Cockapoo breeders Questions

Discussion in 'Crossbreeds Forum' started by Betty444, Sep 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mattie

Mattie New Member

Name:
    Margaret
    Dog breeds in the past have been crosses with different breeds to get a dog suitable to do a job. Even dogs bred to be a lap dog has been bred to do a job. Labradoodles were ariginally bred to do a job but some of the breeds now being bred like cockapoos are bred for money.

I prefere cross breeds but I will never line the pockets of a breeder breeding for money.

I prefer a forum were the members are honest, say things as they are than those that sugar everything, I have seen people make the wrong desision because of sugar coating post, the looser was the dog.

This is what love about this forum, members are honest and don't sugar coat the truth
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. TazJas

TazJas New Member

Name:
    Linda
    I agree Janet, glad I am not the only one.
    On the other forum, she received helpful replies, and put links up herself, really looks like she is doing her homework, and being very sensible, not rushing in and buying the first pup she sees.
    Sometimes threads are like witch hunts :(
  4. TazJas

TazJas New Member

Name:
    Linda
    Leaves a bit of a sour taste though sometimes ;)
  5. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    I agree people should be honest, but perhaps they should be honest in a friendly way!

One post seemed to imply that the OP thought cockapoos were a breed and didn't know they were a cross, which seemed to me to come across as rather insulting.

I'm glad she had a friendlier response from another forum, and hope she gets the puppy she wants.
  6. TazJas

TazJas New Member

Name:
    Linda
    I agree. the old joke springs to mind on that response;
    '' my friends tell me I am too condescending, that means I talk down to people'' ;)
  7. Mattie

Mattie New Member

Name:
    Margaret
    One of the biggest problems of the Internet is that posts are often read differently to what is meant, even people asking advice post can be read differently to what is meant. Trying to give information and be honest in what is said is even more difficult.

As to being condensing, kettle and pot comes to mind.
  8. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Trouble with folk is when they ask questions they only want the answers that suit....

If said poster wants a crossbreed then no one is going to stop her buying one, the fact some of the replies point out the pitfalls of many of the breeders who breed designer dogs does not mean the forum is breedist OR condescending ..... It's called giving the whole picture.

My sister has the most adorable cockerpoo, they wanted one , they bought one, the fact the pup needed weeks of antibiotics due to it coming home with KC ...and a disinterested response from the breeder... Speaks volumes about the type of breeder they were, and sadly they are not uncommon in the designer breeder....no self respecting breeder of pure bred dogs would allow their dogs to add to this market.

Now if pointing this out to posters who come here looking for breeders of cross breeds makes us in some people's eyes less than friendly then I don't realy understand their aurument, other than wonder if there is an agenda to be aired:017:

Just another point to note....even crossbreeds can have pedigrees. ( parentage). It's not about the names behind the dogs, it's about what's behind the names that counts.
  9. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    Yes a pedigree is a dogs lineages, ie. parentage and ancestors, doesn't mean they are KC reg at all, although of course the term 'pedigree dog' is assumed to be one of a breed recognised and registered with the KC.
    As a breeder of what people sometimes call a 'designer dog' although to be honest these dogs were being bred in the early 1980's onwards, I have seen 'pedigrees' of these dogs by the way that have come from the lady (now deceased) who first began them. So I don't consider the breed to be a 'designer' dog per se, although they are an almagamation of 3 breeds in the main, although again there is some evidence there were more breeds in the making of the Utonagan than are generally assumed. However, nowadays, we are using these 3 main breeds to widen our very small gene pool.
    Any dogs used for this MUST be health tested, i.e. hips/elbows/eyes/VWD/DM and have traceable parentage.
    We have very strict guidelines in our breeding practices, in fact the KC is way way behind us in that respect.
    Someone said to me in a very condescending way, they believed the KC were talking about recognising crossbreeds, my retort was that I would never be interested until the KC got its own house in order with the breeds they DO recognise and ensured that these breeders acted properly and responsibly in the first place. At the moment the KC don't seem to be very tight on all dogs that are bred from having any health tests at all, you can please yourself, although if you do test, then you become an accredited breeder. I understand from a friend of mine who is herself an accredited KC breeder that it is very very easy to pull the wool over their eyes when it comes to the checks that are necessary, her words not mine, in fact the language was quite a lot more colourful!!!!
    So if this lady wants a cockerpoo, and she finds a breeder of cockerpoos who ensures that the parents have all relevant health tests and are clear, and that the resulting puppies have any health tests necessary before leaving the breeder, then she is more than likely in a better position than someone buying either a cocker or a poodle from some breeders who will certainly sell them a KC reg puppy, but whether that puppy will have any unrecognised and untested health problems will remain to be seen.
  10. Gemini54

Gemini54 New Member

Name:
    jacquie
    Hi.I understand but if the OP was asking for breeders,not advice perse, and I for one thought that was what she was asking,finding a breeder who can be trusted is hard enough,but how do you decide if they are genuine if you answer a newspaper and the litter is in someones home,its a bit of a tall order to answer such a request Gemini54
  11. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    Not if she asks questions, and the right type of questions.
    Not if she asks to see the parents pedigrees and KC reg documents. Not if she asks to see evidence of health tests
    If they have none of these, then walk away before even going to see the puppies.
  12. Hottie

Hottie New Member

Name:
    Tess
    Having read the posts the other forum, I do wonder about the motives of the OP. She's looking for a Cockapoo Breeder in Devon and yet when I google it there are a few who might fit the bill. I look on Puppy directories and there are home breeders listed who appear to carry out the required health tests.
    Instead she posts here and on other forums, complaining about a cockapoo breeders and a cockapoo club. There are other cockapoo clubs who would be a good source of information and so I wonder why she hasn't posted there. Could it be that a disgruntled breeder is trying to smear other breeders?
  13. Julie

Julie New Member

Name:
    Julie
    That's quite an accusation especially as the OP has not named any breeders in her post just expressed her confusion at advice from other sources. When we looked for Betty we found finding a breeder a nightmare and I am sure many here would say she didn't come from a good breeder but trying to find a good breeder was so confusing, we in the end went with our guts and a lady who seemed to love her dogs very much, had dogs who were friendly and happy and thought if Betty was half as nice would suit us.
  14. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    My last four dogs were all rescues, so before getting Pepe I hadn't had to look for a breeder for very many years. I agree with Julie it was a nightmare and I spent hours investigating. So I can completely understand the confusion of the OP and her efforts to find the right breeder.

I can't see there would be much to gain from a cockatoo breeder trying to smear others - they're not show dogs, they're only bred as pets and from the number I see around here I imagine sell quite readily anyway.

I am feeling more and more sorry for this poor woman who only wants a puppy!
  15. Julie

Julie New Member

Name:
    Julie
    Indeed, and some times we don't have years to spend looking for the right dog, we had to find one quickly as Mollie was getting into such a state without Duncan, she was grieving heavily so a companion was needed quite soon.
  16. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Poor Mollie - that must have been heartbreaking to watch. I've never experienced a dog grieving badly. Witty was certainly subdued for a couple of days when Gertie the lurcher died - they were very close, poor Bogie the spaniel was always a bit of an outsider - but he got back to normal quite quickly. And luckily for Bogie, Pepe is everyone's friend!
  17. Julie

Julie New Member

Name:
    Julie
    We had always had three dogs at a time previously so it was new to us too, we hadn't realised just how down she would get or how much weight she could lose in such a short time !

But back to OP I do hope she comes back we seem to be scaring people off when they just ask a question.
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    And sometimes even "proper" breeders get it wrong. One couple on the waiting list for one of my as yet unborn puppies ticked all the boxes. And when they and their young daughter came to see the pup I thought would be right for them after the litter was born and about four weeks old, I still thought they would be perfect.

So when the pup was old enough and had had his first vaccinations etc, they came to collect him and like many of the people who had my pups we kept in contact.

About a year later I had to drive to Gatwick to collect Mother from one of the many holidays she took after my father died, and as she was due in very early in the morning I went to Brighton for the day and then went to stay with this couple for the evening and night [their offer] so I could leave very early to get to Gatwick in time.

And discovered to my horror that in spite of them saying no, they did not have another dog, and the pup would be their first, they actually had a very large, and [to me] very frightening Dobe, who was never allowed to get near the Griff. Had I known that they had him they would never had gotten past the initial hurdle of questions.

There were others who ticked all the boxes but when they turned up they were written off the list. Why? Because I was a responsible breeder and was extremely fussy as to where and to whom my pups went.

Money had nothing to do with it - I lost far more than I got from selling the KC registered pups with 5 generation pedigrees.

Responsible breeders are not in it for the money - they breed to keep the breed standard as it should be and to make sure that as far as possible they only end up with 100% healthy puppies.
  19. Julie

Julie New Member

Name:
    Julie
    That's interesting Malka, I often wondered about telling lies to get a pup but being honest we couldn't bring ourselves to do it. We were very open with the breeder we got Betty from she met Mollie and we had pictures of Mollie with our late Rosie Chihuahua riding and sleeping on her back so they knew Mollie would be good with Betty.
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Julie - so many things can change between the initial waiting list and where the puppies eventually go. One elderly lady [quite possibly not as old as I am now but then she was elderly compared with my then age] had reserved one of my little Z's first litter - two little boys. I had not met her but we had had long telephone conversations and I knew exactly which pup would be right for her and for her lifestyle, without even seeing her or her seeing the puppies.

She lived the other side of London to me - did not have a car - so she got a bus to the nearest mainline station, a train into London, a tube train to Edgware, and a bus from there to the nearest bus stop to where I lived.

She picked up the pup I had chosen for her and he promptly fell asleep on her lap. The other one decided to empty her bag which she left on the floor next to the chair she was sitting one, and scattered the contents all over the floor.

Guess which puppy she went home with!
  21. Julie

Julie New Member

Name:
    Julie
    Lol we chose the naughtiest pup when we chose Betty and she is living up to her reputation :razz:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.