Where to start looking for a wl gsd? Working Dogs

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by marleysmum, Oct 21, 2012.

1. marleysmum

marleysmum New Member

Name:
    Marleysmum

Where to start looking for a wl gsd?

i have always loved gsd's, iv read lots of books, researched the breed and i know that a gsd is defo the next dog i want, it wont be for another year but i wanted to see if anyone as any advice for me about the breed and where i can find a "straight backed" wl gsd? or sl if there is a straight backed sl gsd? all the ones iv come across look very frog like in there movement and look like they would have problems with mobility as they got older.:)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GSD-Sue

GSD-Sue New Member

Name:
    Sue
    There are a lot of GSD owners on here so look for one that has the sort you like & then ask them for kennels you can look at BUT please don't think that shape, whether straight, sloping, arched or bum high equals health. Unless the dog is from a rescue check parents hips back at least 4 generations & shoulders a minimom of one generation preferably more.
  4. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    I think you should do some more research.

There is a lot of bad press about GSD but often the reality does not match the media hype.

There are plenty of fit, healthy (in mind and body) in both SL and WL GSD.

I am sure you are aware the all breeding stock should be health screened for

Hip Dysplasia
    Elbow Dysplasia

at the very least.

Elbow scores should be 0
    Hips should be in single figures (combined) but the BMS is 19.
    Have you actually met any WL GSD? you may find their activity levels a little more than you had planned.
    Do not base your decisions on rumour and hearsay, go and visit breeders, see their stock including those that are retired from competition (whether in the ring or on the field) to see how athletic they are.
  5. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal
    i agree with Sb, research and research the breed thoroughly.
  6. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    You can't do too much research! I found a breeder that produces pure WL and SL x WL hybrids with the intention that they go to very active homes where they will do at least competitive obedience or agility but preferably WT or SCH. My puppy came from a 50/50 split bitch and pure WL dog. So far she is a dream puppy but I put a huge amount of time and effort into her. Much more so than any other puppy I have had, including my WL GSP who I thought was hard work at the time!
  7. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I am not surprised you would like to own a GSD :D They are a wonderful breed ;-)

You say you have done plenty of research, which is great. Have you met many GSDs? Were there any that you particularly liked re: looks and, more importantly, temperament? Are you drawn to the working lines more for their active, energetic temperament, or simply to steer away from the more angulated West German show types?

It might be an idea to try and spend some time around GSDs - either at dog shows (so you can see the different SL types), as well as obedience competitions (where you will see many of the so-called obedience bred dogs, usually longcoated) and then if you are near a working dog club, you could get a long and see some WL dogs.

I have a working line dog

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A West German longcoated dog

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

And an English "obedience line" bitch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Why not have a look through some of the threads below and see which type of dogs you are attracted to, and then ask their particular owner about their temperament, health, energy levels etc.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=102123

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=167587

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=149921
  8. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I agree with SB , you need to do some more research to be honest,

If you are basing your opinion on health by the look of the dog.

What ever type you go for , you need understand the difference in temperaments, you may find yourself over dogged if you simply go on looks.

If you buy from untested (health) stock, it wont matter a jot if the dog has the straightest back in the breed. if it comes from stock that has not been health tested it could end up as crippled as any other dog , (if it has bad hips and elbows)

Health testing is thee most important thing you need to look at.

Hips, elbows being two of them.
  9. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Imo, it is definitely important to find out about the health of the dogs a particular breeder has bred, and also to speak to other owners of that breeder's dogs if you can. However, health tests are only a part of that. Health tested stock can, and do, produce bad hips/elbows so you cannot just assume that you will have a healthy pup as it is from health tested parents/gparents etc.

Health testing is only one part of finding the right pup. Possible even more important (or at least equally as important) is temperament, character and nerve. There are so many GSDs with bad temperament, that it is of paramount importance to me personally.

Speak to owners, speak to breeders. Meet as many GSDs as you can :)
  10. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    And remember, one person's WL GSD is another person's "OTT" or conversely "couch potato" ;)

Look for reputable breeders who not only regularly health screen ALL their breeding stock but actually remove those which are higher than the BMS from their breeding programmes.

the world is not short of GSD, therefore there is no excuse or reason to breed from substandard stock.
  11. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I agree about the temperament being equally important in any breed you choose, and health issues can arise in all dogs even those that have come from health tested stock.

However if you do buy from tested stock, you lessen the odds said dog will suffer from hereditary hip/elbow, problems, rather than hoping for the best.

Environment plays a part in health also, and if you take the trouble (buyer and breeder ) to ensure the dogs you breed or buy have come from health tested stock, your odds weigh in favour of a healthier dog.

Any breeder who does not health test and uses the excuse that "it can happen anyway", is failing in producing the healthiest dogs they can.
  12. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Let us not forget, it does not matter if the dog has the temperament of a saint if it is a cripple................. ;)

But again, most breeding stock will be temperament tested one way or another either in the show ring or in the field of competition if not formally ie via actual "temperament testing"
  13. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Agree, and equally the other way round too ;-)
  14. marleysmum

marleysmum New Member

Name:
    Marleysmum
    thankyou everyone for the very helpful advice :) i will start getting myself around to get to know some gsds, iv got loads more research to do, i like the look of all gsds wether they are wl or sl, but i dont like the frog look of some of the ones iv seen in the show ring so i think thats why i thought it would be a wl id be looking for, but perhaps a sl would be suited more for my family, i dont intend on showing or working but i do want a very active dog like my lab as we are going to do agility and trekking around the countryside. i enjoy doing obedience training with my lab and hope to do the same with the gsd. Im a veterinary nurse so iv come across lots of problems that some gsds can have and unfortunatly most of them have been the show types.
    The pup i get will defo have health tested parents and i will make sure i can see back 4/5 generations.
  15. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    maybe its the area you are as most vets including orthopeadic vets tend to see the majority pet line GSDs with problems such as cruciate ligament disease, hd, epilepsy etc...