Should I be concerned? Questions

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog' started by Kimilucky7, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Kimilucky7

Kimilucky7 New Member

Name:
    Kim

Should I be concerned?

Hi everyone. I have a 1.5 year old female Bernese Mountain dog and she has been panting almost constantly lately. I have done some research, but found nothing that really helped me. Before I take her to the vet, I was wondering if any of you encountered the same problem with your dog?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I would go to the vet. There are too many possibles to make a guess, but she could have a raised temperature.
  4. Boerboel

Boerboel New Member

Name:
    Misty
    If you've spent any time around dogs, you know they pant. Panting describes a type of rapid, shallow breathing that speeds evaporation of water from your dog's tongue, and inside his mouth and upper respiratory tract. This is necessary because as his body temp rises, his skin doesn't sweat like a human's does. The normal (non-panting) breathing rate for dogs is 30 to 40 inhalations and exhalations per minute, but a panting dog can take 10 times that many breaths per minute (300 to 400). There are two types of panting: normal and abnormal.
  5. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    Hi I am on my 2nd bernese. Does she seem uncomfortable at all joints for example ?
    Is she sitting in unusual places to her normal places, has she had a season yet ? Some females are late starters.
    Is she hot is the heating on high ? How is she in herself, lethargic or her normal playful self and eating normally ? If she is constantly panting and seems out of sorts of any of her normal behaviours I would say vet visit to get her checked out. Keep us updated on your progress.
  6. Kimilucky7

Kimilucky7 New Member

Name:
    Kim
    She doesn't seem uncomfortable no. I am starting to think that she is just hot. But I also don't want to be wrong. She would be due to start her second season pretty soon. That could also be it. Aside from the panting, nothing has really changed aside from her appetite. Some days it will be god and some days she won't eat her breakfast until late afternoon.
  7. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    I would keep a close eye on her. Could well be she is coming into season I have not had bitches but have read they can become clingy and whiney and out of sorts.
    if you are at all worried take her to the vet as it is hard to actually give correct advice without seeing the dog.
  8. Kimilucky7

Kimilucky7 New Member

Name:
    Kim
    Thanks to all of you for your advice.