Silken Windhound, anyone experience with this "breed". General Chat

Discussion in 'Silken Windhounds' started by muttzrule, Jan 23, 2012.

1. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    Ooo, whens the litter planned for?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. chaumsong

chaumsong New Member

Name:
    Jane
    Some time this year, I'm not sure of exactly when, Mum will be my Millys younger sister (a stunning self red) and I think Dad is in the Netherlands so it's a bit of a trek for the breeder :)
  4. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    Very tempted have to say.
  5. Windhound

Windhound New Member

Name:
    Suzanne
    :blush: Sorry Jane ,but have to say that you could never persuade me to have a Silken in opposition to my beautiful Borzoi. 40yrs of living with Borzoi would never make me change my affections. I know that Silken owners (like you and Lorraine) are very dedicated to the breed,and they are very sweet,but not for me,tooooo small ! (and I do not have anything against small dogs,I have a whippet x bedlington) just not miniaturised Borzoi !
  6. chaumsong

chaumsong New Member

Name:
    Jane
    Well that's ok, each to their own and all that :lol:

No breed is perfect for everyone. For me the silken is the perfect dog, I love borzois but as I don't have my own land and I enjoy walking in public places and meeting new dogs and watching hounds run free, borzois are not always ideal for that.

I absolutely agree that the silken cannot match the borzois sheer presence, but I balance that out with being able to fit more of them in the car, lower vet bills, lower feeding costs etc :lol:

It's not a competition, I would never own a chihuahua or a bullmastiff but they are both great breeds - just not for me :)
  7. chaumsong

chaumsong New Member

Name:
    Jane
    Some of the silkens at the UK show

[​IMG]

Best In Match was Spice's dad Kristull Barndance at Endevor
    [​IMG]

and for those tempted by a silken there is a litter due in England in about 4 weeks. Starborough Serenade has been confirmed in whelp to the lovely black dog from the Netherlands (Jagnes Black Cleithe). Vet says he can see 4 or 5, pups will all be self coloured, probably black.

Mum
    [​IMG]

Cleithe is the black dog seen behind the BIM winner above.
  8. spockky boy

spockky boy New Member

Name:
    qwerty
    Very pretty :D
  9. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    Would LOVE one but no can't !! Gorgeous though :007:
  10. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    really gorgeous dogs. Long been an admirer of them.
  11. chaumsong

chaumsong New Member

Name:
    Jane
  12. chaumsong

chaumsong New Member

Name:
    Jane
    Just a quick silken update, we've had a population explosion with 1 new import puppy from the states and a litter of 5 pups born last weekend, making the number of silkens in the UK now 35 :)

This is the latest import, 17 weeks old. Alligante Jubilee of Cairdean

[​IMG]

and one of the latest litter of pups at Starborough

[​IMG]

The handbook from the show in Kent has been reprinted and I have a few copies to sell on behalf of the UK Club. It's a great book for anyone interested in the breed with a history of their development and a photo directory of the UK dogs and a lot of European ones too, as well as kennel ads etc. £10 or £12.50 posted.

I took my pair over to Germany last weekend for the European silken show, we all enjoyed the trip immensely and brought home lots of goodies too.

Here's Milly at the show, being spayed she had to go in the companion class and was BISS companion both days. She graded very good on Saturday and Excellent on Sunday.

[​IMG]

and Spice, he had to go in junior (9 to 18 months) and was 2nd both days. He was the same as Milly, VG Saturday, Excellent Sunday.

[​IMG]
  13. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    Gorgeous dogs.:grin:
  14. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Oh My! what beauties they are :007:
    I'm in love with their looks and I've only just learned about them :007: :007:
  15. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    [​IMG]

I wasn't aware of these colours - lovely :007:
  16. chaumsong

chaumsong New Member

Name:
    Jane
    Silkens come in all colours Phil :)

White, black and silver
    [​IMG]

an assortment of brindle shades and some white and mahogany,silver or black
    [​IMG]

another mainly white pup
    [​IMG]
  17. scoveewa

scoveewa New Member

Name:
    koki
    WOW, they are very beautiful.
  18. muttzrule

muttzrule New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    Stunning pics! Someday......
  19. Sky & Joys Dad

Sky & Joys Dad New Member

Name:
    James
    Just back from Devon. Met a lady on the beach near Braunton with seven of these! Pleased I recognized them (and was told I was a very clever boy for doing so too!!). She and her husband had just imported a beauty of a male from USA "to improve the bloodline in UK" He is a dark brindle with a lovely look to him. Allthose present seemed to approve of our two greys too.
  20. chaumsong

chaumsong New Member

Name:
    Jane
    Oh that would be Hilary, Chair of the UK Silken Windhound Club. This is her lovely new import, UKC Ch. Alligante Winsome Riviera

[​IMG]

The dark brindle dog you liked was bred in this country by Sue Lewis and Gill Grist at Endevor Hounds, he's a 3/4 brother of my Spice and a lovely boy. The dark brindle and white bitch is his litter sister.

The 2 lighter 'butterscotch' brindles are litter brother and sister to my Milly :)

My lot were at the beach today too, seems like a good excuse for some photos :grin:

Spice

[​IMG]

Milly

[​IMG]

just mucking around

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are another 2 American imports in the country too, Lorraine and Michelle Marchant of Starborough hounds have brought in two promising puppies, I'm waiting for photos of them, will share when I get them. This makes 38 silken windhounds in the country now :)
  21. spot

spot New Member

I absolutely love those dogs !