Question for intrepid travellers! General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Janet, May 14, 2015.

1. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Azz, 6JRT's and CaroleC like this.

Question for intrepid travellers!

I am so unadventurous that I haven't even got a passport - the last time I went abroad was in the days when you could get a yearly visitor's passport from the Post Office.

My son has just started doing a bit of travelling - so far only to Europe via the ferry, so has never flown and we have no experience of how airlines operate. He has just booked a ticket online with Thai Airways, and has received email confirmation. It's talking about an electronic ticket though - what exactly is that? We assumed it was something he could print out, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Any advice about what it is he has to take to the airport with him?

It would be much easier if he stuck to Skegness!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Azz and Janet like this.
    Electronic ticketing is the time-saving, ticketless way to travel!
    In the past you would have received a paper ticket that you would have had to take great care of. With an e-ticket you will have an email confirmation of your booking which will contain your eticket number. it's not necessary to take a copy of this with you as the eticket is stored electronically on your airline booking you can print it out for your records and if you lose it, you simply go on-line and print another one.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Janet and 6JRT's like this.
    I am so pleased to read that Janet. I thought I was the only person left who had never had a passport - or been on a plane, and nearly all our holiday photo's have at least one dog on them!
  5. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    6JRT's likes this.
    Thanks Tina. Still seems strange not having something to hold in your hand!
  6. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Its supposedly to be the greener way of traveling no paper ticket means no trees felled.
  7. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Good point - hadn't thought of that.
  8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed New Member

Name:
    tumbleweed
    Janet likes this.
    We always take a copy of the e-ticket to the airport check in as proof of having made the purchase. Also it is quicker and easier just to show them against giving your details.

The first time I got on a plane I said to the stewardess "we are sure a long way up, those people down there look like ants"
    She replied " They are ants, we have not taken off yet"

So do a print out-take the passport- weigh luggage so within limits allowed- get there very early, traffic can be heavy when in a rush and allow car parking time as well.
    Last edited: May 16, 2015
  9. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    If he gets stuck there are always staff around to help. When he goes to the airport (about 3 hours before boarding time) he'll want to head to the desk of airline he is flying with. If he tells them this is his first time flying they should tell him where to go next etc :)

You should go with him Janet :lol:

Hope he has a great time.