Feeding a Dogue de Bordeaux Questions

Discussion in 'Dogue de Bordeaux' started by naomie, Jul 20, 2017.

1. naomie

naomie New Member

Name:
    naomie

Feeding a Dogue de Bordeaux

hello all,
    I have wanted a dogue de Bordeaux since I was 19 years old,
    I am now trying to get a female, but first I need help to if I can afford to feed her,
    now I have been reading up for months
    I no that you can feed them raw or dry food
    now I have a few questions I am trying to be responsible rather than buying one then cant afford to keep it then get rid of it like other people do,
    1A ,can I feed it dry and raw food ??
    1 B, if I did how would it work, give raw in the morning then dry at night ??
    2, what type of raw food ??
    3, what raw food is a big NO NO ??
    4,how much raw food for one sitting ??
    5, how many times a day for raw food ??
    6, if I pick dry food what is best wellbeloved or acana ??
    7, or is there other dry food others use ??
    8, how many times a day do you feed them dry ??
    9, how much dry food for each portion ??
    10, if I was to buy a 15kg bag how long would it last me
    11, where is the best place to buy big bags of dry food I was told bigdogworld
    I no that it is a lot of questions but I really do want to be prepared, and make sure that I can feed her
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    naomie likes this.
    Firstly, have you got deep pockets? :lol:

DDBs are not cheap - not just to feed, everything costs more for large breeds, from things like beds to vet treatment.

RAW food would work out cheaper, but it requires a lot more preparation (and ideally a separate fridge/freezer for the dog).

This thread contains some really good info on RAW feeding: A rough BARF guide (it should also help you work out costs - it mostly depends on the weight of your dog).

Good luck, and let us know how you get on :023:
  4. naomie

naomie New Member

Name:
    naomie
    thank you for the reply,
    yeah I have been looking and they are not cheap to buy, I mean I don't want to breed her she would just be as a pet but still want one with papers, some are charging £950 without,
    no I'm not rich but I have money, ive got a shih Tzu already she get spoiled way to much she has 3 dog beds plus just where ever she wants to plant her ass lol, we never go out without buying her something
    I shall look at the thread thank you
    and ill let you no if I get one
  5. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    naomie likes this.
    Hello Naomi,

Reading this thread I think there will be no problem in you choosing what is right for the dog and your family whether you get a Dogue de Bordeux or not.

I am glad to hear that you are really thinking about all the cost and whether you can afford to give your dog the financial support it needs in order for its belly to be full and healthy. The majority of people these days rush into buying a puppy and realise they can't afford to keep it. That's why I am advertising all these dogs that need adopting at such a rate.

Exercise shouldn't be a problem as you can just take him/her out whilst walking your Shih Tzu. However this particular breed as it is larger may need longer. Be sure not to tire your other dog out whilst trying to get longer walkies.

Anyway I'll leave you to ponder how much is in your pockets, please do let us know what decision you have made. I feel confident you will make the right one.

Jane
    xx

P.S. I'd like to share this picture I found on tinternet. Made me go awwwww. #mummyandbaby #sickofbaby #toughlove

[​IMG]
  6. naomie

naomie New Member

Name:
    naomie
    Innocence likes this.
    Hi Jane
    and thank you
    like is say I have wanted one for years
    I have even tried emailing breeders to get answers but all I get is our dogs come with a food guide on what to feed it,
    I'm not actually getting the answers I want lol
    I have read that for the first year you have to go careful not to let them jump around or long walks due to there joints, not letting them jump off furniture things like that, 5 min walks to start, they get exercise mostly from playing, and as they get older tops 50 min walk, my dolly wont walk that lol but shes getting old was thinking of getting her a buggy anyways so then it wouldn't be so bad
    that picture is beautiful I love it
    and I will let you no in what I decide
    many thanks
    naomie xxx
  7. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Innocence and naomie like this.
    That's true - you must be careful not to over-exercise large-breed dogs (you should wait until they are mature).

Whatever you do, don't go see any puppies unless you are absolutely sure... DDB puppies are some of the cutest - you won't be able to resist :lol:
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    naomie likes this.
    Hello Naomie - I cannot advise about exercise, never having had large breeds but I think Azz has said it all.

As for raw feeding, I started off using the link Azz gave in his message #2 although due to limitations as to what I am able to buy I tweaked it accordingly, but I still refer to that link at times.

And yes, even with a small/medium dog I had to buy another freezer for Pereg's meat! I still call it Pereg's freezer even though she is no longer with me, and my little one is much smaller than she was.

Yes, it is far easier to just tip kibble into a bowl but I feed human quality meat [cannot get pet quality here] so we both eat the same - only I cook my meat and do not eat it raw!

Would I recommend raw feeding? I guess that having done so since I first came across that link I would never go back to kibble, tins, or any other type of dog food. But I dread to think how much a DDB would eat or how much it would cost, and I am sorry that I cannot really advise you about that. You see I only have small dogs although Pereg was maybe 20 kilos and Tikva is 6 kilos. But it does take a lot of freezer space especially if you buy in bulk.

I do hope you find your DDB puppy soon.
  9. naomie

naomie New Member

Name:
    naomie
    CaroleC likes this.
    hi azz,
    yeah I am trying to hold off from going to see puppies because I no if I go ill get one lol,
    I think that I'm doing really well cause I'm one of those if I want something I want it now lol, but seeing all the adverts where DDB are over a year old basically saying they cant cope is really making me think hard,
    and I don't want to be one of those people xx
  10. naomie

naomie New Member

Name:
    naomie
    hi Malka
    thank you for your post,
    to be fair I have always had dogs, and I really honestly did not no about raw food lol must be stupid right,
    yeah Azz is right and I really am thinking hard if I can afford one or not,
    sorry to hear you lost your dogs,
    what breed were they and how much food would you make at one time ??, how long would it last you ?? and how much would that cost you ??
    I really do thank all of you for your comments on my post
    naomie
    xxxxxx
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    naomie likes this.
    Hello Naomie - I did not feed Lexi raw as I did not know about it, only Pereg I do not remember when. Maybe June/July 2011 but I am not sure. Both Lexi and Pereg were mutts of no known origion. Little Tikva was raw fed once I had bottle fed her, weaned her, and onto raw. She is a cross-breed - dam a gigantic obese maiden 6-year old bitch who got "caught" by a little dog across the road. A Minpin.

Unlike Pereg, who being epileptic and I had to watch her weight, I no longer weigh anything. Tikki wants, Tikki gets, and she never asks for more.

But Naomie you cannot compare my little ones to a DDB - either as a puppy or an adult. And believe me, raw feeding is not for everyone. Not just the work involved but learned about what supplements and vitamins they might need.

Raw feeding is not rocket science but the 80% meat, 10% bone, and 10% organ meat is not really that, nor is it as easy as it sounds.

But no way would I ever go back to how I fed before.
  12. naomie

naomie New Member

Name:
    naomie
    Thank you Malka
    yeah I no your right of course a DDB is so much larger and its finding out the amount they need, like I said in my first post I think lol, I have tried emailing breeders and all I get is well when you buy one of ours they will come with a program this that and the other, and nothing more lol,
    so thank you for your reply hun
    naomie xxxxx
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    naomie likes this.
    Just a little aside Naomie.
    Though they are popular and attractive dogs, DDB are a short lived breed with an average lifespan of around six years. Cancer and heart disease are the most common causes of death. Joint problems, especially hip dysplasia, affect around half of them. Do your research well, and do check whether you would be able to take out insurance.
    Have a look at the Dogue de Bordeaux Club of Great Britain webpage. You should be able to find a knowledgeable contact there if you decide to go ahead.
  14. naomie

naomie New Member

Name:
    naomie
    hi CaroleC
    thank you for your reply
    I have been researching best I can, and like I said I have been trying to contact breeds but with no joy as yet but I will keep trying
    and I will look at the webpage
    many many thanks