Fox hounds as pets Questions

Discussion in 'Foxhound' started by x-clo-x, Dec 21, 2011.

1. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    awww :lol: :lol: :lol: you should of let him go :lol: :lol: :lol: sure the hounds wouldnt notice another joining the crew :lol:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Here is Mums - she was a hunt dog that ended up in rescue.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    she is absolutely stunning! :007:
  5. one.eyed.dog

one.eyed.dog New Member

Name:
    Ellie
    I would love to have let Lucy go on a hunt with a pack. She would have had the time of her life.
  6. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    its so good seeing how much the dogs love it. i get so excited when they start speaking, and im constantly smiling at them because they have such a wonderful time :mrgreen:
  7. one.eyed.dog

one.eyed.dog New Member

Name:
    Ellie
    Stunning photos. Especially the Welshie cross.
  8. Freyja

Freyja New Member

Name:
    Helen
    You are talking about Rosemarie she goes or used to go to ring craft in Middlewhich I went too years ago so know her well. She also does the discover dogs stand at crufts The last time I saw her she had about 6/7 foxhounds she also won the breeders stakes at crufts a few years back. She has bred hounds that have gone to work with the hunt and has also taken on at least one hound that has retired from the hunt maybe more
  9. cravencraven

cravencraven New Member

Name:
    fiona
    She's gorgeous.:007:
  10. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    Ahh thanks for that :mrgreen:
  11. EgyptGal

EgyptGal New Member

Name:
    SHARON
    Gorgeous pics :049:
  12. Tass

Tass New Member

Name:
    Tass
    I expect it makes a difference as to how they are bred and reared but when the hunting ban was under discussion there was some research done looking at, IIRC, 16 or 17 ex hunt rehomed Fox hounds in pet homes.

Most people found them very challenging as pets with recall, roaming, destructiveness and house training problems, as one might expect when taken out of their high exercise, group-living, outdoor, kennelled, structured, sharply-disciplined, working lifestyle.

Surprisingly there were also some human-directed aggression problems that emerged in a few of these, something very, very rarely seen in hunt hounds.

Maybe it was due to different discipline and management in a pet home, or due to frustration from no longer hunting or from no longer being part of a large pack?

Most MFHs would not recommend rehoming ex working Fox Hounds as pets, although no doubt, given the large numbers, there will always be exceptions.

Lovely looking dogs. Aside from tattoos, ex working hounds are often quite well-scarred from fences, barbed wire, brambles etc, and occasionally from "discussions" with other hounds.