Really scared Rescue

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by reypuppy, Apr 15, 2016.

1. reypuppy

reypuppy New Member

Name:
    Rey

Really scared

Hello,

Today I adopted a 2 year old Female Jack Russell that came from a puppy mil.

She is so so so scared of everything and so scared of me. She doesnt want to eat or drink. She barely moves and when I approach her she runs away.

I understand she needs time and Im willing to work with her as much as needed. Poor doggie didnt have anyone to love her ever.. My question is, any tips on how to proceed? should I even try to take her outside in the first few days? should i try to pet her or give her space?

Will she ever be ok going outside and walking etc? I just dont have much experience with rescued dogs.

Some feedback from anyone that has experienced something like this would be nice.

Thank you!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    reypuppy and CaroleC like this.
    Hi & welcome I have 6 JRT's (mum dad & their 4 hooligans) just give her a couple of days to get use to your home, then gently sit on floor (or chair/sofa) near her but don't block her escape route, just talk calmly to her (don't touch her or stare at her) if she stays put offer her some cheese/spam/egg/chicken, put food close to her so she doesn't have to move, all the while talking softly to her, if she takes the food then repeat moving the food a little towards you but not so much that she as to move, (might take 2-5 weeks to gain her trust) once you have gained her trust walk on lead in garden only (might take 2-3 days of just putting lead on her just to get use to it) personally I would take her on walkies to the park or round the block until she's totally trust you (you will know when that is) plus leave her on a long lead until she's 100% recall safe.
    (I work in a rescue home)
  4. reypuppy

reypuppy New Member

Name:
    Rey
    6JRT's likes this.
    thanks I will do that

just now she sat on the bed next to me, when I looked at her she ran away

I guess thats already some progress :)
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    reypuppy and 6JRT's like this.
    Good post Tina, and welcome Rey.
    Well done for giving this little girl a new start.
    It will take patience, but let her set the pace - the first few days are always a bit daunting.
  6. reypuppy

reypuppy New Member

Name:
    Rey
    So today before she realized I was awake I noticed she was playing with the tennis ball I gave her. She is also eating a bit now. The problem now is that she decided to pee on my bed. a few times I didn't catch her but when I did I couldn't help myself but clap and say "no"! I didn't scream or anything but she was so terrified. I feel so bad. :(
    Since then she looks very sad even more than before and she's hiding from me even more.
    How can I stop her from peeing on the bed without scaring her?
    Do I really have to wait 2-5 weeks to take her for a walk? Anyway I'm afraid that if I take her for a walk now she may have a heart attack she's so sacred of everything.
    Thanks
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    reypuppy likes this.
    Rey - has your little girl had all necessary shots and worming? Because if she has then there is no reason why you cannot take her out for a walk.

Just be prepared to pick her up and carry her if she seems too distressed.
  8. reypuppy

reypuppy New Member

Name:
    Rey
    Yes she has I'm just worried I would be making things worse since she's so scared of everything.
  9. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    reypuppy likes this.
    Try walking her around the garden if she's happy to walk with you, then go round block or green area if you have one close by.

Keep her off your bed & let her in garden every 10 mins like you would with a puppy.
  10. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    Malka and reypuppy like this.
    Hi rey good on you for giving the little girl a home. I agree with above..treat her like a puppy.maybe keep her out of bedroom just in one room with her bed or cage so she feels secure.let her explore garden and keep reassuring her voice and treats.play with ball yourself and ignore her let her come to you so builds confidence.plenty praise when she does come to you. You will get there..you get out what you put in