Frenchie soiling in house General Chat

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Georgia Hodgkinson, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Georgia Hodgkinson

Georgia Hodgkinson New Member

Name:
    Georgia Hodgkinson

Frenchie soiling in house

Hi all,

We have a year old frenchie called Bev who we are still struggling to house train.

She’s had a crate since a pup and never ever soils in her crate. She can stay overnight for 8 hours with no accidents, get up, have a fuss and a play and THEN she will ask to go outside to pee/poo.

The problem arises when we leave her out of her crate. Overnight or in the day, she will more than likely have an accident in the kitchen/living room (wherever we leave her).

We know she can hold it in, she definitely knows how to ask to go out (and doesn’t ask to go very often) and we don’t want to leave her in a crate forever. Whilst she may be comfortable in her crate, I’d like to give her a bit more space in the day to move about between her dog walker coming to see her.

Any suggestions welcome and thanks in advance :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    How much time is your girl left during the day in between her dog walker coming to see her?

Perhaps it might be an idea to take her out for a pee and poo as soon as you let her out of her crate in the morning, and then fuss her when she has done it and comes in.

And no, you cannot leave her in a crate forever.
  4. Georgia Hodgkinson

Name:
    Georgia Hodgkinson
    Hi, she is left for approx 4 hours each way. I try to leave her out for at least one of those 4 hour spells and sometimes she doesn’t do anything but sometimes she does. She is small for her breed but our vet has said he can’t see anything wrong with her bladder...?
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    How old is she?
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Is she spayed?
    My girl has mild spay incontinence, and sleeps in a crate with absorbent bedding because of this. Being retired, we are normally at home with her during the daytime, so that is no problem. She will ask to go out to do her poos, but for her wees, she just sits quietly by the door and waits for us to notice her - possibly because she lived as a kennel dog for her first six years.
    We stagger our bedtimes, so her night is only 7.5 hours, and we give her an additional 3.30am quick chance to wee, which she does. She is on a maintenance dose of Propalin, but despite this, she will usually wet her bed once or twice a month. Sometimes it is such a tiny amount that I am sure must be an unconscious leak, at other times it can be a little more. She is worse in cold weather, and she actually managed to go dry for a few months this Summer!
    I tried a variety of supplements and herbal products, before putting her on the Propalin. The supplementary hormone alternative treatment, Incurin, actually made her worse. Her urine tests as normal, except that it is a little dilute. My vet suspects that her problem may be the position in which the bladder can lie in spayed bitches. He has offered to do a small operation to tack the bladder in a higher position but in her case, unless she got worse, I would rather cope as we are.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I do not think size has anything to do with it, and she is very young to have spay incontinence, that is if she has been spayed.

You talk about your vet has said he can’t see anything wrong with her bladder [what tests has he done?] but you are talking about her soiling, not urinating, when she is not in her crate.
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Oh sorry, I missed spotting the age!
  9. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Ah, sorry, I missed the age too :)

I have found that it's not unusual for small dogs to be fully trustworthy in the housetraining department later than their larger counterparts.

It may be down to the size of the bladder. If she's held it all night, it may be more of a struggle for her to hold in the daytime too (think about it, aren't we just the same?)

However, as it's only happening when she is left, it could also be that the double whammy of discomfort at being alone plus the discomfort of a nagging bladder is just a little too much just now so she relieves the only one she can control
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Does the dog pee or poo when left? "Soiling" usually means defecating not urinating, so what exactly is the problem with the little girl?
  11. Georgia Hodgkinson

Name:
    Georgia Hodgkinson
    Hi, it’s a mix of both. If left overnight she will do both. She hasn’t been spayed but is due to be spayed in April this year.

I’m sure it’s behavioural but we just aren’t sure what to try and don’t want to confuse her even more!
  12. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Make sure you clean any spots inside with an enzyme cleaner to remove all odors, if she smells urine or poop anywhere indoors she'll continue thinking that's the area to use.

I would start to train her to 'go' on command,as you're walking her about, say something like, ‘toilet’ or whatever word you want ,when she goes really praise her reward and move on. When she begins to 'get it,' as you exit the house say your chosen word .