CSV (Czechoslovakian Wolfdog) vs GSD Discussions

Discussion in 'Czechoslovakian Wolfdog' started by STGSD, Jul 10, 2012.

1. STGSD

STGSD New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Ahh just looked back at the pic of the sire... he is a real stunner :007:

Do they have a website?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    They do ..Not Uk based though...
  4. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Oh, there you are ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol:
  5. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I know nothing about CSV at all - except that they are stunning looking animals and they are a relatively new breed.

However, I would want to know:-
    What are their temperaments like?
    What were they bred to do? (ie did they have an original job)? Were they bred as border patrol dogs??
    How is the breed with other dogs, people etc (in general)?
    How trainable are they?
    Were they devised to work alongside man? I know they were an "experiment", but what was the purpose of the experiment?

Why are there no breeders in the UK?

Is the main appeal of the CSV it's wolf-like appearance? Have they been bred purely for their appearance, or is there some substance behind the temperament, work-ethics etc?

Are there many of this breed participating and competing in dog sports or work in the UK or abroad?

As the breed was made up of the Z Pohranicni
    Straze working line GSDs and the Carpathian Wolf - how much of the GSD traits does it retain today? Is it wolf-like in appearance, yet with the innate trainability, drive and strong nerves and temperament of a WL GSD?

Does the breed suffer from the same health problems as GSDs?

And, lastly (for now at least ;)) how do these wolf lookalike dogs differ from the many other "strains" of wolf lookalikes?
  6. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Ooh what other DWA has your OH got ... except for you of course - grrrr! :lol: :016:
  7. MadisonSale

MadisonSale New Member

Name:
    Madison Sale
    ill bring a few piccies to this :p i'm lucky enough to have a friend (chrishind on here) who has 2 csv's (1 from a pup and 1 rescued) and he lives 5 minutes away from me, so i get plenty of opportunity to get used to their quirky ways and such.

usually i go out for walks with Chris and both dogs, but have been brave and taken 1 out on my own a few times to the pine woods :)

as far as importing goes i don't see a problem. if the breeder is responsible, they should be willing to help in any way they can to ensure the pups safety and comfort throughout the journey. and if they are an internationally recognised breeder, no doubt they will have imported before, and so should know the correct processes.

for me its more a case of when rather than if :lol: i just need my situation to be right then i will be on the hunt for prospective pups :)

anyway ... pics!

okay so this is pixie:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and this is loki the rescue
    [​IMG]

both of them together:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. MadisonSale

MadisonSale New Member

Name:
    Madison Sale
    i hope that everything answered :p
  9. shadowlandsbg

shadowlandsbg New Member

Name:
    Christine
    Aww shucks Murph <3

There are a lot of good breeders out there - just be careful and do your homework :p The club (www.vlciak.org.uk) are there to help find puppies from good lines and good ethical breeders. They have a lot of very valuable contacts all over to help find members the perfect puppy :)

PS this club is NOT to be confused with czechoslovakianvlcak.co.uk whose members include cross breeders and who have dubious intentions for the breed (most involving ££££) :(
  10. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    Jet and copper.... Shyness is a fault in csv's!!! U are mistaking them for swh!! ;) of course not to be confused with 'indifference' lol :)
  11. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    W..
    [​IMG]
    T and W..
    [​IMG]

W..
    [​IMG]
  12. shadowlandsbg

shadowlandsbg New Member

Name:
    Christine
    Now I've read through the whole thread...

Great responses Maddie :)

I am the breeder of Wylie - if you want a fix of puppy pics, our website is shadowlandsbg.com (Wylie started out life as Blue Moon Shadowlands Bulgaria :) ) His Mum, Shadow, is our girl and we mated her with Bjondo (Arriminum Sunrise) who is owned by Rodica Fock (.konigs-terry.ro), the breeder of Shadow. Her English is not brilliant, but her dogs are :049: She has puppies now :)

As I said in my previous post - contact the club and you will find people happy to help you through the whole process of finding a good breeder, getting a puppy and getting it home to the UK.

Be very wary of any UK breeder until such times as the breed is KC recognised. I do know of a litter just whelped in England to parents with bad hips, both DM carriers (to my knowledge) and the mother has a bad temperament. These pups will never be pedigreed (mother is a UK bred dog herself, father is pedigree but from dubious Hungarian lines :( ), yet they are asking £2000 per pup!!! You will easily be able to import a pup, everything included, for less than that - and know that you have a good example of the breed that has a proven pedigree to boot (as long as you do your breeder homework!).
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2012
  13. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    Csv's were not bred for looks...although there is a breed standard and the idea is to breed to it ;)... There were bred purely for working.... Like any bred tho,some are better than others at it..the problem they had with csv's were (other than no border to patrol anymore lol!)Was that at that time the handlers had to change dogs every few years...and the csv's bonded to their first handlers too strongly(so that answers the question about faithfulness ;)).. They excell at tracking/scent work ..there are working sar dogs abroad,there is also a frisbee champion :lol:.. Tupac has a real love for agility and has been complemented by the local 'explosives dog' handler...he also thinks wylie would be a cracking worker :)...I'm off to work in a min,and only have phone internet but I'll try and answer some more questions later :)
  14. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki

Stunning, breath-takingly handsome dogs.

I would go for a CSV every single time over a pure GSD.
  15. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki

The best thing that could happen for all breeds is that they are bred not for looks but whether they can perform the functions for which they were originally "designed".

this is why I love the breed so much. I think they are fabulous dogs both to look at but in themselves as well. I have met many over the years, and not one was anything but wonderful. Your Tupac is just the best, you know how I feel about him, you are one very very very lucky lady!!
  16. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    magnificent looking dogs... both.
  17. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

I must be the odd one out on this thread :D the bottom one is OK but the GSD is breathtaking, I would take him every time
  18. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    i didn't want to say that... because it isn't a gsd thread!!
    i was being polite!:grin:
  19. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    Well I'd say they wouldn't make a great pair as its crossing two wonderfull breeds for no reason ;)
  20. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Haha nope - not the odd one out. I do like the CSVs but would not choose one (or anything else for that matter) over a WL GSD :)
  21. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I don't think STGSD meant they would make great puppies - but they would make a great pair of dogs to own at the same time :017: