Bernese mountain puppy -urgent help needed Questions

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog' started by sdianamontreal, May 15, 2018.

1. sdianamontreal

sdianamontreal New Member

Name:
    sdianas

Bernese mountain puppy -urgent help needed

Hi everyone!
    we adopted a bernese mountain puppy about 8 days ago, from family members who couldn't handle and care for him anymore (they have 2 little children).

He seemed fine at first he loved me and my bf. Always playing, eating well, we take him for walks in the parks.

Last night the family who had him for a month came over, he was acting wild, biting, running, literally he went from 20% to 120% wild. he kept bitting the little kids while playing I know he didn't mean any harm. Usually he is calm...collected...he listens. We ended up scolding him. My hands were literally so badly scratched that I was embarrassed to go to work. I was blocking the kids little ffed from his bitting and ended up being hurt.

After they left he became depressed completely ->ignored us. just went to a corner. this morning i left to work he seemed upset and my bf told me he ignored his callings, and just locked himself under my table. I came home earlier to check up on him he was joyful after i fed him he started to run right towards my hands and biting.

Can anyone pls tell me what's wrong. My bf has been disciplining him on a daily basis since he got here. I tend to spoil him.

thank you in advance. Do keep in mind this is our first dog, and it was unplanned we just didn't want him to change homes too much and decided to adopt. So we are not experts but I've been reading dozens of dog books and nothing worked so far.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    What a shame for you all, it’s not the start you expected
    I am certainly no expert with dog behaviour, but, I’m sure things will settle down. Your pup has already had 2 experiences which he will still remember, the first been taken from his mother and his puppy pack and secondly his experience with the first family. Imagine if that was one of your children, they would be frightened and confused, they do not understand what is happening and also what is expected of them. It’s for us to give our puppies confidence which in turn will bring good manners and a happy puppy
    By the way how old is he ?
    Have you considered crate training him, it doesn’t suit everyone, but, it suited us and now Yoji is 16 months old the crate is packed away in the garage, job done !
    I once had some puppy teeth damage on my arm and as you felt awkward about it and kept my sleeves down until it was healed.
    Don’t dispare, but, you are going to need a lot of time and patience
    One thing to bear in mind, it’s usually puppy “ mouthing “ rather than “ biting “ when ours was mouthing we used to encourage a soft toy into his mouth, it really worked, so much so that now when he coming to say hello to anyone he automatically goes and gets one of his soft toys, we sometimes tie shirt sleeves into big knots or an old tea towel.
    This is him with his soft toy instead of mouthing, I know other members will be fed up of this same photo, but, it makes my point clear
    21E6DA7D-C922-48B9-97F9-C291E98BDD3B.jpeg
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Hello sdianas - first of all there is a big difference between a puppy nipping and a deliberate and hard bite, and he will not understand, or like, small children rushing around him "playing" with him. He is not a toy and it is understandable the way he reacted. How did they treat him when he was with them?

Also, you say you have only had him for eight days and your boyfriend has been disciplining him on a daily basis. That is not the way to treat a new puppy who has yet to learn what is or is not right - and all puppies nip.

My little one, who is three-years-old today, will still nip at my hands when she is excited when I play with her, although very gently. It is her way of showing love and she will stop when I say "gentle".
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC and Malka like this.
    How old is the pup?

It was really unfair of his previous owners to come visit so soon as he hadn’t had time to settle in, I would imagine all the mouthing ect: was due to over excitement.

I would ask them to stay away for a few months until he has settled a bit more.

In what way does your BF discipline him.?
  6. sdianamontreal

sdianamontreal New Member

Name:
    sdianas
    thank you guys for sharing.
    my puppy was born feb 13th. I know he needs time to adjust. We tried using the crate, yet he was very distressed and crying. So we removed all carpets and he can roam around the house freely.

he is getting better now, 48 hrs passed and he is finally not ignoring us.

by disciplining I meant that he is teaching him to sit, and come and pee outside.
    nothing drastic as he is still learning. He will be a big dog eventually.