Wolfhound x bedlington - how would they turn out if sire was a Wolfhound? General Chat

Discussion in 'Irish Wolfhound' started by crookie, Apr 3, 2013.

1. crookie

crookie New Member

Name:
    bart

Wolfhound x bedlington - how would they turn out if sire was a Wolfhound?

anybody got any ideas how this would come out i would probably have the wolfhound as the sire
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: painfully!!!!!!!!!!
  4. Dobionekenobi

Dobionekenobi New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    There's no way of knowing what the results would be because you might get traits from either side in any form!!! That's just basic genetics and it wouldn't matter which breed was the sire, makes no difference.

However, on the off chance that size wise they would take after the wolfhound, i would say the bitch has to be the wolfhound.

More importantly though, why on earth would you cross the two? Both are fabulous dogs, there's absolutely no need to purposely cross them.
  5. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    Bedlingtons are often crossed with whippets or greyhounds to 'make' lurchers. Someone in the next village up to us used to have bedlingtons and breed them with whippets or greyhounds. I would imagine the idea is to get a large lurcher type dog. I would say the mother would have to be the wolfhound really as you could possibly end up with birth complications otherwise. I have heard of lots of cases of small males mating with large females, if it is the right time the female will get down to facilitate him. Would love to see a piccie of your dog.
  6. crookie

crookie New Member

Name:
    bart
    the idea is that when the beddys get crossed with the lurchers, they make a great looking dog but are very slight of frame and still quite small, so for something more robust maybe the wolfhound is the way to go. also how do you think both dogs came into existence cross breading is as old as dogs, and is the only reason we have the variety we have today so it is absolutely necessary to carry on the tradition.
  7. JamieWilson

JamieWilson New Member

Name:
    JamieWilson
    We live in an old mining area where lots of hunting goes on.
    The main dogs of choice are either Saluki x Greyhound or Beddlington x Whippets.

You get the Beddlingtons terrier hunting ability crossed with the athleticism and blistering pace of the whippet.

I myself don't like the hunting but the cross is a fantastic looking dog, beautiful.
  8. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    I'm not far from you at all JW!!! Just outside Farnworth in fact:lol:
  9. crookie

crookie New Member

Name:
    bart
    so put the hunting ability of both the beddy and the wolfhound and their individual charms and i think its a good combo should just look like a scaled up beddy whippet cross i would of thought
  10. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Its not necessary to carry on the tradition, dog breeding is NOT a tradition, dog breeding OR creating breeds is for a purpose, i.e to do a job, and I think, we have that covered now in any job by so many breeds.

Using a wolfhound on a beddlington, is NOT an tradition, its a travesty waiting to happen.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2013
  11. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    And there is the voice of an expert :shock: :shock:
  12. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Has to be a joke!! Right? "Crookie?" ;)
  13. JamieWilson

JamieWilson New Member

Name:
    JamieWilson
    Do you get many of the 'hunting' dogs in farnworth? We live at Gin Pit Village in Tyldesley, its on an old pit site and nearly every dog is a hunting dog!
  14. crookie

crookie New Member

Name:
    bart
    At no point did I profess to be an expert or feel the need to so vehemently force my opinion on others. Let me hazard a supposition that you are a meddling frustrated housewife living in a beige sea of middle classness go buy a cat!
  15. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    I live in an ex mining/mill village with several surrounding me, so a lot of these mixes around. There used to be a brickworks, bleach works and a couple of paper mills as well,, all now part of the Croal Irwell Valley Country Park. We still have one remaining working mill.
  16. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    :lol: typical response from a male with his ego hurt :rolleyes:

I know you are not expert, my point was, maybe you should research the outcome of such breeding.

1) breeding is not a tradition nor does it need carrying on by those who have no knowledge of what it entails.

2) Have you given thought to the bitch (beddlington) giving birth to such large puppies i!
  17. Florence

Florence New Member

Name:
    Florence
    I mostly agree with not doing this. But if you must, please don't sire a bedlington terrier bitch with a wolfhound. The chance the puppies are larger than the bitch can carry is too big and you might end up with a tragedy. You could end up loosing them all. And I'm sure you also know it's important to do the necessary health and character tests on the parents.
  18. JamieWilson

JamieWilson New Member

Name:
    JamieWilson
    Don't tar all us males with the same stick!
  19. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Would not dream of it ;-)
  20. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    Well now everyone has said what I was going to say.
    Please think of the bitch, having to carry these pups :-(

I really don't think there is any need for nastiness. People are only offering their opinions on what they feel about this cross.
  21. Bodhi

Bodhi New Member

Name:
    Dizzy
    Urgh...... Go find one in a rescue. I'm sure there's lots of similar dogs from other people playing at being experimental breeders.

Really makes me sad :(