Griffons such as I once bred. Photos

Discussion in 'Griffon Bruxellois' started by Malka, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.

Griffons such as I once bred.

These are not pictures of my Griffons because as yet I have not even looked at old photographs and do not have a printer to copy pictures of my own Griffs.

They are just to give an idea of what my lot looked like, all those years ago.

Red Rough

[​IMG]

Red Smooth aka Petit Brabançon

[​IMG]
    Maybe one day I will get the photographs of my own Griffs out, and will get someone to copy them for me so that I can show you some of them.

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Just to reiterate, these are not pictures of my own dogs but the pictures are not copyrighted. I just used them to try to describe my Griffs.

That lovely Red Rough is in need of hand stripping which will show his/her pure red colouring and body shape, but he/she has the same face as my roughs. The smooths? I know they are not mine but they are identical to my smooths, and like many breeders in those days, we tended to prefer smooths.

But unlike Chihuahuas where long and short coats were/are classed separately, Griffons were all classed the same, rough or smooth, and it was up to luck what the pups would be. As an example, my smooth Z girl, from the first litter I bred [dam being a rough and sire a smooth], had two litters [I only bred my girls twice], mated to the same rough sire both times. The first litter produced two rough boys. The second litter she did the almost impossible and produced five puppies. Two roughs and three smooths.

I really must get those photographs out... one day.
  4. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Cute little things. Lol they top out at no more than 12 lbs. That is smaller than Oreo...
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I do not think they even weighed that Myra. They really were small, much smaller than Tikki who is ~6.5kg probably less at the moment as her weight tends to fluctuate, and they were nowhere her size, small as she is. The puppies were really tiny.

I know that in the US they used to be called monkey dogs - no idea why, but what I do know is that I not only had to make a large, high pen but also securely cover it as a month old Griff could climb up and out of anything smaller.

I used to collect children's fireguards to make puppy pens. Anything to keep the little pups in, but luckily I had a fully fenced in back yard for all of my Griffs, and at night they went into a night room which was a part of my house.

Do I miss them? Of course I do. But that was then and now is now and now Tikva is my main, and only, canine companion. I just do not feel ready to get out the photographs of my Griffs yet, but I will tell you something - when a couple who I had vetted turned up to pick up the puppy that was for them, my son turned up and said "Sir, why are you here?". The man was one of his teachers at his grammar school!
  6. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I have never ever seen one. They are extremely unpopular here. But they are very cute. I like the rough ones better. I would never own such a tiny breed but I definitely can see their appeal.

All I have is 40+ kg Nigredo and a big brown puppy...

Who by the way has been acting incredibly bad lately. He somehow was able to pull a cord THROUGH the bars of his crate and chew it. Cost $20 this time to replace. And he realizes now he can reach the top of the table with his paws... BAD!!

Super greedy, eats everything. Stole a bag of potato chips. Potato chips! Nigredo won't touch potato chips. I forgot that Malone is not Nigredo.

My mother just calls him BROWN now. Whenever he is doing something bad (which seems to be ALL the time now) she just tells me... Get BROWN.

He lays in it like this.... 0825192355~2.jpg
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    mjfromga likes this.
    Griffons are not tiny - they are just small. And my mentor used to send some of her pups to the US but that was such a long time ago and way beyond my memory. But as for your [ahem] BROWN thing - cute little Malone - his crate is very high compared with Tikva's. And she has two [she is spoiled] full size soft padded cushion mattresses plus a half size one at the sleeping end of her crate.

She is never fed in her crate nor does she have a water bowl in it. Her crate is for night time sleeping and she only goes in it when she decides it is bed time.

Back on the subject of my Griffs - I always took photographs of my pups with their new moms when they came to collect them. And those photos are in the box that I can not as yet get myself to open. But I remember so much about them. Both puppies and their new moms. Never made a penny from any of them but I have the satisfaction that my pups were perfect specimens of the breed, thanks to my mentor, and that they all went to really good homes.

I kept in contact with most of the people and stayed with one family for the day and night when I went to collect my twin from Gatwick airport. I do not remember their names but the father went and got a load of take-away fish and chips and we watched The Sound Of Music on their television as their young daughter loved it. I also stayed with a couple of families after I had come to Israel and went back to England for the first and last time after the Gulf War.
  8. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I am glad your pups all found good homes and were healthy and well built doggies. I'm sure their families were happy to have them. They aren't popular in the US.

As for BROWN, I do not put water in his crate as he just knocks it over. I only put food if he gets a bit restless. He gets NO bedding as he destroys it. I've tried towels etc. He just plays with them and tears them up.

When he is loose in here... I often take up the water bowl (on top of his crate) because he ends up hitting it and spilling it or he ends up accidentally splashing his feet into it.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    No, I was not going to collect my twin from Gatwick, but to collect Mother from one of her holidays. It was 1985 and because I knew I would be leaving England I did not have my own car so rented one. And because I had so many airport pick ups and drop offs I ended up with a brand new Renault 4 for the whole summer. The one that had the gear stick sticking out from the wotsit on the front? Had it for months and I loved it.

So. Took Mother to Gatwick for one of her holidays. Collected twin and brother-in-law from Heathrow. Took b-in-law back to Heathrow to go somewhere for a conference. Back to Heathrow to collect him. Back to Gatwick [which is when I stayed with that family] to collect Mother.

And at some time, probably early on, went to Heathrow to collect my daughter who had been at boarding school here in Israel.

The whole summer driving to and from Heathrow and Gatwick airports.

But because I knew that I would be leaving England, the Griffs that I had were all found wonderful homes and my mentor took my - cannot think of the word - my then prospective future main bitch. Sorry but I know that is not the correct term but I just cannot remember what I should have called her. I mean I remember her name, of course,but how do I describe her as my future main bitch?

Sorry, I forget my English so much now.
  10. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Prospective dam??

I'm not into the breeding scene, but that sounds like it might the the words
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Brood prospect?
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Foundation Bitch is the name I could not think of. Her dam was the one my mentor gave me on breeding terms, the terms being that she had the choice of just one puppy from the first litter. That girl, a red rough [we only had reds] was big for a Griff and had had one litter... and lay on them all. So no puppies. Because I was able to be with her all the time [I used to sleep on the couch in my living room with a puppy/birthing pen in the corner of the room], I was able to watch her. And being a big girl we reckoned she could have another two litters with me, and G, from the second litter, was the one who was going to be my foundation bitch.

Because I had the original bitch on breeding terms, her offspring had to be registered as [KC affix of owner] Name, of [my KC affix] as she had not then been officially transferred to my ownership. This girl was going to be the first from that line registered with my own affix as owner/breeder. I did have my own line starting from another Griff before my mentor gave me the big girl, so I did have pups that were registered under my own affix as owner/breeder, and had kept a bitch from each litter, but this girl from that particular line, was intended to be my main line.

We had gone to a meeting [not a show, although some of us took dogs] of a northern Griff club and it was planned that the owner of a male Griff who was the son of a line of champions, was going to be used as the sire for G to start this new line.

But things changed. I won a small amount on the Football Pools [someone on the estate where I lived used to come round every Thursday and I spent all of 2/6d each week] and went to Israel to visit my daughter who was at boarding school. And during that visit decided that I wanted to give up everything in England and come to live here. Which I did. After I had found wonderful homes for the tribe I had, and G went to my mentor.
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I would call the original female of my line the foundation bitch.
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Chris B likes this.
    Yes Carole - she was going to be my foundation bitch. My other Griffs originally came from a couple who divorced and neither one wanted her. So she was transferred to my ownership and that was why I found my mentor when I was looking whether she was a good example of the breed. And all subsequent puppies [I only used my mentors sires] were registered under my KC affix... but my mentor and I wanted to start a line that was just mine with no other lines mixed in.

But it did not happen did it, and that G [used to call her the G the gannet] went back to my mentor and was signed over to her.

It would be easy for me to check KC records to track my Griffons, but I do not want to. It is satisfactory enough for me to know that all of them went to the perfect homes for them.
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I do not understand why a thread about my Griffons is now spammed by a French Bulldog who is permitted to post his website.

And I am not permitted to report it.
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Was it on this thread? If so, I can't see it. Think it must have been deleted.
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Yes it was on this thread. Someone who posted four or more posts about a Frenchie, giving his website address.

I did report it but then I got a message that I could not report it.

Az mah. So what.

Amit is here so I have to go.