Feeding a Raw Diet Discussions

Discussion in 'Irish Wolfhound' started by TarraM, Aug 25, 2015.

1. TarraM

TarraM New Member

Name:
    Tarra Melanson
    Azz likes this.

Feeding a Raw Diet

I have a 13 week old Wolfie that I am starting on a raw diet. Looking for someone who has a lot of experience with Raw specific to wolfhounds to help me with some questions.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Wolfhounds are not exactly common and usually raw feeding follows the same guidelines whatever breed the dog is. I raw feed as do others on here with an assortment of breeds. The Dobermanns and the Pugs were fed the same adjusted for weight and size. Maybe post your specific query and we'll see if we can help.
  4. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    As above - I doubt you'll get much feedback on Raw feeding specific to Wolfhounds however you'll get advice on raw feeds in general. I'll pop back to this thread however It's worth remembering you need to keep an eye on protein levels with your Wolfie.
  5. TarraM

TarraM New Member

Name:
    Tarra Melanson

Yes...That's another reason why I like Raw. Rabbit for example has only 12.7% fat and 18% protein which is reasonable.
  6. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Let me know what you decide and how it goes. My Wolfhound is almost 12 weeks old and I'm thinking about diet transition.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    May I ask why the amount of protein is a problem? I do not have a Wolfhound, I have a shrimp, but like Pereg before her, one of her favourite meats is ox lung - but that has 25% fat and 75% protein [as well as lots of vitamins and minerals] but it sounds like it would be useless for you.

I understand a lot about raw feeding, thanks to Joanne [Tarimoor] but just basic raw feeding. Not raw for specific breeds. And I would like to learn more regarding raw for specific breeds - and why.
  8. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    I think you'd only need to think about tailoring a raw diet to breeds that are prone to a particular dietary related illness, such as dalmations and kidney problems. Other than that, it's not an age or breed specific diet, you just feed a good quality of meat, bones, offal etc.
  9. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    I follow the prey model diet. I don't know about Wolfhounds specifically but it has worked fine for my large breeds.