Belgian Malinois Vs German Shepherds Discussions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by pitboy, Feb 4, 2013.

1. pitboy

pitboy New Member

Name:
    sahnsahn

Belgian Malinois Vs German Shepherds

was up dogsey which breed do you think should be used more around the world including the U.S.A and the U.K for police work the germen shapards or the malinois........evary one commeant to let me no what u think and why
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Both have their place, both have their pros and cons, I am not sure it is a case of either/or?

Generally speaking the Malinois (BSD) is faster and more athletic than a GSD and has a longer working life. Perhaps the GSD may have the edge when it comes to nosework.
  4. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    I saw a programe on GSD's in American services. ( Police! )
    The handler said something like " The GSD may NOT be the best biter, he may NOT be the best runner, and he may NOT be the best tracker......BUT, " THERE'S NOT A DOG, IN THE WORLD, WHO CAN DO ALL THREE THING BETTER!!!"
    That'll do for me.
  5. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I'm sure I read recently that more and more police forces are reverting to using the GSD again because they feel the Malinois are not 'intimidating' enough.
  6. dixondog

dixondog New Member

Name:
    jo
    both seem to have their place although the usa seem to use more malinois than uk,the force i work for only use gsds cos weve not had to try any malinois yet
  7. Pohm

Pohm New Member

Name:
    summer
    i have owned both. repeatedly. I am a owner trainer. Not a professional. Doing IPO with my 4 dogs. (GSD Rottie Mali)
    my mali girl, has the best nose in any dog i have ever owned.
    So from a IPO home, where the dog must also be part of the family. Which is not an issue.
    Firstly, i think this is a non serious question, as its really individual dog/handler skills we are comparing. So always individual. But here's some non individual thoughts.

Have you heard the silly bark the mali has? Its a joke next to the big bass wall of sound coming out of my GSD's. So, from a bark as a deterrent point of view. Definitely the GSD has it.

When i play tug with my GSD, i ache all over the following day.
    My mali is 1/3 the weight, easier to play/trainwork with than the GSD. Mali has it.

The shedding. Ive always had stockman coated GSDs. Working line. KNPV. So im not shy of grooming. And man they shed. The mali, apparently does, but you cant see it for the GSD tumble weeds around here. The mali wins definately on this aspect.

Focus: consistency goes to the GSD. Intensity of that focus goes to the mali. And i rather have been spoilt working a 10yr old GSD, who pretty much knows what i am going to do, before i do. I like consistency.
    I do think the facial features of the mali are more menacing. somehow. They also show the whites of their eyes, adding to the effects. GSD's dont.

Where you need weight, then a GSD will win. Where you need agility and heat resistance, the mali will have it.