GSD Owners - what is the 'thing'? Questions

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by nickmcmechan, Dec 3, 2011.

1. nickmcmechan

nickmcmechan New Member

Name:
    Nick

GSD Owners - what is the 'thing'?

I've read much about 'once a GSD owner, always a GSD owner' and that 'something about them'. Triallists who have them all seem to moan about the challenges they have with them and then say '...mind, I wouldn't have anything else...'

As I bond with Max my GSD pup I'm discovering how he seems to get under my skin but I can't put my finger on it or describe it properly?

As a GSD owner, how do you describe this feeling?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. kirsty_

kirsty_ New Member

Name:
    kirsty
    Wait untill hes mature, they get even more under your skin.
  4. jesterjenn

jesterjenn New Member

Name:
    Jeni
    They just have a certain air and grace about them that's contageous. So loyal, so trusting, but each have their own individual personalities, so not one is the same.
  5. lisa01uk87

lisa01uk87 New Member

Name:
    lisa
    couldn't have put it better myself, between me and my mum we have 5 and while we can generally match energy levels, personalities are all completely different :grin:
  6. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    GSDs live for you - and would willingly die for you. They share your life and in return you adore them.
    It`s all in the eyes.
    [​IMG]
  7. alexgirl73

alexgirl73 New Member

Name:
    Alex
    exactly C&D! It's the eyes that do it for me. When Ranger lifts his head and gazes at me with that soulful look (usually after he's shredded something he shouldn't have :lol:) my heart melts.
  8. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    I think this goes for any person/dog - when you find the breed that 'clicks' with you.

Its a great feeling :)
  9. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
    I would agree I feel like that about my Beardies:grin:
  10. twix

twix New Member

Name:
    twix
    And how do they get under your skin without you realising it?

As a kid I was bitten by a GSD (my fault) so I wouldn't have expected to take to them like I have. My first male is a complete luvbug.
  11. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    GSDs are the ultimate breed for me. They are incredibly beautiful to look at, loyal, brave, intelligent and they are real people dogs. A good GSD is really in tune with his owner.
  12. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    I am not sure if there is anything unique about GSD particularly.

I think it depends on the individual dogs and owner. I have had 6 dogs and two of them got under my skin. My first Weimaraner and my GSD.

Both of them were "all me" as people said/say, both definitely "one man dogs".

I would never say "there is no other breed" for me as we change, evolve and at some point I will have to downsize when i am not strong enough to cope with the type of dog I currently enjoy.

Next year I will have my third breed and am looking forward to the challenges that will bring.
  13. Northernsoulgirl

Northernsoulgirl New Member

Name:
    Gill
    Whilst I am quite sure I could love another breed, I had Cairn Terriers for years and loved them to bits, my heart would always miss a GSD. I am not sure I would have any more dogs now for various reasons but if I did I would probably be looking at a GSD rescue for an older more sedate dog rather than any other small manageable breed.
  14. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    My sister has this GSD thing, but apart from the dogs we grew up with (cocker spaniel, collie crosses) she's not had another breed -it was her ex husband who wanted GSDs because his mum bred them. Yes she wants another shep and does miss them, despite now being the carer for my rescue Malinois.

I don't understand it TBH... especially when I see Merlin and/or my rescue girl wanting to be close and give love, she seems to want to keep them at a distance. Is that it?
  15. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I have had collies as well as my GSDs, but since as far back as I can remember I had this love for the GSD breed and I would always want one. They can provide all sorts of challenges that a less demanding breed wouldn't, but I still wouldn't want anything else. Or at least, if I did get another breed again, I would always want a GSD alongside too.

I can't even say precisely why it was the GSD breed I fell for hook line and sinker, as I walked lots of different breeds when I was younger.
  16. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    I`ve got a motley crew - but it`s Daisy who makes me melt when she looks at me. I hope I am never without a German Shepherd.
    For the Shamus the Shorthair I`m the staff
    for Dobie X Prince I`m the teacher
    for Alfie the collie I`m mum
    but Daisy is my friend. :grin:
  17. Sosha

Sosha New Member

Name:
    Sosha
    take away the "air and grace" and you could be talking terrier... :lol:
  18. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    That's lovely.
  19. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    Nail and head there Claire, except for you missed out the "best" before that friend!!! Absolutely! Mine is and always will be my very best friend, she knows me inside out, moreso than any of my human friends!:grin:

Sosha, I'm afraid your terriers just can't match it, they run off hunting, a gsd would never do that, they cannot let you out of sight, it's not in their nature like your terriers!:grin:
  20. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    GSDs certainly seem to have a very strong and dedicated following. Not that other breeds don't, but GSDs are special. So there! :D
  21. alys

alys New Member

Name:
    alys
    I love my GSD but Dobermen are my breed of choice and although I said I wouldn't have another,I miss them so much,never say never!