How many lengths of coat - GSD? Grooming

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by kammi_sparky123, Jan 23, 2012.

1. kammi_sparky123

kammi_sparky123 New Member

Name:

How many lengths of coat - GSD?

I ask this as I thought there was only two..... but looking at more pictures it seems like there is almost 3?

Short coated, long coated, and then a sort of mid-medium coated? Or is that just a long coated but not as long? :lol:

ETA: - I shall explain :lol:

To me I see three lengths.... short:

http://www.conbhaireangsd.co.uk/dogpge.php?dog=1

Medium (this is the length I love the best):

http://www.conbhaireangsd.co.uk/dogpge.php?dog=17

and then the long coat:

http://www.kazetigsds.co.uk/
    (go on "our stud boys" and then look at Axel)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. lisa01uk87

lisa01uk87 New Member

Name:
    lisa
    there are 3 lengths of coat, short, semi long and long.

Axel is a stunning dog ( i can tell you that without having to back on the kazeti website, because i have been on it so many times lol)
  4. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    Ahh so there IS three lengths and I am not going mad? :lol:

He really is stunning :D
  5. lisa01uk87

lisa01uk87 New Member

Name:
    lisa
    [​IMG]

Back Row (left to right)
    Kaine - Dark short coat
    Ty - Lighter Long coat

Middle Row (left to right)
    Zara - Dark Long coat
    Emmy - Light Semi long coat

Front
    Xeva - Dark Short Coat
  6. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Now I don't agree really.

I think there are standard coat (ie short with a double coat) and there are long coat. Long coat (to me) can be semi (like Dougie) or long (like Axel). Both are longcoats.

In the USA, I think they like to call the semi "plush", but as far as I am concerned anyway, there are standard coat and long coat.
  7. lisa01uk87

lisa01uk87 New Member

Name:
    lisa
    i think its down to your own interpretations, my trainer refers to Emmy as a long coat but i don't see it myself, the fur on her back is just as short as Kaine's is, but you can see length else where.
  8. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Yep from your photo I would describe Emmy as longcoat too.
  9. Jackalyn

Jackalyn New Member

Name:
    JACKIE
    I'm not sure what kodi is. She has a lot of fur and it's really soft like puppy fur but not sure if she woul be classed as short or semi.
  10. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    I thought there were only 2, and the longcoat is not a longcoat unless they have the flecks on the ears, that's the definition I thought, it's all about them big ears!!:)

I did hear something a long time ago about the mid-length, do some peops call that the luxury coat? I've forgotten the word that was used?

I do find it confusing though, because I've had one standard shortcoated gsd, and all the others, although longcoats, they did vary tremendously, my last bitch being like a newfie, and the latest one with a really, fine mid-length type.
  11. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Actually there are three types:
    1.Normal
    2.Long
    3.Mole

The mole coat is the opposite of the long coat & is akin to a smooth collie-this coat is very rare & not correct
  12. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I have never heard of a "mole" coat before. I assume this one has no undercoat?
  13. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I just googled and found a photo of a GSD (believed to be purebred) that has a "mole" coat. It is akin to a Doberman's coat.
  14. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    No they have under coat, but the fur is very very very short both top coat & undercoat
  15. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
    What gorgeous dogs Lisa:grin:
  16. lisa01uk87

lisa01uk87 New Member

Name:
    lisa
    Thanks, they arn't all mine though, 3 belong to my mum (Zara, Kaine and Emmy)
  17. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Can I ask how Kaine is bred? He reminds me so much of a friend's GSD who I was very fond of:) Fozzie has long ago gone to the bridge but I thought of him right away:007:
  18. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    Emmy has the length of coat I would ideally like - I love the mid-length ones, but second choice for me would be short haired :)

Can you tell how long a dogs fur is going to be from how "fluffy" it is as a puppy?
  19. GSD-Sue

GSD-Sue New Member

Name:
    Sue
    When they are very young it is difficult to always know & I would often know in my litters by their head. By the time they go at 8 weeks you can usually know, but from where the dog has long hair more than the amount, but particularly in what you call the medium coat it is not always possible to know. I assume you would know the true longcoat without an undercoat from an early age but as I have only seen a couple of these as adults & none as puppies I wold not like to state this as a fact. Also fluffy coats in puppies can be linked to dwarfism where the puppy coat is heavy & fluffy but the dog never developes an adult coat & gradually goes bald.
  20. lisa01uk87

lisa01uk87 New Member

Name:
    lisa

I have no idea, none of the dogs have paperd, mum bought kaine and ty nearly 7 years ago, zara and emmy are both rescues and xeva well she gas a thread all of her own trying to decipher any dogs in her lineage with not much success
  21. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
    That's ok I was just being nosy:lol: