Any Blue Lacy owners? General Chat

Discussion in 'Blue Lacy' started by Jpepper, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Jpepper

Jpepper New Member

Name:
    Jeffrey

Any Blue Lacy owners?

Just joined this forum and was curious if anybody is familiar with the breed or owns one of these dogs. I have two of them that I use for tracking wounded game and hog hunting as well as bay competitions and hunting varmint & retrieving birds. They are one of the most versatile breeds I've ever come across with such a high prey drive and enormous amount of intelligence with the personality that would rival that of a teenager.

I wasn't sure where to post this thread because honestly it could be in the gun dog section or pastrial portion or even the hound section! I'll start here but mods please move this thread if you feel it should be elsewhere.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    I've honestly never heard of them. Do they go by any other name? are they gundogs?

Pictures would be good. :)
  4. Jpepper

Jpepper New Member

Name:
    Jeffrey
    If you check out the photos section I posted a few of mine just a while ago! Otherwise you can go to lacydog.com for more information about the breed.

Lacy Dogs
    Lacy hog dogs
    Texas Blue Lacy
    Blue Lacy
    Lacy Game Dog

Few other names that I've heard them called. Only breed to originate in Texas and if I'm not mistaken hybrid breed of Grey Wolf, english sight hound & greyhound. You could call them gundogs as well. They aren't very common anywhere except Central Texas.
  5. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
  6. Jpepper

Jpepper New Member

Name:
    Jeffrey
    Thanks!! I'm proud of every single one of those dogs! If you're really interested about this breed I would suggest reading this book my breeder wrote called The Texas Dog Manual by Sean Cockrell. Bunch of good information and if I'm not mistaken the only book about the breed. This breed isn't for everyone I'll admit and needs a job to do if you want to satisfy it and not have it destroy everything.

Check out Pecan Peak Ranch.com for more info. Would recommend I've already read it twice :mrgreen: Also the gyp on the front cover is Sissy whom both of my dogs are out of.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2012
  7. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Thanks. Beautiful dogs. They kind of look like a Weimaraner stuck with a bit of Lurcher and a bit of some type of Bull breed.
  8. Jpepper

Jpepper New Member

Name:
    Jeffrey
    I always get the weim mix or silver lab even sometimes when people ask what they are. Only come across a few people who actually knew what the breed was right away. Most people in Texas don't even have a clue it is the state dog and never heard of them. I'll have to look up Lurcher never heard of them before.
  9. Anniebee

Anniebee New Member

Name:
    Annie
    Gorgeous dogs :)
  10. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    Cracking dogs..... :049:
    [​IMG]
  11. Jpepper

Jpepper New Member

Name:
    Jeffrey
    Guess I'm alone on this forum. Nobody own a Lacy dog or cur dog for that matter?
  12. Jpepper

Jpepper New Member

Name:
    Jeffrey
  13. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie
    Wow, what a lovely looking dog.

Very nice, well...you learn something new every day.;-)
  14. Gator head Mink

Gator head Mink New Member

Name:
    Lulu
    Yes, we have a female Lacy. She is 2 yrs old and very clever. This is definitely a breed that requires an outdoor task and a lot of exercise. Stubborn, smart, cheeky, but very sweet to the family and great with our toddler. Very protective of her family! Sheds a ton. :/ Musky odor, not aweful...but not frou frou like our Bichon ;):009:
    My husband is a deer hunter, she is a tracking dog. We will not use her for any hog hunting, too dangerous! We plan to purchase a GPS collar before the next season so we don't risk losing track of her. They're such headstrong dogs, she doesn't respond consistently to our commands. This is not a breed that will be a good match for very many people. They're a handful. She has destroyed toys, my designer shoes, cushions and padding in her crate...barks loud and often when out in our yard. NOT a breed for city people or the lazy that have no time or the desire to keep the dog busy.
  15. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    look forward to seeing some pictures :)