GSD takes Group at Westminster Showing

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by Moobli, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty

GSD takes Group at Westminster

What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    Well done of course.

I am certainly no expert on the GSD. Is he/she meant to be standing that low on the hind legs ? Is this breeding or Stacking ?

If it is breeding I think it is sad.
  4. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    To me he looks like he's been over stretched in the stack. I do wish handlers wouldn't stack them like that - it looks unnatural IMO. Other than that he doesn't look to overdone to me, but hard to say in that stance.
  5. Fivedogpam

Fivedogpam New Member

Name:
    Pam
    As a non-GSD person, he looks deformed to me. I had hoped the more straight backed GSDs would start to take over.:-(
  6. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    in my opinion!!!! still a gorgeous looking dog.. BUT, too far stretched, and too low. although i still prefer this american look to the german show look. these still gate better than the "hyena" look of the german show dogs! (ps.stand by for wildmoor)
  7. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Chesty like most Americans like most breeds, but otherwise looks fine.

Dog has a very straight back, it is just the stance that exaggerates the look.

Not deformed at all, cannot see any deformities on this dog and for one to have won the group at Westminster it must have been outstanding.

Not my personal type of dog but that is irrelevant.
  8. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    They almost look as though they are crouching so very misleading.

Totally agree with SB though.

Helen
  9. sarah1983

sarah1983 New Member

Name:
    sarah
    Wow, the Americans I'm friends with have a very different opinion. They HATE him! Apparently he moved well at a trot but at a walk his feet were flopping around all over the place, his back end wobbled around and he nearly fell over when he turned. I haven't seen video myself.

Have to say he doesn't look that bad to me compared to some of the GSDs you see.
  10. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    Could someone explain to me why they have the dog stand like that? :)
  11. jesterjenn

jesterjenn New Member

Name:
    Jeni
    I think he's lovely!!!

His back looks very straight to me, but I personally wouldn't stack him that low, but hey ho, it obviously was what the judges were liking :)

It's nice to see such a straight back to be fair :) I'd love to see a pic of him standing normally - do you know his name?
  12. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    no! as this was the standard that they all came from!!!!
    this was what was recognised as the perfect specimen.
    [​IMG]
  13. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    He is GCH Babheim's Captain Crunch.

I didn't think he was too extreme either and would like to see him stood normally, rather than stacked in that ridiculous fashion.

I, too, would like to know what the whole point of that is :017: Can anyone please explain about stacking (in the UK and the USA).
  14. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    The US friends I have on FB (who are, to be fair, mainly working GSD enthusiasts) have also said how awful this dog is.
  15. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    But surely, if you stack that dog the same as the one here, you would still get the sloping back?

I am in no way an expert and always disliked the "banana backs" but reading about it, a lot does go into the stacking to create that? Although why you would want a sloping back to that extent beats me.

I would say that this topic causes a lot more controvesy than any other breed!

Helen
  16. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    There is always going to be a difference in opinion with the working and show people - it seems to happen in all breeds!

I can't believe I am defending this dog lol but what SB said did make sense when you actually looked through the stacking.

However, if the dog was as awful as a lot of people were saying, maybe it was down to politics?

Helen
  17. sarah1983

sarah1983 New Member

Name:
    sarah
    A lot of them have said this is the case. They reckon the dog won because of who was handling him not because of his conformation.
  18. Sosha

Sosha New Member

Name:
    Sosha
    Too top heavy for me. Just from a personal taste POV. Too much head & chest - Like to see them more athletic. I could ofcourse be talking carp.

Edit: And neck.

Actually if that became the ideal shape for a GSD it'd be a real shame but again JMO
  19. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    GSDs do really seem to get people passionate - and not just folk within the breed either.

I don't know whether a dog with a less angulated topline could ever look as sloping as the US one, or indeed as some of the UK ones seen in the show ring.

What I still don't understand is WHY are GSDs stacked this way, when they weren't in the past? :017:
  20. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    As I said, I am in NO way an expert but the only reason I can think of is that it makes them more powerful looking. Are GSD's supposed to have a lot of stamina, to be able to keep going?

The first picture looks to me a lot more powerful that the one above. Obviously, my very inexperienced thoughts. Now, if it were gundogs......lol

Helen
  21. tokiayla

tokiayla New Member

Name:
    Kay
    I just watched the video of the BOB judging - most of them were dreadful on the move (just IMHO). Too chunky up front & low in the body for me.
    But....each to their own.....there are so many different 'types' of GSD, not everyone is going to like the same thing!