What sex of GSD should I get? Questions

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by kammi_sparky123, Oct 20, 2011.

1. kammi_sparky123

kammi_sparky123 New Member

Name:

What sex of GSD should I get?

(This is not for me to make a final decision as I still do think I will just "go with it" and go for the pup that is right for me, regardless of gender, this is more me being curious and for fun! :lol: )

Okay so... which sex would you say fit me/my lifestyle better?

I already have a male dog who adores all other dogs.

I want a dog that wants to learn and train a lot, but isn't over the top and does switch off occasionally.. :lol:

I would like a more "cuddly" dog, but that would more be a bonus than a must.

I will have moved out into my first house, so it won't be huge, but it would only be me and Alfie living there.

Protectiveness-wise.... pffft tbh, that again is not high up on my priority list lol.

I would like one who wants to learn as opposed to just doing it because I have food - though food would be used as an aid... if that makes sense :lol:

I would like one who would settle when told (I know it can be taught but I am sure it depends on the dog how well this happens :lol: ).

I would like it to want to learn with me and be focused on me as opposed to doing their own thing and listening in their own time (*cough* like terriers... *cough* :lol: ) - dw I won't make the same "mistakes" I did with Alfie (though he isn't bad at all), he can just have selective hearing if something more interesting is going on.... lol)

Ummm, I think that's it!

I would prefer it if it wasn't overly interested in other dogs, but again I can train this at the time.

So, if it was up to you, which would you choose?

(I am aware I am probably asking too much, and I know all dogs are different, but "in general", which would suit better?)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Either sex will fulfil all the above requirements.

Some people are not bothered by the sexes, some prefer females to males and vice versa.

I prefer males.
  4. jesterjenn

jesterjenn New Member

Name:
    Jeni
    I'll give you a quick brief of my two, so one female, and one male (but also different lines).

Jess - German lines - Very independant. Very loyal. Very clever. Eager to learn and please. Both food and toy motivated. Very eager to say hello to every dog on the planet (this I believe is down to training or lack of it when she was young though as she has improved no end since I've had her). Can be dominant if you let her. Very energetic, but has an off switch (but only in the house). Very enthusiastic. Very excitable. Very vocal. Doesn't like fuss other than really specific times (when I get up or come in from being out, and when we get in from a walk - that's it with her lol). Great with people and dogs. Beautiful temprement. Very predictable. Not territorial. Has a very high stamina (although this is getting less the worse her back end is getting :( ). Barks in the car the WHOLE way because the car is just the best thing in the whole wide world!!!

Harley - English lines - Not very independant. Likes to stay with his pack and will throw a paddy if that isn't obtained. Very dim lol. Isn't interested in learning new things (his attention span isn't big at all lol). Not very food motivated, but is toy motivated (provided it's his tennis ball or a bite tug). When with his pack, other dogs don't really interest him, but when he's on his own, he likes to go towards other dogs, then stop before he gets to them and comes back. Doesn't have much stamina if throwing balls, but if you're just walking, he can go on for ages with no problem. Not very energetic, but has a brilliant focus when he's playing. He is lazy, so loves to lounge around a lot (but is easily hyped up to play). He can get very vocal when walking to the park (that's through my lack of training though and letting him as he will shut up if you tell him and wait for him to calm a bit). Doesn't bark in the car. Is a fuss monster. He loves having cuddles and fuss, but is quite happy to lie on his own contently. Not as good of a temprement as Jess, but I think this is down to his nervous disposition. He can be very wary of some things (like a baby gate that isn't put up :roll: ) and will bark at them to make them go away, but will be backing up at the same time. VERY territorial (unless he knows/trusts you or the dog involved).

So all in all, both have their pros and cons for me. I think the German Lines are better though, and if they were both from the same sort of lines, I'd be able to give a more fair comparison. I believe the non-standard GSDs aren't as steady in temprement as I believe that breeding for colour has played more in their breeding than the standard GSDs (I know this isn't always the case before someone shoots me down, just my opinion of the non-standard GSDs -v- standard GSDs that I've met).

Hope this has given you a bit of an insight with my two.
  5. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    As you have rightly said, all dogs are individuals and even within the same litter you will get huge differences in personality.

Therefore I think you are wise to go to a reputable breeder and tell them your requirements and let them choose the pup that they feel is most suited to your lifestyle.

Personally, I prefer males but that is more the look than their personalities - having had two females and three males, however for my next pup I will probably let the breeder choose the most suitable pup for me - whether that be male or female.
  6. Kizzy24

Kizzy24 New Member

Name:
    Michelle
    In my experience I have found females are easier to train and are more willing than males....males tend to be more interested in sniffing etc and can be more head strong but they can also be the more affectionate sex.

Sounds like you're looking for a Working GSD? Am i right?
  7. Blitzen

Blitzen New Member

Name:
    Blitzen
    I'm going to agree with Smokeybear and Moobli by saying that you are more likely to get what you want in a dog by looking at each pup in the litter as an individual, rather than by judging them according to whether they are male or female. A responsible, knowledgeable breeder will know his/her pups better than anyone else, and are best placed to help you select the pup you think will suit your needs best.

You might want to decide if showline or working line would best suit your needs also, and what lines would be more appropriate, but there are loads of good posts on this subject at the moment.

That and the training you put in to your pup will have more influence on the end result than whether it is male or female.

I prefer males, but I can't put my finger on why!
  8. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    I must prefer males in any breed ;-) & have found that males tend to be better"companions"less moods swings due to hormones, having said that my Keewee(BC female)is the most cuddly dog I have ever had !
  9. kammi_sparky123

kammi_sparky123 New Member

Name:
    Thanks everyone!

jesterjenn - that was a lovely post, thanks! :D

kizzy24 - noooo no working gsd for me, at least not for my first one :lol:

I know I will decide on the pup rather than picking a sex before hand, but it is hard knowing that it will be minimum 2 years I think before I can get one, so it is difficult to think about it and "plan" as such, without having a preferred gender! :lol:

Thanks everyone, was just curious if one gender stood out to you for me from what I put :D