German Shepherd x Jack Russell Questions

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by Barney'sMum, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Barney'sMum

Barney'sMum New Member

Name:
    Rachel

German Shepherd x Jack Russell

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any experience of this cross? Every time we tell ppl what he is we get shocked looks!! :grin:

[​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. zoeyvonne

zoeyvonne New Member

Name:
    zoe
    He is gorgeous, yes I bet you do get some shocked looks :lol: He looks more Jack but with shep colours I don't think he looks like he will be a very big dog maybe small to medium :)
  4. nickmcmechan

nickmcmechan New Member

Name:
    Nick
    I'm just trying to imagine how that was possible, especially if the Sire was the JRT!!!
  5. Barney'sMum

Barney'sMum New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    His mum was the Jack Russell, we got him from a lovely couple the wife had a Jack russell the husband a German Shepherd and one day...well you know the rest! was completely unplanned. Makes em wince every time i think of his Mum!

That photo is a week old now and he has doubled in size so i think he's going to be at least a medium dog.

We get a lot of he looks like a rottweiler which is always fun to correct and watch their faces :grin:

He has the sweetest nature tho and a very quick learner!! I've grew up with GS's and love them so when we decided to get a dog thats what i was looking for then came across this little guy and fell in love!
  6. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ouch!! poor mum!!
    He looks lovely - but what a cross!! I hope they have got her spayed now!
    I look forward to watching him grow - lots of photos please
  7. fiwen30

fiwen30 New Member

Name:
    Kendal
    Oh what a darling! I get the same looks when people find out Rogan's a RCxJR :lol:
  8. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    I find it unbelievable TBH & unless they actually saw the mating then the GSD is not the father. Just because the puppy is has similar markings to a GSD doesn't mean a GSD is the father, there are lots of similar JRT out there & not all JRT are mainly white

Unless the JRT is a huge bitch the GSD would not have been physically able to mate her. One of my BC bitches likes to hump my Cavalier(& she is spayed & the Cavalier is a dog BTW)just as my Dads GSD bitch liked to(same scenario GSD bitch/Cavalier male) & the Cavalier always ended up behind the bitch whilst she was humping thin air.

I have seen a Corgi x GSD but the Corgi was the dad & the mother a very small GSD & the owners' son had seen the mating but was too scared to tell his parents(mind you it was 30 years ago)
  9. zoeyvonne

zoeyvonne New Member

Name:
    zoe
    I posted about a rottie x bichon the other week don't know which was mum or dad but evidently it is possible ;-)

Oh and as Murf educated me on that thread dogs are quite experimental ie stairs sofas could be used !
  10. Barney'sMum

Barney'sMum New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Brilliant i'm sure they had to be experimental! I was a bit dubious at first but he is 100% positive the GS is the Dad and having had GS all my life now i've had him a few weeks you can tell there is some GS in him. Tbh i'm not all that bothered by what he is its obvs nice to know but he is an absolute sweetheart so glad i came across him by accident while looking for GS's :)
  11. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Must admit I was pretty shocked :lol:

He looks gorgeous tho! Please keep us posted on how you both get on.
  12. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki

where's there's a will, there's a way!!

As the Great Bard said!!
  13. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki

I don't find it unbelievable at all. it is perfectly possible ... why do you think the GSD could not penetrate the bitch? My daughter's chihuahua bitch is about the size of Tai's head, and yet when she is in season we have to be extremely careful of course if we have need to look after her. It doesn't bear thinking about, but believe me, it is perfectly possible.
  14. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever New Member

Name:
    Robyn
    I can remember reading in a magazine of an elderly female yorkshire terrier being mated by a young male rottie.
    She ended up having one puppy.

Oh and he is lovely :)
  15. Barney'sMum

Barney'sMum New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    i'm looking forward to seeing how he grows up i had a border collie x when i was younger who had the head and tail of a border collie and the body of a jr and he was adorable if a little bit misproportioned!
  16. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    It's whelping of the pup that I find unbelievable especially as the Mum was the JRT.
    I take it he was the only pup?
  17. Barney'sMum

Barney'sMum New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    no he was one of 5
  18. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay

SO you can prove that this puppy is definitely GSD dad & JRT mother ??

My GSDs used to interested in my Sheltie sized BC bitch & one tried his best to mate(despite both of them being neutered)her. The size difference made it impossible & she was a darn bigger than a JRT.

IMHO the puppy doesn't really look anything like a GSD other than the colour & I have seen plenty of JRT with the same colouring
  19. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    The reply says it all one of 5 !!!
  20. SmokeyRabbit

SmokeyRabbit New Member

Name:
    Teresa
    If the german shephard was a pup under 12 months,dont know how old they have to be to fertalise a female it is possible as my gsd collie cross was around size of dog in photo as a 5- 6 mnth old puppy, not that you would believe it now.
  21. crestnut

crestnut New Member

Name:
    lynda
    Its actually a wonder how the jack russell survived givin birth