Whoop! Whoop! New puppy alert!!!! (Malinois) General Chat

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by maxine, Jul 8, 2012.

1. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    Thank you. Welcome to Dogsey by the way! :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. aron

aron New Member

Name:
    aron
    thank you ....
  4. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear

I am afraid I will have to disagree with your statement that BSD have better temperaments than GSDs.

YOUR particular dog may have been MORE loving and loyal to YOU than A GSD, but I am afraid that does not make ALL BSD loving and loyal than GSD!

That is your own individual experience with ONE dog.

Whilst they have a better BMS than GSDs. Their scores range from 0 - 104 with GSD ranging from 0 - 106.

As for the police turning more to BSD than GSD I am afraid that is not the case.

Also I think you will find that they use one TYPE of BSD ie the Malinois, not the Laekenois, Groenendael or Terveuren.

Yes I own a GSD but my next pup will be a BSD (Malinois) so I think my view is fairly balanced. ;)
  5. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Ah my best friend just lost a GSD called Tia at 14. Good Luck.
  6. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    In Canada, they started using Mals, but no longer do as they are so different to train (he used the example of a Sports car vs a Mac truck, though I dont think they're quite that different) that they weren't doing their best with the BSD in a previously GSD only force. they've gone back to being GSD only... And almost all imported from Europe... apparently their breeding programs have been largly unsuccessful.
  7. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Very interesting to find out what happens in other countries too. I recently watched a couple of police dog shows - two from the US and one from Aus) and the police dogs used were almost exclusively working line GSDs.

I also have fond memories of going to pick up the very first Mali pup for Lancashire Police dog section and wondered then whether Malis would become as popular within the force as GSDs. They haven't so far - and that was 11years ago.
  8. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    Yeah they wanted to try them, and had some success, but not enough, apparently, and found them too different to train (and we all know how hard it is to change training methods!!!)

They still use chokers, however, they use a ton of rewards too... so slowly changing... but I cant help but wonder if the Mals are too sensitive to force training? that's why they weren't successful training them?
  9. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Depends on the force.

Some have enlightened trainers either within or without the force, some do not.

Also it depends on the dogs.

Many went over to the Continent to bring back dogs and found that they did not know enough a) about the breed and b) about how the ones they were looking at were raised.

So many dogs went back as either too tough for the police to handler or not environmentally sound enough.
  10. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    Sorry, I should have been specific. I'm talking the RCMP in Canada... I think some city forces may use Mals, but I dont know. The RCMP has their own training programs, and all the dogs are trained in just a few places, they then get transferred (with their handler) to other places :)
  11. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    Thank you. Look out for us at WTs, Merjuke Asbo is our posh name. I thought it rather fitting as grandma is called Mayanser Riot and has produced a fair few police dogs.
  12. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    Just a couple of days to go! I have erected the crate in the kitchen so Ollie gets used to the fact his bed has been moved before the puppy arrives. Kongs all stuffed and in the freezer. I'm not at all impatient.....
  13. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    VERY exciting. Do you have any piccies or video of your actual pup yet? I can't wait to see her :)
  14. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    Not yet but watch this space....
  15. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    OK, will keep watching :D Is Tia definitely an all black?
  16. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    Definitely all black.
  17. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Whoopee :) Standard or long coat? I'm nearly as excited as you :005:
  18. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    Lol!! Dad is a black standard coat and mum is a black and tan plush standard. So she might be a bit on the fluffy side!
  19. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    I do like grandma ..lol
  20. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    She looks nothing like Grandma, sorry Murf!
  21. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    I know i seen the pics ..lol