Mr Tummel Photos

Discussion in 'Crossbreeds Forum' started by Ballybee, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Ballybee

Ballybee New Member

Name:
    Alyson
    Janet, Anne and CaroleC like this.

Mr Tummel

My beautiful boy will be 7 this year! I don't know where the times gone.

We had a hard 2016, Tummel was diagnosed with SLO and he lost all but 1 nail over a few months, thankfully it's now under control and his nails are growing back nicely as well.

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Ballybee likes this.
    Poor boy. These autoimmune diseases are such a problem to diagnose and to treat. I am glad he is responding to treatment. Out of general interest, how did your vet treat this condition?
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Ballybee likes this.
    Lovely boy, glad that the treatment is working.
  5. Ballybee

Ballybee New Member

Name:
    Alyson
    GsdSlave and CaroleC like this.
    My vet and I worked out a treatment plan together as it's such an uncommon condition. The basic plan was to start supplements (I'll list those at the bottom) along with antibiotics for secondary infections and either hibiscrub or Epsom salt soaks to clean and reduce inflammation in his toes. I also switched his diet from lamb to fish and chicken kibble. A diet high in red meat triggers a flare up so a change was a must.

So, antibiotics for secondary infections.
    - Tramadol and metacam for pain
    - hibiscrub or epsom salt soaks (20 mins)
    - huge diet change
    - daily supplements, biotin, niacinamide, vitamin e, fish oil and green lipped mussel....14 pills a day.

I bought boots to keep his feet safe, and had some steroid cream to help the quicks dry up faster. At night he wore a cone to stop him chewing his feet.

It's an awful thing to watch a dog go from happy and active to spending the day in pain and subdued :( thankfully we got on top of it quickly and have only been on supplements since November :)
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Ballybee and GsdSlave like this.
    You have had fantastic results. This condition used to have such a bleak outlook. From time to time we do come across a post about a dog which is losing its nails. It is great that you have recorded your experience, a ray of hope for anyone else who researches this topic in the future.
    My boy has an autoimmune bowel condition, and has a thread on here about it. A long up and down journey, but it might help someone else someday. I think that is what these forums do best.
    Love to Mr. Tummel, stay well young man.
  7. Ballybee

Ballybee New Member

Name:
    Alyson
    Thank you Carol :) it means a lot to hear positive responses, I had a woman tell me I should have put him down and was cruel for making him suffer :(

I do hope my experience can help someone at some point, my vet has only seen 1 other case in his 20+ years and the only option was to remove the entire nails