Picollo got bitten! General Chat

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by gzhpcu, Jun 24, 2018.

1. gzhpcu

gzhpcu New Member

Name:
    Phil

Picollo got bitten!

My 9 year old Jack Russell got bitten by a big black dog on the back of the neck. He was in our garden, when on an a pathway bordering our fence, a woman with her dog not on a leash walked by. Her dog came up to the fence and started snarling. My fearless Picollo grew angry, defending his territory. He got so angry that he forced himself under the fence to attack the much bigger dog. I heard them fighting and the woman screaming. By the time I walked down a stairway, opened the gate and ran down the pathway, the woman had disappeared. Picollo was angry and ready to pursue the black dog. I picked up friend and walked back to our garden.

It was then that I noticed a bit of blood on his neck. i went with my wife to a veterinarion, who shaved his hair on the back and side of the neck to better inspect the wound. Luckily the bites were superficial. He got an antibiotic injection, and will have to take antibiotics fir 10 days.

He is fine again. What a scare. Lucky he was not injured seriously.

My question: does anyone know how long it will take for his fur to grow back? Thanks.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    First of all, do not panic. Pereg, the girl in my avatar, was attacked by a loose/stray dog and had a clump of hair missing on her shoulder. No blood, just a clump of hair torn out and missing. My vet came round and flushed out the wound and she had a couple of staples put in, which I took out a few days later. And as far as i can remember she had an antibiotic shot and maybe 5 days of anti-b pills.

The wound healed very quickly and her hair grew back within days, even though my vet had shaved it [with my hair clippers!]
  4. gzhpcu

gzhpcu New Member

Name:
    Phil
    His fur has still yet to recover.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    It takes around 10 -14 days for lacerated skin to heal. I expect my dogs to take around a month to regrow a covering of hair on a shaved operation site.
  6. gzhpcu

gzhpcu New Member

Name:
    Phil
    CaroleC likes this.
    Fur fully recovered.