Calling Lurcher People! Discussions

Discussion in 'Lurcher Forum' started by BlueJay, Jul 22, 2013.

1. BlueJay

BlueJay Member

Name:
    Erin

Calling Lurcher People!

Can you share some info on your lurchers, please?

Age, sex, weight and how much of which breeds involved (if you know)
    Pictures are always lovely too!

Partly so I can get a general idea of how much Frodo will weigh when he grows up, but mostly as I'm nosey and like looking at other peoples doggies :lol:

Thank you! :mrgreen:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin
    Well you know my one. Remus about 8 months, I think four stone now (or just over). Bull lurcher so some bull breed (probably Staffie but probably a few generations ago), greyhound and apparently some collie and Saluki! I can't see saluki...sometimes I think I can see collie but only because he has very pale eyes.
  4. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Sadly I lost my Gertie last year when she was 16.

She was a proper working lurcher before we got her, abandoned by some poachers when they were chased off. She was big - about 30kg from what I can remember, and looked very deerhound like, so perhaps that was part of her breeding.

Fantastic temperament - bone idle at home, very very fast (obviously!) outdoors. Got on really well with my little terrier, but she and the spaniel totally ignored each other. Strange.
  5. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Can't share a lot :)
    My niece Emma has a lurcher called 'Frisby' :lol: (collie x greyhound we think ) he is a delightful dog and was easy to train . He looks a bit like Frodo and is adored by Emma's three sons.
  6. Fernsmum

Fernsmum New Member

Name:
    Ali
    Lost my lurcher at the age of 15 . She was a superb dog in every way . Having done some research I would say she was a bearded collie x greyhound / whippet . I got her from Glasgow dog and cat home when she was about 18 months . She had clearly never lived in a house before and was startled by normal household sounds . She was not housetrained and was afraid of the stairs . She was a very quick learner and settled in quickly and lived a long and happy life as well as being very healthy . She did not have such a strong hunting instinct as my whippets and you could call her off chasing something . She never showed any aggression to people or dogs in her life . I would recommend lurchers to anyone thinking of getting one .
    She was called Lizzie lurcher and was fawn and white and rough haired . She was about the size of a large whippet , she was lovely .
  7. Jessiesdad

Jessiesdad New Member

Name:
    alastair
    Both my girls are Lurchers and almost 4 years old. They do look very different though.
    Jess is much more Lurchery looking than Lexi.
    We have no idea what mix Jess is because she was an abandoned girl. She probably has some Greyhound and maybe a bit of Saluki in her, so I'm told but no idea really. She weighs around 28kg and stands about 27 inches to the shoulder. She's a fairly quiet girl and much more needy than Lexi, but that's ok because she has a good life now and I know she will never run off, brilliant recall 99% of the time. She's a tri-colour, black, white and tan. She's a keen runner with other dogs, but not fast at all, probably why she was dumped.
    Lexi's Mum was a Greyhound and Staffie cross and her Dad was the naughty farm Collie where she lived who got to her in her first season before they could get her spayed. She is shorter than Jess and not so tall, about 25 inches and weighs around 25kg. Wheaten and white in colour and you can see the Staffy in her face, her head is much much bigger than Jess's. She is a very independent and confident girl, loves to go off exploring but constantly checks that I am around. She's very sociable with dogs and humans and this has helped Jess to calm down a lot, since she get very excited at meeting other dogs. Lexi's recall is good but much more in her own time than Jess's. She is also very very quick off the mark and can run for ages.
    They are both brilliant girls and for me Lurchers are simply the best most loving dogs ever. This is after I wanted a Springer both times.
    Here are some photos of my two beautiful girls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. BlueJay

BlueJay Member

Name:
    Erin
    Thanks all :D
    Mr Baggins is just over 6kg at 10 weeks so a way to go yet lol

Jessiesdad, your girls are just stunners!! :007:
  9. floridley

floridley New Member

Name:
    Kathryn
    Stryder is 2 years and 3 months old. He weighs 17.6kg and is 24 inches to the shoulder. He is quite thin at the moment as it is mid flyball season and he had a horrendous tummy upset a few weeks ago that knocked him for 6. Usually he weighs about 19.8kgs. His dad was a beardie cross greyhound bought from Hancocks originally and his mum was a greyhound whippet cross
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Griffin is 1 year 2 months old. He is 22 inches to the shoulder and 15.4kgs (he has a heart problem so is currently under his ideal weight and unlikely to improve). He is a saluki/collie/greyhound/whippet cross
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Gorgeous dogs in this thread!

I have two hounds. Grew up with a mix of dogs, including a Deerhound and Whippet, and now have Honey (Saluki X Grey) and Diesel (Grey cross GSD). Both of mine are more Grey then the other breeds though. They've both even slipped past people in Greyhound rescue as Greyhounds in a GBGW before I said that they were crosses lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    This thread is making me want another lurcher!
  12. Cath

Cath New Member

Name:
    Cacoll
    This thread is making me want loads of dogs!
  13. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    This is my Billy who is now 8 years old, he is 17kg and is a Staff x Whippet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin
    He's very lovely!
  15. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    I can definitely assist you here. Frodo will become huge. I mean REALLY huge. This will leave no room for little blackface so you might as well send him over to me now!
  16. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    Oh Kitkat that's a lovely looking dog you have there. And a not too bad looking young man too!
  17. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Hehe thank you :) He is an odd mix really and sometimes I look at him and think to myself that he is really strange. I suppose Dan isnt too bad either, lmao. I always have to tell him to shave though and he needed a bit of a hair cut in the picture :lol:
  18. BlueJay

BlueJay Member

Name:
    Erin
    I think I need about 47 lurchers now. Sooo pretty :mrgreen:

This does seem to be the only logical solution!
    Be warned though, he can't get up on the furniture by himself so if you ignore him, he'll paw you until you pick him up
    Be sure you can cope with his cuddle requirements - wouldnt want him being passed around :lol:
  19. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    My Tyler.....

[​IMG]

Lab/Whippet/Saluki. Weight last time he was weighed was around 21/22kg's and he's medium sized. No larger than a Lab, but much narrower and smaller built.

I can't really see any evidence of Saluki in him, although he does have very similar traits to that of the breed, so perhaps he inherited more temperament than looks of the Saluki.

He's a fantastic dog and I love him to bits!