Belgian Malinois - any breeders with litters due soon? General Chat

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by huskygal, Jan 16, 2013.

1. huskygal

huskygal New Member

Name:
    Sue

Belgian Malinois - any breeders with litters due soon?

I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction, I've been looking at adding another dog to my pack, been looking at the Belgian Malinois for quite a while now, i am looking for breeders that might have a litter due around June time, I'm looking for a companion but also looking into doing agility, I am currently owned by a Siberian Husky and northwest england would be preferable, thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Dobionekenobi

Dobionekenobi New Member

Name:
    Sarah
  4. huskygal

huskygal New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Thanks, will get right on it
  5. Wild storm

Wild storm New Member

Name:
    David
    UK Belgian Malinois rescue have a nice bunch of Malinois
  6. bijou

bijou New Member

Name:
    yvonne
    Hmmm...I've just look at that rescue site as I've never heard of Uk Malinois rescue and it appears as fishy as a week old herring -it offers any breed of dogs as a 'rescue' asking for 'donations' in US Dollars and links to a world wide so called 'rescue' site.

There are the only two official UK BSD rescues - here is the first

http://www.corsini.co.uk/belgian-rescue/dogs.htm

and here is the second

http://www.nbsdc.co.uk/rescue.htm

However if you are looking for ethical experienced breeders of Malinois I can recommend

http://www.belsharose.co.uk/

http://www.bonvivant-bsd.blogspot.co.uk/

and http://www.bonvivant-bsd.blogspot.co.uk/

all of whom breed sound, typical, versatile pups from health tested parents
  7. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
  8. bijou

bijou New Member

Name:
    yvonne
    oops you're right Smokey - that last link was supposed to be the Goldmali link not a duplicate of Bonvivant !- Marianne ( Goldmali ) is a highly recommended Malinois breeder too :grin:
  9. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hello Sue :) when searching for a puppy of any breed I would recommend looking up the Breed Association/Society on Google and contacting the secretary with a request for a list of breeders who have signed up to the breeders code of ethics.

Then if you telephone a few they will usually know which members have litters due :) .
  10. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
  11. huskygal

huskygal New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Thanks for helping, found a breeder who has a litter due begininng of March (Foxbriar Belgian Shepherd Dogs) read up a little about her and her dogs and they are just what im looking for.
  12. Sashatheboxer

Sashatheboxer New Member

Name:
    Barry
    Hello.

I know of someone who is very into Malinois and for some time I have watched the dogs with great interest.

I have come to realise despite being a fit active person myself they are not a dog for me. Simply put they are too much like hard work.
    The person who owns them (they live near to my home) is forever out with them, working them, occupying, stimulating their brain, even in the foulest of weathers. They never stop, they are on the go 24/7 it would seem and having chatted to their owner I have come to realise you have got to be one very dedicated person to have a Mali, because if you are not it is both unfair to the dog and yourself.
    Mali's from what I have seen are the kind of dog that if you give them an inch, they will take a mile. (I know this from watching others try to work the dog that this person owns, he takes the 'P' out of anyone who is not made of the right stuff.
    They have a high prey drive.
    A higher than average energy drive.
    They are not a dog that particularly takes to being simply a pet, they love to work, be it in Protection, Agility, or some other sphere. They just have to be doing something, not on odd occasions, but regularly.
    They are not necessarily good with other dogs.
    They can and do have health issues above and beyond HD, which granted the breeder you have chosen tests for.
    But can they tell you if there have been any incidences of cataracts within their lines?
    How about epilepsy, thyroid disease, progressive retinal atrophy (PRA) and pannus?
    These are all questions you should be asking about as these can affect what your dog will be able to do in the future.
    Is your Husky male or female?
    Is it neutered/spayed?
    Will you be keeping the Mali intact?

If something were to go wrong, that the mix between pup and older dog didnt work out, will the breeder take back the pup and rehome it?

On a lighter note, I would like to wish you all the best in your decisions for the future and hope you find the perfect pup to add to your family.
  13. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg New Member

Name:
    Lindsay
    There is a fair amount of silly things said about the Malinois - Maligators and so on :lol:

The Bonvivant Malis are gorgeous and some have been used as working dogs.

Then you can buy working bred dogs. If you do this you probably need a fair amount of skill. In fact if Foxbriar is who I think they are, I don't know why they are selling to the general public, because they didn't used to.... :017:

Maybe I'm thinking of someone else though. Hmm.

Goodluck.

Wys
    x
  14. JulieSS

JulieSS New Member

Name:
    JulieSS
    My impression of the Malinois is that it's not an easy going companion dog or pure pet dog, it's something you get when you have intentions of using it for something and training a lot.
    I would consider the Malinois easily to be a lot "more" than a border collie with intensity and urges.
  15. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    The Show/Pet bred Belgians are VASTLY different from the working bred ones just as are the WL GSD, Working BC, Working line CS/ESS or Labradors from the show/pet ones.
  16. bijou

bijou New Member

Name:
    yvonne
    A Malinois is not a separate breed but simply a variety of the Belgian Shepherd dog the ONLY difference between it and the other three varieties should be it's coat - all the other varieties make super all round active pets and it's only the so called 'working line' Malinois that has been deliberately bred for an exaggerated temperament that often makes it so unsuitable in a pet home.

My advice is to get a show/pet bred Malinois or one of the other varieties of BSD all of whom will turn their paw to any dog activity without being a liability !
  17. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Why are there no Mal's with the look of the working line but the temperament of a pet bred ..lol:016: :mrgreen:
  18. bijou

bijou New Member

Name:
    yvonne
    Why on earth would you want to change the way a Malinois should look ? :shock:

Foxbriar dogs are from show/pet lines so a good choice :grin: - I think you are thinking of Briarquest who no longer breed Malinois ;-)
  19. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg New Member

Name:
    Lindsay
    Oh yes I am, sorry! I did think the name wasn't quite right, it was the Foxy bit in it that had me confused! :lol:
  20. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    I know some extremely nice Briarquest dogs Hollandse Herders (Dutch Shepherds) BSD (Malinois) and of course cockers.

Shame Ian is not breeding the DS or BSD any more.