Boxer litter all whites - does this mean one of the parents must be white? Questions

Discussion in 'Boxer' started by Moli, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Moli

Moli New Member

Name:
    pat

Boxer litter all whites - does this mean one of the parents must be white?

We have a litter of Boxers in our local paper, they are all white, does this mean one of the parents must be white???
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole
    Very well could be :?
  4. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Flashy and Flashy should produce 25% each of White and plain and 50% flashy pups...
  5. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I would think so, maybe even both, or one white and one flashy.
  6. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    reading up and you can get all white from flashy and flashy ..
  7. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    What odds for a whole litter:?
  8. Kiing

Kiing New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I know very little about genetics, but know of someone who bred a red and a brindle Boxer (not sure if either parent was flashy), with the resulting litter consisting of one red, five whites and one white with a brindle patch over one eye - so I assume an all white litter with no white parent would also be possible?
  9. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Two fawns will only produce fawns, regardless of parentage.

Fawn to a double brindle will produce. 100% brindle

Fawn to single brindle will produce 50/50

Single to single brindle will produce both fawn and brindle

Single to double brindle will produce50/50 BB double brindle / Bb single brindle

All whites will still carry a fawn or brindle gene, the brindle gene is the dominant gene, and a white to a plain should only produce flashy.

Flashy to white will produce 50/50

White to white will produce all white

So from my understanding its not possible for a brindle or fawn to produce an all white litter :?
  10. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Not necessarily Molli, it can & does happen. Current trend of flashy Boxers probably contributes

Its all old hat now anyway - ex number years downline we will have followed Germany's lead, Whites will be shown as they are now in Germany - back on level with their coloured counterparts as they should be :)
  11. Greyhawk

Greyhawk New Member

Not high but it can and does happen. Genetics don't listen to the fact only 25% *should* be one colour :lol:

My youngest comes from a litter where all the pups (5) were a recessive colour - this was totally unexpected given this particular colour theoretically has a 25% chance of being expressed (the same chance as what Murf posted white has in boxers), but all pups turned out red.
  12. Moli

Moli New Member

Name:
    pat
    I phoned the person to enquire about the pups, and it turns out both parents are White, but.......have fantastic pedigrees:?
  13. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin
    Ok....what's a Flashy Boxer?!
  14. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    Has large white markings.
  15. catrinsparkles

Name:
    catrin
    Thank you. I looked boxer colours up after I asked. :) I'd never heard of sealed boxer before! Are they only in the states?
  16. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole
    Its just another name for reverse/verydark brindle I think :)
  17. catrinsparkles

Name:
    catrin
    Yep.....I'd never heard of reverse brinlde either. :blush: obviously I've seen them and just thought they were called dark or mahogany brindle. I've never seen one as black as in the picture I saw from the US.
  18. Gemini54

Gemini54 New Member

Name:
    jacquie
    Hi not sure about Boxers,dalmations are born white,but get there spots come a lot later,but evidently with the white they could be carrying the deaf gene,some litters of dalmations have nearly had half of there litter being deaf.In the bad old days breeders used to put down ones that tested as deaf, maybe that has helped the gene pool,as it seems that today its quite rare to see a fully grown dalmation being deaf,a friend of mine who bred Dalmations,decided on a liver spotted stud against her black,most of the puppies were liver,but the weakest was lemon she was small the breeder kept her as she did have various health issues,but it was very pretty Gemini54
  19. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    I had to go and look it up! I had a mental image of a dog that wears a garish collar and a lot of bling! :grin:
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    ...or like this?
    [​IMG]
  21. catrinsparkles

Name:
    catrin
    Hahahahahahahahaha!