Is he under weight??? Diet

Discussion in 'Dogue de Bordeaux' started by Haylee, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Haylee

Haylee New Member

Name:
    Haylee

Is he under weight???

Hello my name is Haylee and I have a Dogue de Bordeaux, his name is Potus, and he is 6 months old. He is around 55 pounds and I can still see his ribs. We feed him twice a day along with our other two dogs (Cane Corso Mastiff and Pit Lab). I have researched other dogs around his age and they all seem to be a lot larger than Potus is and all seem to have developed more classic Dogue de Bordeux traits. Here are some pictures of Potus, please let me know what you think.
    IMG_5962.jpg IMG_5963.jpg IMG_5964.jpg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Puppyweights.com gives an estimated 70lb 6oz. for the adult weight of your Dogue, and suggests that this is 12% below average. Potus does look slim, but I think I would prefer a puppy of this breed not to be too heavy at this age. As long as he is a happy and healthy dog, he will develop at his own rate, and bear in mind that people are inclined to exaggerate about the size and weight of their mastiff breeds.
    I really don't know what to say about the last photo!
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Haylee, welcome to you and your pack to Breedia from Tikva and me :039:

As Carole said, Potus does look slim [I also do not know what to say about the last picture - he looks like he is trying to tell you something but even he does not know what it is!]

You say you feed him twice a day - what do you feed him on? At his age I would have thought three times a day would be better, but as you have the other two that might be difficult for you. Are you still feeding him puppy food? Maybe an adult food could be better for him? I do not know anything about that or on any types/brands of kibble but there are many other Breedia members who are and can give you advice.
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC and Malka like this.
    He'll grow at his own pace. If your vet is happy with him just enjoy him and what he matures into.

Weight has many factors besides food. For instance a very active dog will always burn the calories.
  6. Deano227

Deano227 New Member

Name:
    Deano227
    CaroleC likes this.
    Hi Haylee
    I have a Dogue, he is 5 1/2 months and currently weighing in at 38.2kg.
    That’s 85lbs in your language across the pond!
    I feed mine on a raw diet.
    Currently he is eating 625g of food 3 x a day!
    What food are you feeding your Dogue?
    How many times a day are you feeding him?
    Are you giving him anything inbetween meals? This is my boy Red
    Happy to try and help wherever I can

Attached Files:

7. Deano227

Deano227 New Member

Name:
    Deano227
    This is my boys weight chart. I have been weighing him and adjusting his food intake weekly

Attached Files: