Wirehaired Daschund Questions

Discussion in 'Dachshund (Wire Haired)' started by peedie, Nov 22, 2012.

1. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten

Wirehaired Daschund

Can anyone tell me more about this breed? What are they like to live with? What are the best/worst things about them? :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Mini or Standard, they're completely different in breed traits
  4. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Well I have learned something already! What are the differences between the 2? I'd be looking at the least 'drivey' in that case.
  5. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Don`t know a lot about the mini, but a friend has always had the standard, they are lovely dogs, affectionate, but they DO live up to the HOUND element of their nature.

The hrs we have sent in the park waiting for him (her last one) to decide to come back from his mission, I remember one particular day, he was on the other side of the fence , within reaching distance, but there was no way he was coming back to us, a she had picked up a scent and had no intention of leaving it......2 hrs later , he decided to come back to us :shock:

There cute , can be feisty and very very driven if they get a scent.
  6. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    The wirehaired variety either standard or mini(ideally under 11 lbs in weight)have the very best temperaments of all the Dachshunds, I have friends with both sizes & their wires are definitely more out going than the long haired or smooths.

All Dachshunds can go "Hound"on occasions.

The only downside for me would be hand stripping the coats, if I had one it would perpetually bald as I love stripping out coats LOL
  7. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Thank you :) What are they like to live with? Are they generally good with other dogs and people?
    I have a wirehaired vizsla girl and love handstripping her too ha ha!
  8. Fernsmum

Fernsmum New Member

Name:
    Ali
    I had a wirehaired miniature and a smooth haired miniature . The wirehaired was very friendly and loved everyone . She was very well behaved especially compared to the smooth who was much more fiesty . However she did develop epilepsy and had fits all her life . :-(
  9. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Sorry to hear that Fernsmum :( Is that something they are prone to?
  10. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    PS realise I have totall mis-spelt Dachshunds in the title, sorry!
  11. Fernsmum

Fernsmum New Member

Name:
    Ali
    I'm no expert but I think it is in the breed and maybe someone who knows more could advise you . It is a very distressing condition .
  12. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    None of my friend's mini wires had/has epilepsy & she has had them for around 20 years.

They are brilliant little dogs to live with & my friend's live side by side with her hubby's gundogs & her Cesky terriers. good mixers with other dogs

Her's seem to lead very active long lives
  13. baranduin

baranduin New Member

Name:
    Louise
    A man sometimes comes up our road and releases a large pack of little hunting dogs. He calls them TECKELS but they look like WH Dachsunds. The go off hunting in the bushes and woods ranging about half a mile. Eventually he gets them all called up and off they go in his van.
  14. Fernsmum

Fernsmum New Member

Name:
    Ali
    Just googled the question " Are miniature wirehaired Dachshunds prone to epilepsy " as I didn't really know if they were or was mine unusual ? However there seems to be loads of evidence that they are .
    My dachshund with epilepsy did live a long and happy life , she died aged 14 but it is a very distressing condition :-(
  15. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Thanks all. I understand Teckel is an alternative name for dachshunds. Joedee that is really helpful, thank you. I will do some research into health issues Fernsmum and see what I can find. Thank you all for your help. x
  16. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
  17. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Teckels are working wire-haired, my friend had one, he was the sweetest little boy ever
  18. Fernsmum

Fernsmum New Member

Name:
    Ali

Yes possibly . She did develop the condition at age 6 which the vet seemed to think was quite late . She did have full grand mal fits . She was helped by medication which had to be adjusted from time to time . I don't think it shortened her life in any way as she lived to be 14 .
  19. basset

basset New Member

Name:
    caroline
    Wire haired dachshunds are fantastic dogs, every one I have ever met has been such a great personality. However, the biggest worry I would have about getting one would be potential back problems. I have bassets, so am used to being careful about backs, but it appears that dachshunds are even more prone to back injuries?
  20. sutty

sutty New Member

Name:
    sue
    I have a friend with 8 standard wires and I have to say, they are the happiest most good natured of all the Dachshunds, and they get on with every dog they meet, even my Glens love them, always happy to romp and play:grin:
  21. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Oh that is lovely to hear, thank you :)
    I am aware of the potential for back problems within the breed with them having long backs. I guess it's something you have to always be aware of and take care with if choosing one of these 'types'.