Harness for a sight hound. Questions

Discussion in 'Hound Forum' started by catrinsparkles, Apr 16, 2013.

1. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin

Harness for a sight hound.

[​IMG]

Want to get a harness for this cheeky chappie. In general he walks so well on the lead that I have to keep checking he is still there.....but pulls a lot when he gets near another dog and I don't want to strain his little neck! It looks so fragile to me next to my huge Tonks' muscley neck!

So, sighthound people....which harness do you use?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Pookin

Pookin New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I've got a doxlock for my lurcher, it fits him nicely and it's easy as anything to get it on and off.
    I think the Julias k9 is a similar fit/design
  4. SneaksyWhippet

SneaksyWhippet New Member

Name:
    Gemma
  5. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    I agree with SneaksyWhippet, I used Dogs-games when I had Mo.
    Comfortable, well padded and a good fit.
  6. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Catrin :) my neighbour has two lovely Whippets, they do seem to have quite delicate skin and of course they don't have a very thick coat for protection.
    I would choose a fleecy harness like Fleecy Dogs or Dog Games link already posted above.
  7. Gemini54

Gemini54 New Member

Name:
    jacquie
    Hi When I hade my Afghan had amazing collars,

http://www.salukicanada.com/SCOC/Archives_files/Decorative Collars.pdf
    crystalgirl
  8. catrinsparkles

Name:
    catrin
    Thanks everyone. I'll have a browse through those. I've seen the dog games and perfect fit ones....time to do some shopping now I think!

That's a lovely collar crystal girl. Remus' was black with hot rod flames all over it....though it was suitable for a speedy black bull lurcher. :)
  9. Gemini54

Gemini54 New Member

Name:
    jacquie
    Hi you can just get the tassels which are lovely crystalgirl
  10. JamieWilson

JamieWilson New Member

Name:
    JamieWilson
    Only just seen this but the ruff wear harness' are amazing for sighthounds, pretty much escape proof if ever that urge to chase arrises. We have both of ours in them now. Can't recommend them enough.
  11. catrinsparkles

Name:
    catrin
    Thanks everyone, well we till haven't got a harness but he does have a very smart leather red fish tail collar which is padded on the inside.
  12. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    Am laughing because when I clicked on this thread I thought I was going to see a Sight Hound with a harness on!

Instead I saw a dawg swaddled in what looks like a lovely soft duvet! lol!
  13. catrinsparkles

Name:
    catrin
    Hehe..yes that's a dog swaddled in my duvet! He sleeps in his own bed in the corner of our bedroom at night. Then asks to get into bed in the morning when the children get it too. Before we got him the plan was for him to sleep downstairs with Tonks, but noisy separation anxiety put an end to that idea on the first night...he woke everyone in the house and our neighbours on both sides. :( our house is often busy at night with toddlers up and down a lot disturbing him so he now sleeps with us. I had also planned to gradually move him onto the landing but he has growled at one of my daughters when she startled him sleeping on the sofa so I don't want to subject him to being startled by being tripped over by a half asleep three year old in the middle of the night....we don't want any little accidents!
  14. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    It's an absolutely adorable and appealing photo of your dog.
  15. catrinsparkles

Name:
    catrin
    Oh and did I mention that just after this picture was taken he stuck his head back under the duvet.....and threw up in the bed!!
  16. MARKFLO78

MARKFLO78 New Member

Name:
    markflo
    I have a 16.5 inch tts whippet x beddi

best dog ever, I got a handmade whippet collar with soft lining and thick front, just gently check the dog with a gentle wrist flick and no weight behind it.
    I also have a massive lab who did need a harness but I would not really wanna see a lurcher on a harness, maybe a halti for a short time ?
    We go out with 3 or 4 whippet x or grey collix and u need them on a lead really.
  17. catrinsparkles

Name:
    catrin
    We have a lovely padded collar now. He doesn't pull usually, he walks so well tha I have to keep checking he is on the end of the lead still. He only pulls if he wants to say hello to another dog, but we've been working on that since I posted originally and he is much quicker and giving me attention now.
  18. MARKFLO78

MARKFLO78 New Member

Name:
    markflo
    Will be fine, you could cheat and keep some tiny cubes of cheese in your pocket, ad a reward when you do check him lol.
    they look great in a Propper collar
  19. catrinsparkles

Name:
    catrin
    Hehe, that's not cheating! That's training! I'm always armed with treats and a clicker. :)
  20. David Hernandez

David Hernandez New Member

Name:
    David Hernandez
    Azz likes this.
  21. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil