts and all
  9. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    I've not had a cross breed since I was a kid (apart from a short period with an unsuccessful Battersea dog) so mine don't get mistaken (tho quite a few in Cyprus think the Min Pin is a Chi because you don't see many min pins here).

But ... I've often seen the most GORGEOUS dogs with the most beautiful plain or multi coloured coats and asked the owner what breed they were to be told that they are a Heinz 57!

I came to the conclusion that the most beautiful shades of fur are seen in cross breed dogs!
  10. Ballybee

Ballybee New Member

Name:
    Alyson
    Tummel is mistaken for a lab all the time, even though he's only about a quarter(maybe less we're not sure).
  11. chaospony

chaospony New Member

Name:
    Chaospony
    Cara the Dalmatian cross Pyrenees has been called all sorts!
    The funniest was a lady that thought she was a pointer, normally people think she is pure Dalmatian though.:) :) :)
    [​IMG]

Ollie who is pure bred GSP has been called a Springer, a Greyhound, Dalmatian, and I have been asked if he is Cara's puppy!:lol: :lol: :lol:
    [​IMG]
    Oh and just to add no one has yet asked me if he is a GSP, think the tail really throws them off!
  12. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    My boy Brownie has been mistaken for a pure bred Labrador a LOT. Though I don't see it at all. Maybe it's because I've known him all his life and can tell the difference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jade here has been confused with a Malinois a few times, but because of her fur length, people usually say German Shepherd cross

[​IMG]
  13. SmokeyRabbit

SmokeyRabbit New Member

Name:
    Teresa
    mines a GSD Cross Border Collie but frequentely mistaken for a flat coat retriever,he resembles tillymints collie cross retriever,but my mum saw parents Male gsd and female border collie but starting to wonder now if mum could have had retriever in her so maybe a cross unfortunately didnt take photo of parents.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. noms93

noms93 New Member

Name:
    naomi
    bailey sometimes gets mistaken for a full staff , but he also has pug mixed with him so his curly tail eventually gives it away when people see him up close :)
  15. Mandyuk1

Mandyuk1 New Member

Name:
    Manuela
    When I first got Rosie, quite a few people thought she was a pure Boarder Collie just cos her colouring I think, now I don't get that so often :grin:
  16. HollyG1

HollyG1 New Member

Name:
    Holly
    Only my parents when i first got her, don't know how.
    There is a breed of dog which looks like her but it was only introduced to the UK in 2007 and i got her in 2002, she's also definitely a Basenji X with the blushing and sunbathing lol.
    I think i few old people in the village thought so too, i certainly get asked what breed she is a lot
  17. Darcy Boy

Darcy Boy New Member

Name:
    Yvonne
    Most people thought my Lurcher was a Greyhound.