Tail docking Questions

Discussion in 'Bracco Italiano' started by KRIEGERTHORN, Jul 31, 2014.

1. KRIEGERTHORN

KRIEGERTHORN New Member

Name:
    GEORGE

Tail docking

hi everyone ,

my bracco had a full tail, upto 3 months ago when he banged it on a work top corner, and brock it clean in half, having to be rushed to the vets a 8 pm to have his tail amputated he was 2 yrs old when this happend not a puppy , has any one else had this sort of trouble, i'll always have my dogs docked in future
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Some dogs can damage their tales sometimes George, though I think it is fairly uncommon and not a reason to dock as a precaution (unless your dog is an actual working dog).

Have you got photos of you dog? I am a fan of Bracco Italianos :D
  4. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    You can not have a puppy docked in the UK unless the breeder has proof that the dog will be used as a working dog in its new home. Though I still like to see docks on some breeds and I will admit that I do love ear crops on some of the bully dogs.

I want pictures too, Braccos are one of the breeds I have looked at when I was trying to find a suitable breed
  5. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    I trapped my dogs tail in car door as a pup but its still on. The vet has talked about removing 6 inches of it recently due to her keep popping the tip with her excessive tail wagging. Its murder as once it pops its pops really easy over and over and sprays blood everywhere. She wore a home made tail guard for a while made from a tennis ball till it healed. Hopefully she wont pop it again as i dont want any of it off. You will have a hard job getting a dog docked in the uk as the breeders have to have it done as its suppost to be done by 3 days old (or atleast thats how it is at my vets) the breeder must also have a gun licence and be a working breed of dog.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I used to breed Griffons a long time before the no-docking law came in. And my pups were docked at ~3-4 days old.

Would I do it now? No way. Although my pups squealed just while they were being held still, not because of pain. And settled instantly they were put down.

Tails are for a reason. I watch Pereg when she sees someone go past or come down the path. Depending on the angle of her tail, I know she is telling me friend or foe or just get away from me.

Dog language yes, but also when understood, they are telling us humans what they think.