So I have a bit of a problem General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Malka, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

So I have a bit of a problem

Three new pairs of spectacle frames [cheapo but gorguss from China] arrived today. I already have one pair of the same, same colour as one of the new ones, which Amit, my optician, made computer [ie mid distance] lenses for, and at that time, just before Rosh Hashana, our New Year, he was able to get ultra-light bifocal lenses at a very special price. And he actually gave me a glorious pair of designer frames with my prescription half and half bifocal lenses as a New Year present although I am not sure why... I mean why? On second thoughts, best not ask.

So, I already had one pair of these frames from China so we knew the size was perfect, so I paid for two new pairs of lenses to be fitted into some new frames - same design but different colours, which I then bought from China.

Anyhow, that is beside the point, although not really as I need very large size frames and modern frames here are teeny weeny narrow ones which are bdooly useless for me.

Orders from China taking anything up to two months to arrive - not that I am blaming China Mail as I do not have to pay postage for anything I buy from that particular website even though everything is sent by registered mail with tracking numbers etc etc etc, and a couple of hours ago mail arrived and it included the three pairs of frames. All the same but different colours. One pair is the same colouring as my computer specs and I definitely want bifocal lenses in that pair.

Which leaves me with the two other pairs and only one set of lenses.

Hmmmmmm.

So which pair do I choose?

I keep deciding on one pair... and two minutes later change my mind...

...and Amit will be turning up at around 1pm tomorrow to take the two pairs I have decided on to fit the lenses he has already had made into them...

...and I do not know which to choose. o_O
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Clearly you need to use your feminine charms and get him to make more lenses so you can keep all the frames.
  4. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    CaroleC and Janet like this.
    Or you could always wear the one without any lenses on the days when you don't want to see anyone! :115:
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    OK Malka - start again.

I - me - Malka - need large framed spectacles. Because I do. Especially my bifocals as they are the half and half type and when on my face my eyes have to be dead centre in to top, ie distance part.

OK, so they are not exactly half and half, as the top, ie distance part, is larger then the bottom, ie reading part.

But they are not bifocals wivva an ickle teensy weensy reading bit at de bottom.

I cannot post a photo of the frames but might be able to post a link to them...

...angona minnim while I pull it up...

...no can do wivvout it showing all my details - trying to get a piccie...

[​IMG]
    OK - that is the frame but not the colours I have. The frame is very thin plastic, not heavy as it looks, has either a gold or silver coloured metal bridge, soft silicone nosepads, metal sides, and is just the lightest weight that I have ever had even though it really is a big frame.

Definitely not modern but who cares?

Especially not at $6.55 for each frame! :043:
  6. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Put both pairs in bag close your eyes & pick one pair out bag, that way you won't have to choose
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    This is the colour I already have for my computer specs and will have bifocals fitted in the new pair of frames. They call the colour "shivering" for some unknown reason.

[​IMG]
  8. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    what colours are the 2 your trying to choose between? that may help us choose
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I cannot pull them up Katy. One pair is very dark green on top but clear lower

[​IMG]

the other is red - I mean the whole frame is red. Dark red and not garish, and it is only the front of the frames that is plastic. The arms are metal.

They are just THE most perfect size and shape for my face and so bdooly comfortable.

The problem is not only have I got to chose which second pair will have my bifocal lenses in, which Amit already had and which I have already paid for, but now the more I look at that frame on Ali Express the more I am drawn to the tortoiseshell colour as well!

Maybe I had better explain. Just as there is Amazon and eBay, most Israelis who buy things online know about DX [DealExtreme] and AliExpress!
  10. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    if i had to choose between red and green it would be red all the way. Go red malka
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Yaaay Katy - you woz right! :D - Amit turned up at 1pm, checked the frames, took measurements as to where the bifocal lenses will have to be cut to be fitted...

...and he chose the dark red pair for me! Said the colour suited me better as I tend to wear very dark clothes and should have a bit of bright and light - so he took the frames - already had the lenses which I had already paid for and which he had waiting for the frames to turn up from China...

Why oh why are modern frames so small? Narrow frames which are totally useless for me and for many others like me?

I am, obviously, keeping the other pair of frames as the lenses can be swapped if something happens to any of the others. And when he brings back the newly glazed frames he wants to have a look at what I can get so maybe we can both earn a bit. Not that I want anything but he would like to be able to get some inexpensive frames as he has lots of customers who cannot afford the regular prices here.

For me it is comfort and the correct shape/size for my face. And fashion can go take a running jump! :D
  12. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    i know what you mean malka. i want stylish specs but they dont fit my face right or something, so i can see the top of the frame in my eye line and it drives me nuts. lucky for me ive only just started to need glasses so i just dont ware them and will worry about it when i need them more.
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @katygeorge - that is the worst thing ever, seeing the top/bottom/sides of the frame when you should just be seeing through the lens. Or, seeing over/under/at the side of the frame because then your peripheral vision messes up what you are supposed to be looking at.

My spectacles are a part of me - and fashion or not the frames must fit so that I see through the lenses as I should do. In the case of my mid-distance computer [and food prep] specs that must mean that I can see what I am doing without having to keep moving my head.

My distance only, extra tinted for taking Pereg out, also have to be exactly that.

And my bifocals? The centre of my eye has to be in the centre of the top, ie distance part of the lens, with the reading part being under my bottom lash line. That is what Amit had to measure for, as he already has on his computer all other measurements such as exact distance between my pupils etc.

And when you get to my age, comfort is far more important than fashion! :D
  14. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I am the opposite to you Malka I can't wear large lens glasses, they don't suit me & they make my face look to small, I have 8 pairs of small lens glasses which are varifocals & I have 4 pairs of computer glasses that are single lens (I get free nhs glasses)

Like my computer ones but mine are pink front not purple
    Ronit-Furst-2705-19-42-26-angle__02276_zoom.jpg

My varifocals glasses colours are blue, gold, silver, red,
    559-11.jpg
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    6JRT's likes this.
    I cannot wear varifocals Tina because of my stupid eyes, and have to have large frames with soft silicone nosepads for sight not just for how they look.

Although to be honest look really is important because I have to wear them all the time.

I mean who would want to wear the same clothes day after day after day?

That is me with my specs.

I am still not sure about the red frames though! :D
  16. manydogz

manydogz Member

Name:
    manydogz (Debra)
    I usually get plain black square frames. Not real big and not too small. Sometimes another dark color. I've been wearing tri-focals for many years. They work the best for me. No tint and I can't stand the ones that have no lines for the tri-focal part. I think it's called progressive lenses. All I see out of them is a blur.
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    OK - so Amit brought the newly glazed red pair of bifocals back last week and they look so much better than I thought they would, but something - do not ask what because I have no idea - happened to glazing the "Shivering" colour frames so I did not get them until yesterday.

And I am now so spoiled for choice as I have specs with colours to either blend or contrast with whatever I wear - and although the frames, therefore lenses, are so big, they are so lightweight that I am not aware of wearing them. Amit has found a new lens provider who makes large lenses very lightweight - I never realised before how actually heavy my spectacles used to be.

@6JRT's - I have not yet caught up with you Tina but I now have six pairs of bifocals and three pairs of mid-distance computer/food prep specs - oh and my reading only ones.

Umm - forgot the two pairs of distance only sunglasses :oops: Well they are not solid dark but graduated from the top. Actually so are my bifocals but only lightly tinted from the top.

Talk about spoiled for choice! :D

Gonna cost me a fortune when I need a new prescription though! :eek: :043:
  18. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    @Malka I have gone full week without "cooking" my glasses or hearing aids, but did cook me garden shed key :oops: the very nice man at Asda as made me new key to fit lock (think I am keeping him in business) & has fitted a big heavy brass keyring to it (so I can see key before cooking it)
    Going back to glasses I got to go have a 3D scan done on my eyes on Monday as I have lost my left side field vision, I sat at opticians with eye patch on right eye buzzer in hand waiting for the field test to begin only to be told that the test was over (I never saw one single dot) plus the pressure test came out at 48 (should be less then 24 I think or around that number) so it looks like I be having more glasses soon.
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Tina - I have said this before and will no doubt say it again [probably many times] but you really crack me up! :043:
  20. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Good Luck with that 3D test Tina. I hope the problem can soon be corrected.
  21. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    What exactly is a 3D scan Tina? Whatever it is I hope it is not painful and that the results are good. Everything crossed for you that it will be OK (((hugs)))