New pom puppy ill Health

Discussion in 'Pomeranian' started by Aimee, May 12, 2016.

1. Aimee

Aimee New Member

Name:
    Aimee

New pom puppy ill

Hi everyone im Aimee im 28 and i have just got an 11week old Pom yesterday evening ive named Luna (yep the girl from harry potter lol) I got straight on the phone to pets at home to book in for her puppy jabs/micro-chipping etc we was there this morning at 10 to be seen so spent 25 minutes buying loads of cute things bed/carry case and grooming set :) when I got into the vet i told her i hadnt met pups parents and i met the person close to home i expressed my concerns that she felt "heavy" in her stomach which i believe could be worms and that her stools are loose and smell....turns out she has worms and a stomach infection i have medication to give her over the next 7 days and a worming tablet to give her on Sat (as told by vet) on the way home she was sick everywhere it was all over her carry case and all over me I have managed to give her the probiotic paste and her antibiotic got her to drink some water but she wont eat! Is this normal with her stomach being upset (like with a small child/baby?) Im a first time owner and want to make sure she has the best start. If anyone could give advice on her not eating or if i can do anything to make her feel a bit better that would be great. At the moment shes curled up on her new bed with her piggy toy that she slept with last night :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    6JRT's, CaroleC and LMost like this.
    Sadly it sounds like your puppy has come from a Puppy Farm/BYB, and many of these dogs suffer many health problems.

Have you tried her with some cooked chicken ,or you could try ,meat or chicken baby foods.
    Are you in the UK? as by law all puppies should be Micro chipped by breeder.
  4. Aimee

Aimee New Member

Name:
    Aimee
    i am yes im Northern Ireland, my hubby is going to bring some fresh chicken home to cook some for her. Shes not chipped or anything they said she has had all her jabs and been wormed clearly this is not the case, vet said her skin/eyes/nose etc is healthy ive to take her back on the 19th to check how she is doing then if shes all good i can get her jabs and chipped (i need register her with council too ask its a requirement now to have a dog licence but cant until shes chipped plus insurance needs to be done)
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Floppyears and Aimee like this.
    I have to agree with Vee. It is likely that your puppy was bred by a puppy farmer. I'm afraid that lots of these are bred in N. Ireland, and they frequently have agents who pose as breeders in order to make their sales.
    I hope your puppy makes a good recovery, as she will be tiny, only aim to give tiny quantities to start with. Baby food is a good idea as you can smear a little onto her lips until she gets started. Remember to keep her hydrated, fluids are very important for a sickly puppy.

To anyone else who may be reading this thread. Please, do your research and only buy a puppy from a reputable breeder. You should be able to see the puppy at home, and with its mother. The KC Assured Breeder Scheme is a good starting point, though there are breeders who only breed an occasional litter for show who are not members. Be prepared for a caring breeder to ask you lots of questions too. The experience of buying a puppy should not be like buying an item from a shop.
  6. Aimee

Aimee New Member

Name:
    Aimee
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    ive made sure she has access to fresh water that i keep changing to keep it cool as its quiet warm here today she seems more lively now and has eaten some food, she wont keep still now :) if we ever get her a friend im going to find a registered breeder etc il keep you all updated

Attached Files:

7. Aimee

Aimee New Member

Name:
    Aimee
    she loves her pig

Attached Files:

8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Ah bless her. I'm glad she is improving.
    My rescued Beagle boy (on the left in the avatar), was bred in a N. Ireland puppy farm, and sold through a dealer to a pet home, then to a rescue home - that is why I feel so strongly about the subject. The place that he came from has permission for 108 breeding bitches - not the best environment for a pet puppy to start life.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Room temperature water is better for her than cold water which could upset her little tummy. What are you feeding her on?

Vee had a good idea about baby food as that was what I weaned Tikva on, but she was very young and had to be taught how to lap [I had been bottle feeding her]. But I am a raw feeder so once she had teeth and I knew she could cope I minced raw meat for her although still gave her [human] baby cereal and powdered food until she was capable of eating proper raw meat/bones. The baby cereal I bought here, the powdered baby food I bought from the US.
  10. Aimee

Aimee New Member

Name:
    Aimee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Shes on Iams puppy food (dry)shes so lively today its obvious shes feeling better :) stayed up most of the night to make sure she was hydrated and was ok Im back at her vets on thursday morning we gave her some cooked chicken (almost lost a finger when she got a taste lol) I text the man i bought her off to let him know and that it would be best for him to get pups checked out and i got a text back saying i had the wrong number (which i know isnt true as all my texts to and from where still there) feel a bit stupid but i rang rspca just to make then aware that this person could be part of puppy farming and emailed the link off gumtree. Im happy shes getting better my friend said im lucky shes not too ill otherwise she would cost more then shes worth i wasnt happy at all she is priceless id pay anything to get her better some people just dont understand
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Glad that Luna is doing well. Thank you for the update.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Try giving her some minced or finely chopped up raw chicken - but you might lose all your fingers once she gets a taste of raw!

OK, I am a raw feeder but I have no intention of preaching. This is how I learned about raw feeding and I still refer to it at times, even though it is only a rough guide.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=137215
  13. BoerboelMom

BoerboelMom New Member

Name:
    Ife
    I would highly recommend that you don't vaccinate unless your goal is to destroy your dog's immune system. I give my dogs Only Natural Pet HW Protect Herbal Formula on a daily basis to prevent heartworms and intestinal worms (I can highly recommend it). If you only need to treat for worms and don't need heartworm protection, I recommend Only Natural Pet Para-Gone Herbal Formula. This is much safer than the toxic chemicals the veterinarian will give you. I recommend a supplement called Health Concerns Quiet Digestion to boost her appetite. This worked for me when I first brought my Boerboel puppy home and she didn't want to eat out of fear of being in new surroundings.
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    @BoerboelMom - forgive me for saying this but you are not a qualified veterinarian you just promote "Only Natural" homeopathic products. And now you are trying to treat your seven-week old puppy for suspected distemper with your homeopathic "remedies"?

It is up to you what you do with your own puppy, but to tell others not to vaccinate but to use the products you are obviously advertising, is really not what this forum is for.
  15. BoerboelMom

BoerboelMom New Member

Name:
    Ife
    I promote using natural medicine that works. My puppy is actually doing extremely well and is symptom-free. If you think I'm advertising, then I feel sorry for your sense of judgement.
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I'm afraid that I do not believe in homeopathy. Real herbalism, yes, but not sugar pills or water with a 'memory' of a herb. I am beginning to despair about the quality of advice that is appearing on this forum.
  17. Benjamin1995

Benjamin1995 New Member

Name:
    Benjamin
    Yazmin likes this.
    I am anti-homeopathy and pro-science. :p