Breeding my GSP Discussions

Discussion in 'German Shorthaired Pointer' started by Katelyn Dolezalik, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Katelyn Dolezalik

Katelyn Dolezalik New Member

Name:
    Katelyn

Breeding my GSP

Im looking to breed my 1 year old German short haired pointer and just need tips on where to start and how to advertise him to breed. He has an extensive pure bred blood line dating back to the 80s, is registered with the AKC, and has extensive hunting skills taught by a well known trainer. On top of it all he is the sweetest dog with the best personality, excellent with children, and the best cuddle buddy around. If someone could point me in a good direction to go to start breeding him I would greatly appreciate it!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Azz and CaroleC like this.
    Need to wait until at least 2yrs old. Go to his breeder / trainer for more info on breeding him, where to go, writing a good contract, making sure bitch owner is reputable and everything is in order (otherwise it could be very hectic). Also where ever you hunt / trial at in time people will typically become interested in breeding to a good male. As a novice you might not have your foot in the door yet, but if you have a superior example of the breed you won't have to worry about it. Others will become interested in breeding their females to him.
  4. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    I would contact the breeder of your boy, and ask them to mentor you through the breeding process. Standing a dog at stud is not as easy as many imagine it to be, you need to understand the physiology of both the bitch and dog, and be prepared to get very hands on when necessary, mostly to assist but also to prevent injury to either, sometimes it isn't a very *happy* process, particularly once they've tied and are stuck together. You also have to understand pedigrees, and be able to tell whether an enquiring bitch owner has a good match for your boy, be prepared to turn people away if you want a good reputation. Also look at the health tests for the breed (if there are any), the US has different schemes to the UK, again, the breeder of your dog will be able to advise.
  5. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    The first thing you need to do is speak to your breeder, did the breeder endorse his papers, if so you will not be able to register his pups, which in turn will cut your pick of females to use him on.
    Secondly if they give you their blessing, you will need to get his hips/elbows scored, and and other genetic testing recommended for this breed, he is 12 mths old now so old enough for scoring.

Once all the above boxes have been ticked then you have to find a bitch to use him on, this will not be as easy as you think, because reputable breeders will want proven dogs (this means show /working results) , other wise if you just advertise him in the paper or online, you may get the worse type of response.

Then you have to consider his temperament, by the sounds of it he is a happy sociable dog , you take a risk when you start putting them out to stud that his temperament will change and you may end you with a dog that gets arsey with other males ,scent marks at home, and a general upperty temperament specially if you continue to use him, all that may never happen, he may stay the same, but you wont know that till after you use him.

If you are willing to take the risk and all the other boxers get ticked , then it will be down to you to find a bitch...............it is not the usual way, the bitch owner looks for a stud.
  6. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    kline and Azz like this.
    Also don't forget to screen for STDs, ect
  7. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz